• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your current distance goal

Distance goal?

• Total voters
I'm old and broken. I can with some regularity get 300+. But I'd like that distance to be routine. Even though I'm a legend in my own mind, I'm not completely delusional and with the clock ticking my potential for 350 or more isn't very likely.

Like many others, I am less concerned with distance than accuracy. Doesn't matter if I can throw 400', if I don't know where it's going to land.
When I first started my driving form overhaul, I said that I wanted to be able to throw a Roc 300' with, say, 75% effort.
Now, I'm starting to get putters out to 300' every now and then.
Still not satisfied with my accuracy and consistency.
I marked 350' as my distance goal.
If I can get a Roc out to 300', I should be able to get a tern out to 350'.

Much more work to do.

A Roc to 300 regularly, you should be able to put a Tern 400+ and fairway drivers 350+. Sounds like you have some nose angle issues.

Right now I'd just like to hit 350 consistently. I think I touch it once in a blue moon when the stars aline perfectly, but I average around 300 to 320 as my max, which works ok for a lot of courses, but hitting somewhere around 350, and maybe eventually 400, would be enough for me

In all reality I'm not as concerned about adding distance at this point. I voted 600' on the poll because I currently hit 470-500' consistently with big shots going 500-550' when I really need it. Being able to throw much over 500' is rarely a necessity since most holes you play (A) aren't over 500' (B) have significant barriers to throwing a 500' shot and (C) accuracy out to 500' can be tough. I am sure I will one day throw a 600' airshot but I doubt it is on a "typical" disc golf hole with "flat elevation" and no tailwind. I would trade a consistent 600' drive for 10-15% more accuracy putting.

most holes i play are technical so having a 500' drive is useless. so 400' is the max i would like. Right now it is anywhere from 325 - 360 (occasionally i can get a 400 with my lace and D2). i am content with accuracy over distance.

just need to practice more putting from over 50'

A Roc to 300 regularly, you should be able to put a Tern 400+ and fairway drivers 350+. Sounds like you have some nose angle issues.

You're probably correct.
My biggest focus right now, besides hitting the line consistently, is pulling through on a level plane and nose angle is also involved in that.
Lately, I have been working on the reachback (using a wide rail) and on weight shift.

Like I said, a work in progress.

RHBH: 500'
LHBH: 420'
RHFH: 300'
LHFH: 200'
RHOH: 200'
LHOH: 100'

But distance goals are on the back burner, and can usually be accomplished by trying to attain other non-distance goals.

My most pressing goal right now is birdying open 300' holes.

In all reality I'm not as concerned about adding distance at this point. I voted 600' on the poll because I currently hit 470-500' consistently with big shots going 500-550' when I really need it. Being able to throw much over 500' is rarely a necessity since most holes you play (A) aren't over 500' (B) have significant barriers to throwing a 500' shot and (C) accuracy out to 500' can be tough. I am sure I will one day throw a 600' airshot but I doubt it is on a "typical" disc golf hole with "flat elevation" and no tailwind. I would trade a consistent 600' drive for 10-15% more accuracy putting.

That is pretty lofty, a lot of touring pros don't have numbers like that.

There's another factor to throwing far. I've I'm throwing as hard as I can to get 375 out of a shot and you're throwing an 80% fairway driver for that distance, you're going to be alot more accurate than I am. This is a big part of the huge distance goals.

That is pretty lofty, a lot of touring pros don't have numbers like that.

29ge4xy.png

Obviously take this for whatever its worth to you but this is a screen shot of my udisc measurements. The 650' shot was a roller on a golf course course. All measurements were done with -+16 feet of accuracy. Udisc may not be the most accurate measurements but its all I got.

29ge4xy.png

Obviously take this for whatever its worth to you but this is a screen shot of my udisc measurements. The 650' shot was a roller on a golf course course. All measurements were done with -+16 feet of accuracy. Udisc may not be the most accurate measurements but its all I got.

I use u disc also, it is pretty accurate. I wasn't doubting, just saying your numbers are lofty. You have to admit the roller on a golf fairway is somewhat tin cup-ish, lol.

That's why I never make mention of throwing over 600' haha I know it was fluky and probably would never take place on a "typical" disc golf course. I definitely like being able to throw far but again I would give up some of that distance for better putting percentages. In my mind 450' is the ideal distance to be able to throw. Anything over that is a bonus and will rarely be utilized.

I'm at 380-390' pretty consistently with Destroyers right now. When I'm playing a lot, it might bump up a little bit. I was throwing over 400' pretty consistently mid-summer. But even a little break in playing, and I'm back to 380'.

If I could hit that 400' mark consistently I would be happy. I just don't really see it happening, I am never going to practice consistently enough.

Not throwing consistently will deduct noticeable distance from your throws. This weekend I threw for the first time in probably 6 months. Form felt rusty, arm felt dead. Took probably 30 throws to feel like I was getting even adequate distance. Maintaining your top distance takes some regular work.

I throw backhand. Can do 380' all day long. When things are good that will bump up to about 410'.

I voted 450, not because its my goal to reach, but a goal to maintain the next 15 years. The plan is to work on staying in (getting back into) shape.

I threw further with lesser discs 5 years ago. Some time away from the game, and I am still happy with my D, and happier with other facets of my game.

Fwiw I am 30.

I'll be 60 next month and just now can get 300' regularly since following SW22's, HUB's, and countless others guidance for the past 14 months. With daily practice, video taping, and rereading/rewatching all of the great "how to's" I think 350' might be possible within the next year.

That's why I never make mention of throwing over 600' haha I know it was fluky and probably would never take place on a "typical" disc golf course. I definitely like being able to throw far but again I would give up some of that distance for better putting percentages. In my mind 450' is the ideal distance to be able to throw. Anything over that is a bonus and will rarely be utilized.

Spread the knowledge please.