• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your favorite downhill hole?

Horning's Hideout, Hole 8, Meadow Ridge. 420 feet long with 124 foot drop through a tree tunnel. You will want to throw more then one but after the first one kicks way wide or flips in the wind, will change your mind about this quick. This course has a lot of up and down.

f56b94af.jpg

Hippy007

z9.jpg

Yellow = ground
Red = flightline

Z-Boaz hole 9 is always fun. A blind shot, about 360 ft. and maybe 80 ft of drop. To start off, you have to clear the tree-tops, maybe 15 ft higher than the box. Straight out about 250-300 ft, then fade in towards the target.

26320_m.jpg

#19 at Hickory Hills in Traverse City, MI.

20325_l.jpg

This is a course that could have a lot of up and down holes but the designer used constraint (in a good way in my opinion) by using elevation more subtly throughout the course. It then culminates in this hole: one huge downhill bomb. The payoff hole. Definitely one of my favorites in the state.

There is a continuation of the slope behind the basket, so the approach is always very tough. Not only one of the best downhill holes but one of the best holes period!

More Photos: http://www.discgolfscene.com/courses/Hickory_Hills/Hole_19/20325
i figured someone would mention this one. major risk reward on this one, if you overshoot it left you could have a ridiculous blind uphill shot coming back. heres a couple shots i took there this fall. traverse city and grand traverse bay in the background.
IMG_1815-1.jpg

IMG_1818.jpg

Ozark Mountian 1-800-Collect (Hole #11)

Tee
6a219e28.jpg

Edge of Hill
81b2abef.jpg

Looking back from pin
a08f547d.jpg

Besides all the other long, brutal, challenging goodness on this course, this whole makes me want to play it even more.

I must LOVE bombing off any kind of hill! Seriously, this thread and the pictures makes my heart race! One or two of these shots are a must in my book for a 5-disc course. 5-disc courses need that complete variety of shots and terrain!

Hole 11 at The Tailings in Iron River MIhttp://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3925 It's about 350', steep drop and, as you can see, very narrow, to the left dogleg, then about another 250' slightly down to the pin. Awesome hole!

This one is a beauty and requires power AND accuracy. You need to huck it like a 375' drive on flat land, but you can't turn it over much at HSS or you'll be OB over the path and you still need it to come back and give some LSS fade, but then also not too much fade or you'll be in rough on the left. It's almost a 90 dogleg left, and the additional flat length to the basket means that even a monster drive off the hill leaves you with a 150' upshot with OB right of the pin.

I must LOVE bombing off any kind of hill! Seriously, this thread and the pictures makes my heart race! One or two of these shots are a must in my book for a 5-disc course. 5-disc courses need that complete variety of shots and terrain!

I'm going to agree with you there. I don't think you can properly have a 5 disc course without at least one big downhill bomb.:hfive:

#3 at Golden Hills... Nice! I just threw a little tomahawk with an Aviar when I played it and it landed on its' top and slid down to the basket. When I tried to actually throw the hole RHBH, no matter how easy, it seemed to just sail on by over the big rocks and down the gully.

Here's a pic. Missed my 5 minute editing window.

picture.php

fun hole- used to be hole 1 before they reconfigured the course- easy little overhand throw.

in virginia i'd say the pick of the litter is 17 at walnut creek. 15 at hawk hollow is probably the best hole in the state but is only severely downhill for half of it.

Apparently there are now two hole 18s there, both of which play off the top of the dropoff all the way down to that same basket, pretty awesome to play two 18 hole courses both ending on shots like that. Diamond X is just about at the top of my wishlist, I love extreme courses like that.

Diamond X: So Sweeeet..

Awesome to bomb that shot on 18, and it only takes a good 15 minutes to rock climb down the 200 ft. bluff to your disc...

41790_g.jpg

Last edited:
Downhill bombers are sure pick-me-up holes after heavy woods and tons of uphill shots!!! oh wait, that's Winter Park I'm thinking of. Yeah for hole 15!!!!

Great down hill hole in Upstate SC include 2, 6 and 15 at Red B. Owens in Easley; 11 & 17 at Shaver Rec in Seneca.

Not much in the way of drastic elevation at my course, but #4 and #11 are both fun downhill shots, my favorite being #11...only 181', with OB creek just behind the pin and a small tree just to the front right of the basket to knock down any sharp RHBH hyzer shots (as well as a not-very-LHBH-friendly tree even earlier on the fairway):
add6f60a.jpg

5fc67c86.jpg

Winter Park #15 has been mentioned several times, definitely one of my favorites! Hole #9 at Silver Mountain kind of reminded me of WP #15, 600' down a (pretty rough) ski hill...I landed about 30' from the basket on this one!
5304ff86.jpg

Highbridge has so many epic downhill holes, I won't even bother to list them all here, but Gold #8, 1325' all downhill, is a blast! It'd take too many pics to showcase the entire hole, so moving on...

Blueberry Hill #2 and #3 are both awesome bombers with multiple pin locations.

Hole #2 plays to the old elevated bolf tees (usually into a prevailing headwind) surrounded by rocks:
d9adfbfd.jpg

Hole #3 plays into the same direction as #2, so again you usually have a headwind to deal with:
a048b08d.jpg

There are so many great downhill shots here in CA that I might not remember some of them, but lets try.

There's hole 26 at Birds of Paridise (though there are alot of good downhill holes there)
From the Tee
0156bdaf.jpg

From the Pin looking back to the Tee
0edafb08.jpg

There's hole 17 at Tahoe Vista
From the Tee
ed60967d.jpg

From the Basket
dd06c6df.jpg

I'm suprised that no one has mentioned DeLa's top of the world - hole 27
9e8e1131.jpg

Don't forget this new one in Va....

Hole #17 at Liberty University... Not sure of the elevation, but a beautiful throw.......

Attachments

• 724be2e7.jpg
    724be2e7.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 24