• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your personal top 5 to 10 courses and how and why you rated them that way...

I've played all 4 corners of the USA. I've played Flip City, Cranberry Park Ct, Beaver Meadows, Pier Park in Portland, Sloterpark in Amsterdam. But there's one course that haunts my thoughts everytime I think about disc golf and that's Deerfield Park in Mt Pleasant MI. You go left, you go right, you go up, you go down. It's tight and technical without being annoying. You have to bring your A game, but not your "magic wand because this is impossible" game. And there is a pond to swim in at the end of 18 with a beach. One day I will travel the 2000 miles to play it again...

Last edited:
Here is a west coast perspective:
1.) Poli Poli course, Maui HI. This course has a magical feeling when you start playing. There are no cement tees or even regular baskets. This does not matter because you are playing on the side of a volcano in a tropical rain forest. I have never and will never play in a more awesome place the rest of my life.

2.) Delaveaga DGC, Santa Cruz CA. I've only played the course once and it was during the final nine of the 2011 worlds. Score does not matter when you play this course because one is so excited to be playing epic DG. I played when the course was completely empty and in championship condition so I will admit to a bias, but this place is freaking awesome.

3.) Tahoe Vista DGC, North Lake Tahoe CA. I have been playing this course for a few years now and it never ceases to amaze me. I have played all A positions, B positions, and C positions and this course offers everything one would want when playing. Oh yeah it also has the best view of Lake Tahoe on hole 17 in the whole Tahoe basin.

4.) Zephyr Cove DGC, Zephyr Cove NV. My most played course in the Tahoe basin and the biggest place in my heart. There is no course that has kicked my ass so hard by the 18th hole and still have had the biggest smile for miles. There is a good chance that you will play the entire round without seeing another person and your dog can run wild.

5.) Bijou DGC, South Lake Tahoe CA. This is where Tahoe disc golf started an avalanche into one of the most epic DG areas in the USA. 27 holes that will teach you how to hit a tree or carve epic lines. This is what courses should be based off of. My only gripe is that the course gets crowded and the crowds tend to be chuckers.

6.) Black Butte DGC, Orland CA. This is a personal bias but one cannot beat the landscape. This course is taking great steps to becoming one of the best in the state. Multiple pins are in and cement tees are to come.

7.) Golden Gate Park, SF CA. How does this course stay in the pristine condition? Locals who care and meticulously maintain a course that exists in a town gone crazy. The course layout is perfect, that is all I can say.

8.) Black Mouse, Felton CA. This place gave me a sense of home when I played. I don't know why it gave me that feeling but I believe it is the epic redwood trees that your are playing with. You can play the course with a midrange and a putter but that does not mean you are going to get anywhere near par.

9.) Turtle Rock DGC, Markleeville CA. This is the most under rated course in the Tahoe area (that's because it is one of the most remote). Sagebrush and pines make for a great layout and a challenge to any level player.

10.) Lava Creek DGC, Paradise CA. This is an extreme personal bias because I made all of the benches and tee signs. This is a retreat for myself when I want to clear my mind and see some good people. I love the owners and that is why I donate my time to improving the course. I love this place.

Honorable mention:
Beaver Ranch, Conifer CO- It was cool but I do not see why this course is in the top 10.
Suicide Flats, Bakersfield CA- It's the only thing worth going to Bakersfield for.
Kirkwood DGC, CA- 1200' hole 16 is epic and compared to nothing I have played.
Whistler DGC, Whistler BC- Epic setting, very challenging layout.

And now you'll hear from a 60 year old player who can only get it out there about 290 feet, and that's with a good wind. My favorites aren't those courses that absolutely pound me, both in spirit and body. I've played many of them from De La to Blue Ribbon to Stafford Lakes to the Circle R courses to Paw Paw to Hornings and Braxton Bluff. I mostly enjoy watching more skilled players challenge them while I shoot 15-20 over par.

My favs are more relaxing (easier) courses, with hills, that have some scenic beauty. Usually I must be able to enjoy a bit of sucess on them. Those are the type of courses that I would want to live by and return to and play often. In no particular order:

Sunset Park (9) Lewiston, ID A short, grassy little recreational nine holer in a most pretty little park. Lots of short ACE runs.

Brockway Park (9) Rosemount, MN A really well designed little nine holer. Just the right amount of challenge for a player of my diminishing skills.

Bryant Lake Park (18) Eden Praire, MN Like playing on a well maintained country club course. Everything is manicured, groomed and landscaped. Beautiful vistas of the lake. Everyone's complaint seems to be that it isn't challenging enough. It was plenty challenging enough for me.

Dexter Park (18) Dexter, OR Rates high on the natural beaty scale. Plenty challenging but not going to kill you physically.

Crooked Creeked Park (18) Original 18 Chapin, SC Just a very pretty piece of land for a course. The challenge was there for me, especiallywith the creek in play. Not too long. Everything was maintained so well.

Riverside Park, (18) St. Cloud, MN What a perfect park for a disc golf course. Green grass, mature trees, very little underbrush and gentle rolling hills everywhere making for countless enjoyable, almost but not quite epic throws. I can see why the college students love it.

Shady Oaks (18) North Bonneville, WA These course has a couple of design flaws but it also has some of prettiest, most natural disc golf holes I've seen. It's a recreational course but I could play it everyday.

Pier Park (18) Portland, OR One of the most uniquely beautiful courses anywhere. Scattered tall Douglas Fir trees are everywhere on this hilly section of land making for some wonderful throws. Somewhat over my head but I enjoy it just the same.

Whistlers Bend (18) Roseburg, OR This course is way too long and difficult for me. I wouldn't want to play it everyday but I would love to play once every week. I'd be glad to try and break my record of 14 over par. It's epicly beautiful. It has a "Top of the World" hole that is second to none. There are incredible panoramic views of the river and surrounding areas. I wonder why it's not a top 10 courses. It has it all!

Thats the beauty of this site, this game is different for everyone. It might get you some thumbs down when you review some of these courses other think are the best of the best, but who really cares. You like what you like and that is all that matters!

Thats the beauty of this site, this game is different for everyone. It might get you some thumbs down when you review some of these courses other think are the best of the best, but who really cares. You like what you like and that is all that matters!

this was the original intention of this thread. not to be cut down for your opinion by people with diamonds by their names. thanks for understanding Harr :)

edit, going back to my original post, the second one should be Goliath, not leviathan

I haven't played that many "epic" courses yet - no Idlewild, no Z-Boaz - my play history has mainly been average courses in average places, and I've never had the good fortune to spend any significant amount of time in a part of the country that's just chockablock with world-class DG venues.

Nevertheless, I'm a member of DGCR and I've got opinions (like everybody else) and I feel like writing, so here are my TWO favorite courses, each of which rings my chimes for basically the same reasons:

- Water Works (Kansas City, MO)
- De La Veaga (Santa Cruz, CA)

As I consider the (pitifully few) rounds I've played at these two courses, what strikes me more than anything else is the way I felt when I got in my car and drove away. The feeling was very similar to the feeling I get when I drive away from hearing a world-class orchestra play, say, Brahms' Fourth Symphony. It's almost a religious experience, in which my participation is both invited and expected. Emotionally, it's the same way I feel when I finish a round at one of these two courses - not just tired, but spiritually uplifted and made a part of something greater than myself.

Someday I'd like to play Flip, Flyboy, and the rest of the courses that, by DGCR consensus seem to be the bees' knees of disc golf. Until then, friends, fly free, avoid trees, and may he who has the most fun, win.

Not that there's anything wrong with it...but I'd like know why you would not consider Coyote Point to be "on par" with Dela and Water Works.

FWIW, I've been to all 3. :hfive:

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the courses mentioned in this thread....someday. :)

Personal top 5

Flip City
Whistlers Bend
Deer Lakes
Highbridge Granite ridge
Winthrop Gold

this was the original intention of this thread. not to be cut down for your opinion by people with diamonds by their names. thanks for understanding Harr :)

edit, going back to my original post, the second one should be Goliath, not leviathan

I have said this a hundred times lately . . . I am an idealist with a realistic understanding. I wish things were a certain way but I ackowledge the way they actually are. It gets me in trouble on ocassion, but I am who I am.

:hfive:
I have no issue with you my friend.
this was in regards to some people earlier in the thread who cut me down for my opinions...

New013-

I'm curious or maybe I'm missing something here. This # 1 course you speak of in the Charlotte area sounds a lot like Bracket's which is now listed as a RIP course. Since I'm from Washington state and don't plan on getting back there anytime soon, you can tell me..........is it open just for private guests or something. Just whisper it. What happened?
shhhhhhhhhhhh

Not that there's anything wrong with it...but I'd like know why you would not consider Coyote Point to be "on par" with Dela and Water Works.

FWIW, I've been to all 3. :hfive:

Looking forward to seeing the rest of the courses mentioned in this thread....someday. :)

Yeah, someday is right!

Re Coyote Point - It's up there along with Sky High and Waller Pines, but not one of my favorites. Don't get me wrong - I think Coyote is an excellent course - it just doesn't give me that same awestruck feeling that I get when I play De La or WW.

Yeah, someday is right!

Re Coyote Point - It's up there along with Sky High and Waller Pines, but not one of my favorites. Don't get me wrong - I think Coyote is an excellent course - it just doesn't give me that same awestruck feeling that I get when I play De La or WW.

Understood Baz.

From my POV, Coyote Point was a step above Waller Pines...although I also believe Waller Pines is a top notch course. :D

New013-

I'm curious or maybe I'm missing something here. This # 1 course you speak of in the Charlotte area sounds a lot like Bracket's which is now listed as a RIP course. Since I'm from Washington state and don't plan on getting back there anytime soon, you can tell me..........is it open just for private guests or something. Just whisper it. What happened?

Brackett's? I don't know what you're talking about. :rolleyes:

Understood Baz.

From my POV, Coyote Point was a step above Waller Pines...although I also believe Waller Pines is a top notch course. :D

I agree with you - it's just that I'm a noodle arm and Waller's a bit more noodle-friendly than Casitas. Both great courses, makes me want to ditch work and get on out there!

No, I'm not a homer...

5) Toboggan: It's one thing for a course to wow you once - you make a trip, and maybe get psyched to play some "destination disc golf." Toboggan's one of the closest courses to my house. I've played it many times and spotted on it during the tourney, so I'm pretty familiar with it. I thought it was amazing when I first saw it 7 years ago. 100 courses and 12 states late, know what? It still wow's me every time I walk those fairways - still think it's amazing; that says something. Elevation like no other course I've played. Has a way of making you feel small. This place will take everything you got. Great combo of wonderful discplay and scenery. When a leading disc manufacturer designs a course so they can host a annual tourney every year for top AMs everywhere, it better be something special. It is. :thmbup:

4) Brackett's Bluff - Totally cool. Great variety, novetly, chill factor, looks great, Hanging Basket, Rock Hole, elevlation all over some of these holes, nice flat and green in the valley, sick dropoff to the creek. So unique, so cool, so unlike anything else. Consider myself very lucky to have played here. Dave Brackett rocks! :cool:

3) Steady Ed Headrick Memorial (IDGC): If the PDGA puts a course in, and names it after Steady Ed, it had better be damn good, no? So friggin' complete, there's nothing else to say. Great shot variety, challenging, but not killer, nice views of lake & water shots, dual pins, pads, extras and ammenities galore. This is what happens when the right people, with the right desire, experience, land and resources make a course. Perhaps the single best DG experience I've ever had. :D

2) Flip - I still love this place. Not gold level, but maybe that's part of why I enjoy it more. Land that's incredibly well-suited to disc golf. My first round here, I kinda thought the first 3 holes were just alright, weak links in the chain. Now I think they're like sleepers, just settin' you up for 4, 5, 6, then 7... keep going. I'm all for a great 18 instead of a good 24. Bill already one of the best 18's... then he added 6 more great holes. Variety, elevation changes, atmoshpere, simplicity, TLC touches like no other place. Great blend of charm and challenge. Bill McKenzie rocks! :hfive:

1) Flyboy - I sooooo freakin' loved this place! Wonderfully conceived holes, shot variety, challenging but reasonably so. Great, no... superb water shots: THINK... The Mando hole, basket on a tree, basket sunk in the ground, winds it's way all around a gorgeuos community novelty, variety, vibe, hosts, the hanger. Hole 3... hole 3 again! Kelly Legette rocks! :clap:

There's my top 5. What they all have in common is: truly beautiful courses to look at, great variety, elevation changes, shot variety, challenge, numerous memorable holes, and little touches that make them unique - not your average DG experience. Damn, just thinking about them got my juices flowing! And yes, I mean what I say: any individual that creates and maintains that great a course... on their own property... and lets us play – they freakin' rock!

Last edited:
My top five are entirely from CA, where I've played about 45 courses(notable omissions: Wrightwood, the Tahoe area and everything north of Ukiah :doh:). Per the theme of the thread, these are my favorites personally.

1. DeLaveaga in Santa Cruz, CA: Just a really special place. Every time I've visited it makes me feel like a kid driving up to Disneyland. A real test of control golf, with a great local scene.

2. Stafford Lake in Novato, CA: Might be a better disc golf course than DeLa. Elevation used to great effect, all framed by spectacular natural views and wildlife. Can still be a little rough around the edges with poison oak and unmowed fairways but I'll always jump at a chance to play here.

3. Coyote Point in Ventura, CA: Feels like the love child of my top two courses above. Front 9 in particular is really excellent golf. Good variety of fairway shapes, including some vertically controlled shots.

4. Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, CA: Reminds me a lot of Morley, my original home course in San Diego, but in a prettier setting with more challenge. Local crew headed by Patrick Brown is transforming the course into a grassy manicured erosion controlled masterpiece. Much easier course than 1-3 on this list but the fun factor is high.

5. La Mirada(Golden State Layout) in La Mirada, CA: Amazing two-shot golf on an 18 that is something like 10,000 feet in length. A challenge, but a fair challenge with well defined landing zones and fairways. Forum user thugjitsu and company play this layout every Monday, so I think it's fair for me to list a temp layout as one of my 5 favorites.

Will someone explain the "secret" about Brackett's Bluff? It's listed on this site! That's not really much of a secret.

personally, it's weird seeing Nevin in the top of peoples list. it's just one of those courses i guess.

Recently played Renny (gold), Nevin, and Hornets (not Charlotte's Web) nest... all fabulous, all kicked my butt, but I can't quite put any of them in my top 5. I more than liked Nevin, and can see why people put it up there... but I based my list on my desire to play that course repeatedly, and Nevins juut too brutally tight and long - tough combo... truly champoinship caliber.

Similarly, even though I rated Idlewild a 5, it doesn't crack my personal top 5. I experienced it, think it's incredibly well done and maintained, but it's a bit too tough for me to enjoy as much as those I listed. Toboggan's beyond my game as well, but I don't get as frustrated and still have a fun time playing it, so it made my list.

I agree with you - it's just that I'm a noodle arm and Waller's a bit more noodle-friendly than Casitas. Both great courses, makes me want to ditch work and get on out there!

I played both of them on the same day when I was out there a few years ago. Had to finish the last few holes in the dark at Waller but it was totally worth destroying my arm :)

I just don't get to see the mountains as much as I'd like...maybe it's time to relocate the family......