• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Your Sidearm Collection - Help for Backhand Guys Looking to Add a Disc or Two.

I currently throw RHFH as my driver throw. My three favorite drivers are the Pro Wraith, Star Destroyer, and Pro Boss. My Diablo DT isn't too bad, it just doesn't have the distance of the other three. I have an Avenger SS, and, don't like it for FH throws. It's a very sensitive disc, that will reveal any flaws you might have in your release angle, but, good to use for really fine tuning your FH throwing.

David

I don't sidearm for D, more for approaches than anything. I only use two discs, a Starfire for flicks that skip and an FL for flicks that don't (as much).

I throw almost entirely forehand and my basic lineup is as follows.

Drivers(Distance)
Destroyer (Star around 170g) - Great for S-Turn distance
XCaliber (CFR ) - Long low shots
MAX (Star) - Love the slightly lighter(171-172) ones for big skips at the end

Drivers(Fairway)
Firebird - Close to the Max in D but more versatile
Banshee - Great all round disc (I have many of the old KCs)
Teebird - First disc I ever purchased and great forehand or backhand

Approach
Whippet
Cro - Only true mid I really use forehand

I only throw RHFH for distance. I use a Wraith or Surge for nice long "S" curves. My champ. Destroyer goes straight and then fades hard right. Recently, I picked up a Discraft Crush and seems to fit right in between the Wraith/Surge and the Destroyer. It goes straight with a small fade at the end. It is my new favorite driver!
:)

TeeBird
Buzzz
CryZtal Challenger - This is the only putter I've thrown FH from ~175 that leaves my hand clean

CryZtal Challenger - This is the only putter I've thrown FH from ~175 that leaves my hand clean

Agreed, Challenger does make for a good putter to FH, I've never tried to see how far I can flick one but they work well for me when a FH shot is my best option and I feel I'm too close to use anything else.

Predator is mostly what I FH for moderate distance but I really only ever bust out the FH for accuracy so this is my first and pretty much only choice for a FH.

i can agree on the teebird. DX is best since it starts a little more overstable. I have a champ i bought and pro i found (lost my dx when i still trew sidearm...), and they are ok for it. Almost birdied a 300 foot shot with my champ after a bad drive, so if that says anything...

Orc
Firebird
Gator

I can't believe more people aren't throwing the Orc for sidearm control distance. It is a superb sidearm disc. Throw it on any line and it will hold. Better than a Wraith, because you need less ceiling. I can throw the Boss forehand farther but it needs a lot more room to fly. The Orc is long and straight. It flies like a disc should.

Distance:
Boss, touchy, but nothing flies farther.
Destroyer, great for high flex shots.
Xcaliber, a fast, predictable meathook that always comes back when other start to fail.
Flick, dead straight, thrown low to the deck, its like a knife.

For me...
Max distance: Xcaliber
Distance: Predator
Fairway: Teebird/Banshee. Never thrown the XXX but I imagine it would work well from people I've seen throw it.
Mids I very rarely thrown forehand. I'll just give a soft flick with my Buzzz or Teebird if I really need to. I use a Flick when I need an extremely hard turn without flying too far.

Personally, I use a Pig for short, a Drone for Mid, an Orc for drives, and occasionally a Destroyer for max distance.

Distance - Surge SS FLX, Wraith, or FL
Mid - Gator

Short??? If you mean putter distance, I can't help you as I don't sidearm putts....

Other favorite sidearm discs are the FLX Avenger SS, Z-Reaper, Firebird, and a 150 TeeRex

Oh and Champ Banshee!!! Kind of a hard turner, but I'll carry a 150 and 175 in my bag sometimes...great disc for forehands...

If you've never shot a Forehand shot and want to learn...

Get an Impact. It's stable. 0.0 and it will do what you make it do. Nothing more, nothing less.

Teaches great form.

\/\/

If you've never shot a Forehand shot and want to learn...

Get an Impact. It's stable. 0.0 and it will do what you make it do. Nothing more, nothing less.

Teaches great form.

\/\/

You know, I have not tried an Impact?

How does this disc get forgotten?

Off the tee "167 Champion or Star Sidewinder"
Midrange "150 Champion Sidewinder"
Putting "133 Skeeter"

Only time I don't sidearm is when I'm putting!

Latest posts