• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Zippo hand warmer

Its only sketchy if you are an idiot and soak your hands with the lighter fluid or overfill the reservoir and end up with a fireball. If you are 6 years old and your Mom doesn't let you light the Christmas candles yet, this hand warmer probably isn't for you anyway. I have been using these things for a long time, and trust me, this is not a dangerous method at all.

I called Zippo and told them the problem I was having. They said that you must use a Zippo lighter to get these going. I was using a disposable bic. Does everyone use a zippo?

I called Zippo and told them the problem I was having. They said that you must use a Zippo lighter to get these going. I was using a disposable bic. Does everyone use a zippo?

i use a freaking BBQ lighter. i have also used a cheap gas station lighter as well as a bic and they all work the same...a flame is a flame, they are just trying to get you to buy their stuff. i have found it best to let it sit for about minutes after i fill it and let the fumes build up in the burner, then when i light it i hold the part on the flame where the blue meets the orange to the burner and SLOWLY...very very slowly move it back and forth, flip it over and repeat. if you move it too fast the heat wont build up. if you use just the orange part of the flame it will turn the burner black and ruin it. good luck man!

i use a freaking BBQ lighter. i have also used a cheap gas station lighter as well as a bic and they all work the same...a flame is a flame, they are just trying to get you to buy their stuff. i have found it best to let it sit for about minutes after i fill it and let the fumes build up in the burner, then when i light it i hold the part on the flame where the blue meets the orange to the burner and SLOWLY...very very slowly move it back and forth, flip it over and repeat. if you move it too fast the heat wont build up. if you use just the orange part of the flame it will turn the burner black and ruin it. good luck man!

They said it had something to do with the chemicals in the lighter fluid reacting with something in the burner and that bics dont have that chemical and they arent as hot as zippos.

I had an old zippo laying around and it seems to work now, so maybe there is some truth to it.

They said it had something to do with the chemicals in the lighter fluid reacting with something in the burner and that bics dont have that chemical and they arent as hot as zippos.

I had an old zippo laying around and it seems to work now, so maybe there is some truth to it.

sounds plausible but untill mine dont work i will keep using whatever lighter i can find :) happy throwing and stay warm!

By products of burning butane (water, carbon dioxide) inhibit combustion.
less of an issue with naptha/lighter fluid.

I'm about to buy 2 of the zippo hand warmers for my friend and I after reading this thread and have a question. How much fuel does each hold? Amazon sells the zippo lighter fluid in 12 oz cans @ $6 and I'm not sure how long this will last us. We usually play 1-2 rounds about 3 times a week and are outside for about 2.5 hrs each time.

Thx :)