• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Announcing Discmania Evolution and Active

Jussi has said that all of the discs being produced by Yikun and Lat64 are unique molds and that they did not replicate any existing molds by either company.

I have a Sun Crow in the mail now. Really interested to see how it is for an out of the box roller/trick shot disc.

Got it today and it's tweaked a bit and the the plastic is stiffer, but it's got a View top for sure.

A little more stable than the View I've seen, really nice baby Teebird- mellow Leo3 type flight.

It's a great looking disc and I'll be giving it a good audition!

Got it today and it's tweaked a bit and the the plastic is stiffer, but it's got a View top for sure.

A little more stable than the View I've seen, really nice baby Teebird- mellow Leo3 type flight.

It's a great looking disc and I'll be giving it a good audition!

I noticed OTB listed some and they are described as domey is this accurate? How is the baseline plastic? I've heard it compared to pro d from discraft.

I noticed OTB listed some and they are described as domey is this accurate? How is the baseline plastic? I've heard it compared to pro d from discraft.

Mine isn't domey, it's got some shoulder that levels off into a flat top in the middle of the disc fairy quickly.

Plastic is like a mix of BT Med and pro d. It's got that good friction feel of BT but but also is vaguely rubbery feel like the better Pro D.

I have a Spring Ox, Sea Serpent, and Fox Spirit arriving tomorrow. They all look like discs that could have a place in my rotation.

What kind of weights were available to you early adopters?

for the Fox Spirit there were only 168-170 on Infinite. I think that is probably the range you will see as the plastic, colors and weights are all limited. I took it out at lunch today and liked the Fox Spirit a good deal.

It didn't do anything crazy, but thrown hard on a mild hyzer it was 340-360 on a backhand and didn't turn or fade that severely. FH i didn't feel I could give it full power, but it was a laser to 350 as long as I didn't try to throw it too hard. I'm going to bring it in my travel bag next month and see if it's worth keeping around.

My drivers are 169, and the mid is 172. They didn't go too much above or below those weights at DGC. Took em out, and only got in 1 throw each before it started to pour. Only 1 throw, but Fox Spirit reminded me of a fresh DX Banshee or Gazelle. The plastic feels good - hopefully I will get a chance for some real testing tomorrow.

Got a chance to throw these then play a round with them today. My impressions:

•Spring Ox is flat, beaded, and flies pretty straight, maybe 4-3-0-1. It flies like a putter, and actually makes a pretty good putter if you like em shallow and with a bead.

•Fox Spirit really hooks up nicely at the end of its flight, pretty true to the 6-4-0-2 numbers. I like this disc. It will be interesting to see how it beats in, and how quickly.

•Sea Serpent flies pretty well, maybe a little short for a speed 11, compared to say a Wraith. It also flies pretty true to -2 turn 2 fade.

Overall these make decent, affordable starter discs: the plastic feels good. I wasn't mashing on these, so if you put more power that I was, you'd likey find them less stable.

Wonder what happened when Jussi told Dave that the "advanced" plastic was getting made by LAT 64?

Who knows, maybe they had the first crack at producing it and didn't for whatever reason?

Haven't fondled the new Swedish driver yet but a buddy has received his vendor order and said he didn't think there was anything crazy special about it. FWIW he's pretty much an Innova guy with the exception of Discraft mids. He stocks some trilogy but I don't believe is nearly as nerdy with the various plastics and runs to be able give a breakdown on how it compares.

Wonder what happened when Jussi told Dave that the "advanced" plastic was getting made by LAT 64?

I wonder how much of is is down to aesthetics? To people who are new to the game or are not super into the nerdy details a lot of Lat64 premium looks more high end.

My wife throws an Elasto Diamond, I picked it for her to along with a lighter JK Camp Valk. Both flew well for her and she can throw them 250-300 on s curve lines, but she reaches for the Diamond way more because the clear slightly refracting plastic of the diamond is more high end looking than the opaque slightly Smokey valk.

To us who have played a good bit for a long time we know those opaque Champ discs are some of the more durable ever made and are sought after, but on pure looks the Diamond is more professional looking to her. Probably the case with many newer golfers.

Opto might look more premium than champion but is the least durable premium plastic I've ever thrown by a long shot. The flight characteristics of opto change so fast.

I think they change initially, like in the first month, then stay there for a very long time. While champ/star change very slowly and stay at each stage forever.

I don't think it's a bad thing for most disc golfers, for as much as they throw each disc and how hard they can hit things to have some discs that can get beat in in a reasonable time. That said, I don't think I would ever choose opto style plastic for my true OS discs because that's a slot I don't want beating in. Other than maybe a Justice for example, those are insanely OS...so it is possible for discs to stay OS in that plastic.

I think they change initially, like in the first month, then stay there for a very long time. While champ/star change very slowly and stay at each stage forever.

I don't think it's a bad thing for most disc golfers, for as much as they throw each disc and how hard they can hit things to have some discs that can get beat in in a reasonable time. That said, I don't think I would ever choose opto style plastic for my true OS discs because that's a slot I don't want beating in. Other than maybe a Justice for example, those are insanely OS...so it is possible for discs to stay OS in that plastic.

That is probably true. The Warhorses I got were insanely OS at first and have beat into basically a fresh Giant and have not changed much. If I need something truly unreasonably OS, the Slab is super OS and hasn't changed hardly at all.

I have to say the instinct in Neo plastic feels great. Very nice tack to it and a decent flex. I personally hate the feel of champion plastic from innova because it typically has a sheen to it that causes it to be slick and it is typically lacking in flex. Also really digging the stamp design on the instinct FWIW

Latest posts