• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

My friend teed off yesterday and the disc flew off to the right into a pine tree. One second later, a big wild turkey walks out, followed by another one. The tree is now known as the turkey tree.

There are at least 3 owls that live at my new home course Reed Canal in Daytona, FL. Probably due to the legion of squirrels living in the park... Went back yesterday at dusk to snap some pics. The first one was sitting on a fallen tree and let me get close enough to use the flash on my camera! It's fun to see them flying around while you're playing.

dsc00032ql.jpg

dsc0026gd.jpg

Red Fox at Iroquois in Louisville ...

Attachments

• Iroquois fox (640x480).jpg
    Iroquois fox (640x480).jpg
    142.7 KB · Views: 93
Baby copper head at Hornets Nest

This tiny snake was found on the transition path of hole 9 leading out to the tennis courts parking lot. This discovery was made at the end of the final round of the Best at the Nest tournament. That's a mini marker next him so that should give you a frame of reference as to how small he is. (Poor picture quality thanks to my iPhone).

Attachments

• Baby copperhead_reduced.jpg
    Baby copperhead_reduced.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 136
Today while playing I saw a squirrel digging half under a fallen palm frond. I walked up to him without even trying to be sneaky and popped him on the butt with my putter that was still in my hand after finishing the previous hole. It was pretty funny watching his reaction!

There are at least 3 owls that live at my new home course Reed Canal in Daytona, FL. Probably due to the legion of squirrels living in the park... Went back yesterday at dusk to snap some pics. The first one was sitting on a fallen tree and let me get close enough to use the flash on my camera! It's fun to see them flying around while you're playing.

That's awesome I would love a chance to get some pictures of some owls.

Here is a fella I ran into the other day out at Zebulon. I believe he thought my River was an actual River.

249463_10150180149870846_510630845_7322274_2566967_n.jpg

Playing in South and Central FL, I've run into many critters. Some of my more memorable encounters happened at Easterlin Park in Ft. Lauderdale when I was just starting to play the game. The place is covered in all sorts of exotic lizards, most notably the huge iguanas everywhere. There was a 5-6 footer hanging out under one of the baskets that I had to putt at. I was using a Birdie and missed the putt. It landed right in front of the iguana and it ran over to it, grabbed it in it's mouth, and thrashed it about. Got some souvenir teeth marks out of the deal. Also had two male iguanas wrestling by the shore of the lake there right next to where my shot just landed. The damn things tussled right over the top of my disc and it slid into the lake. Luckily I was able to grab it though.

Another awesome one that I'll never forget. I just threw a white Sidewinder on hole 13 there, and half way through it's flight, a redtailed hawk swooped down out of nowhere and knocked my disc straight down to the ground. I just stood there my jaw on the ground for a few seconds.

Some of the cooler encounters I've had lately are at my new home course at Wickham park in Melbourne FL. Just the other day I watched a bald eagle chasing an osprey around a lake for about 10 minutes, pretty sweet. Also saw a hawk come out of nowhere, sneak between two trees, and went after some flying seagulls some little girl was feeding bread to. It missed but it was pretty breathtaking.

So I ran into 2 snakes today at the course. While warming up I ran into this guy. Black 3.5 or 4 foot snake rolling across the fairway of hole 12 at reed canal.

mail

After our round of doubles we played a game of wolf. On the same hole (!) we were walking up toward the basket and I was telling another golfer how I saw this black snake earlier on this hole and I stepped on a 6 foot striped brown snake mid sentence!! I don't know if it showed but I almost jumped 5 feet high lol. For some reason the snake didn't move, even after I stepped on it... too dark for cell phone pics at that point. Oh and I also saw the regular 3 owls at the park, 1 which swooped over our heads on hole 7 which made a grown man yell out in terror lol.

Living in Illinois, we get pretty run-of-the-mill critters, deer, squirrels, a teeny snake here and there.

Although, I have had two interesting squirrel interactions..

Once last summer and about two weeks ago, at two different courses, squirrels have come super close to my friend and I, they would climb on your bags, eat whatever you gave them, etc.

Final thought: Squirrels love disc golfers.

Attachments

• 5251_1198087464599_1000870096_30627974_3634320_n.jpg
    5251_1198087464599_1000870096_30627974_3634320_n.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 155
Ran into an angry mother moose with a calf on hole twelve at Kincaid a week ago. There was more than half a dozen discs abandonned right next to her. I guess you take a stroke and shoot from the closest safe distance? Moose hazard?

That was fairly interesting.

Living in Illinois, we get pretty run-of-the-mill critters, deer, squirrels, a teeny snake here and there.

Although, I have had two interesting squirrel interactions..

Once last summer and about two weeks ago, at two different courses, squirrels have come super close to my friend and I, they would climb on your bags, eat whatever you gave them, etc.

Final thought: Squirrels love disc golfers.

They don't like me. Squirrels are always yelling at me as I walk by.

I heard a lizard behind this tree I was near. So, I creep right up to the tree and slowly look around said tree. Oh, now I'm face to face with a huge squirrel. He didn't move much. Kind of an akward moment.

My bestie and I were playing at PK http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1672 and we were taking one of our normal smoke n toke breaks between 9 and 10 and while we were sitting there we heard this ominously loud buzzing sound. We were just bs'n and joking around so we didn't really think anything about it. But we get done, throw and while we are walking down to our discs the buzzing gets louder and louder and louder and we're just like "wtf is this noise?" Well we stopped in the middle of the fairway cause I was going to post something on my FB about this weird ass noise and no sooner than we stop we both look up above us and no **** there must've been hundreds upon hundreds and even more hundreds of bees right above us. It just looked like this dark cloud in a maybe 50ft radius. Needless to say we put some pep in our step when we realized what it was and got outta there real quick like.

Apparently it was groundhog pup week at disc golf courses over the Memorial Day Weekend. First on Thursday at Codorus State Park (where dodging groundhog holes is nearly as challenging as the DG) these little guys were right by the picnic table near hole #1's tee on the Blue Course:

picture.php

And then at the newly opened course at Bear Creek in Macungie, PA near hole 18's tee.

picture.php

They were all too young to have much fear of humans apparently as they allowed extremely close approaches.

multiple snakes(above my head in tree, stepping on one on a fairway, turtles(friend grabbed one while getting discs out of a pond. , frogs, bird missing bottom beak, deer with his arse all torn up and bloody. Big herons.

Saw this snake earlier in the round, then when I went looking for him again he was eating!
315563472-632734f16daf9fe788e6757ec8e0a23a.4ded0088-scaled.png

Parmalee Park - Temperance, MI. hole #4

On my way home from Cincy last weekend I stopped at Sycamore Trails DGC in Dayton and while I was warming up I noticed a guy drop off a box by the first tee (next to a creek). This is what he was dropping:
Picture%252520032.jpg
A medium sized snapping turtle

My bestie and I were playing at PK http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=1672 and we were taking one of our normal smoke n toke breaks between 9 and 10 and while we were sitting there we heard this ominously loud buzzing sound. We were just bs'n and joking around so we didn't really think anything about it. But we get done, throw and while we are walking down to our discs the buzzing gets louder and louder and louder and we're just like "wtf is this noise?" Well we stopped in the middle of the fairway cause I was going to post something on my FB about this weird ass noise and no sooner than we stop we both look up above us and no **** there must've been hundreds upon hundreds and even more hundreds of bees right above us. It just looked like this dark cloud in a maybe 50ft radius. Needless to say we put some pep in our step when we realized what it was and got outta there real quick like.

This reminds me of a similar thing at Sequoyah park in GA. My buddy and I were walking across the parking lot from hole 12 to 13 and all of a sudden BZZZZZZZZZZ a black cloud came flying right past us just feet away. Pretty cool/terrifying.