• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

There's a family of hawks that live around Bellamy Park in Dover, NH that you can always hear around hole 9. A while back, I was having a fantastic round and the male flew down and landed on a stump less than 10ft away from me. We stared at each other for a minute and I started to feel like I was getting a hawk blessing or some crazy crap like that. The spell was broken when the bird took a massive, projectile sh1t in my general direction and flew off. :doh:

That is pretty damn funny

We found this raccoon in the garbage can next to the club house, he was safely released back into the "wild", I'm sure he learned his lesson.
image24541.jpg

Released.

image24571.jpg

Was surprised to see this little guy on hole 14 at Ace Eight DGC at DeSales University in Center Valley, PA.

picture.php

picture.php

Discflinger and I had a lil' run in with this guy at France Park.

One of my favorite courses in the area is Farragut State Park in northern Idaho. Besides the occasional snake and prolific ground squirrels, what I see most is Deer. They seem to know that they're protected, because every time that I see them, they have this "F-you" look going on. Like they're considering whether they should get out of the way of my shot, or just come over and kick my ass for being on their turf. The deer is immediately behind the basket on the first pic.

Attachments

• DSC02385.jpg
    DSC02385.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC02386.jpg
    DSC02386.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC02388.jpg
    DSC02388.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
This one is not for the arachnophobes.

I put my DX Leopard into the right rough off the tee after lumberjacking a tree. As I was walking into the rough, I start to hear a ripping sound just a second before I feel the silk strands start to envelope the right side of my face and right arm. I immediately jump back having a good idea that I have just stumbled into a web, and as I focus ahead I see this:

spidere.jpg

Not sure what it is, but it looks like a Golden Silk Orb Weaver from I can find on the internet. As far as toxicity goes:

The venom of the golden silk orb-weaver is potent but not lethal to humans. It has a neurotoxic effect similar to that of the black widow spider; however, its venom is not nearly as powerful. The bite causes local pain, redness, and blisters that normally disappear within a 24-hour interval. In rare cases, it might trigger allergic reactions and result in respiratory troubles (in asthmatics) or fast-acting involuntary muscle cramps. As the genus possesses relatively strong chelicerae, the bite could leave a scar on hard tissue (such as fingers).

Needless to say I kept a respectful distance while retreiving my Leopard, but did have to get in a bit close to snag the picture with my phone.

Lost my Champion Panter on next hole, #7 (may have reached the water that technically is not in play and is probably now gator bait), but was a bit more careful when entering the rough this time.

Also know as a Bannana Spider. They usually don't bite unless you really piss them off. Here is one I took at River Grove Park a few years ago:

spiderondisc.jpg

Also know as a Bannana Spider. They usually don't bite unless you really piss them off. Here is one I took at River Grove Park a few years ago:

Yeah, I figured if she really wanted me she had her opportunity when I walked into her web. With a skull looking spot on her back I figured that I would keep my distance until I could research what she was. There were two males in the web as well, but they are significantly smaller.

Nice photo, I wish I had someone else with me so I could have put up something near her for size comparison. The disc behind in your photo certainly shows off how large she is.

lmao, oh hell no! i'm not afraid of spiders but HELL NO im not handling that :p

I agree. At the course I used to play, during the summer, you would see about 200-300 of these on the course. I lost my fear of them, after seeing so many, but I am going to walk up and introduce myself and shake hands.

Argiope is the real name. Common names are confusing at best. They are harmless really. You can actually handle them with no problem... if you can get past your nerves.

Nope, personal policy: don't tounch the wildlife. :D

I read earlier in the thread of someone petting an armadillo on the course, sounds kind of harmless until you read that they can carry the leopracy virus. Not that there are a ton of lepracy affected armadillos running around, but why take the chance?

I felt kind of bad that I ruined some of her work by running into the web, but I am sure she got over it. I will try and be a bit more careful next time.

Wildlife on the Course

So far I have seen a roadrunner and a Texas spiny lizard.

What wildlife have y'all seen on the course?

Yesterday my friends and I were on the tee pad for hole 8 at Gordon Holton and these two deer come out of the woods. Long story short they ended up just walking like 8-10 feet from us just eating grass. One of them went over to one of the little ponds and got a drink then back into the woods they went.

I've seen tons of deer, I'm sure we all have, but for them to come that close was pretty cool.

Cool thread. I don't know why someone made this one though before I made one, like a year later, but, whatever. :p

Roadrunner and a Texas spiny lizard.

Oh look. I get to check the box again.

Latest posts