• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Critters on the course you ran into...

Snakes, squirrels, and deer all the time. I once had a dog chase a rabbit across the tee pad I was standing on. brattenj of DGCR was playing at dusk in the woods and actually got run into by a small deer! And of course that annoying mutant duck at Winthrop.

The course in Plainview, TX has at least one pair of very large jackrabbits that watch me play the back nine every time I play there. I play during the week when there are usually 1 to 5 people in the whole park. They will stay about 100 feet from me and just watch.

Living in Texas, there are all kinds of critters in the parks (especially insects). I'll be looking for the mountain lion in Rockwall. I play that course about every other month. In west Texas, there are plenty of snakes... take a cane or stick with you when you play in a course with a lot of cover for them. Poke before you look.

Sounds like a coluber constrictor flaviventris (aka Eastern Yellow-Bellied Racer or Blue Racer):

Snakes of Missouri

Yeah that was it, I think, looks very similar, it actually flared its head out like a cobra, just not as big. i had never seen any other snake do that.

Last summer I saw a live bat that was stuck in a burr bush at Avery Preserve. Some dudes got it unstuck, but it's wings were too mangled for it to fly away, so it probably died.

I also see gophers at the course all the time. Not a great course for disc golf, but good for seeing animals.

There are these two geese at my course I recognize them every time because they are the only geese I've ever seen on the course. and they're always together just standing on the grass following the setting sun so they can sunbath. I see them EVERY time I go out lol me and my friends are trying to nick name them.

At La Raza in San Jose, CA I have seen some cows on the hill (moo-ing right in the middle of my drive on hole 6. I have also seen plenty of lizards, as well as once I saw a family of wild turkeys migrating thru the course! That was cool

My disc landed next to a large snake when I was playing in Tyler Texas. Not sure what kind it was, but probably about 5 feet long. I quietly and carefully picked up my disc and moved along.

I named my course after the cats that live on the first three holes, I know cats aren't exciting but that can be creepy at dusk when your finshing 18 and all you can see are their eyes looking at you.

on other cool notes I once saw a snake swimming with a fish in its mouth.

I almost hit a squirrel last week, and the squirrel I almost hit let out this panicked SCREAM that was a distress call to all of the other squirrels nearby...so about 5' to the left of where I am another squirrel heads the call...and just LOSES HIS MIND. He runs right at me, right past me, and up a tree to the right of me about 15'.

LOL...that's hilarious. I was stalked by a big a** beaver at one course.

a few yrs ago, actually:

100_0066.jpg

It was over 100 degrees this day.

I've seen a flock of wild turkey both times I've been to Stafford Lake, in Novato, CA. Nowhere near as cool as seeing a mountain lion or a bobcat, or as scary as seeing a rattlesnake, but still, pretty cool.

Herd. Not flock. Herd.

A herd of turkeys....see it just sounds better, irregardless of whether or not it is actually correct. :D

So I was playing this course last week, and kept hearing a broken police siren sound coming from a barn across the street from hole 10. I was creeped out, because I knew it was coming from an animal and I have been hearing the sounds since hole 6. So, as I was looking around I saw lamas, goats, ostrich, and oddly enough even camels over there. This is not totally crazy, but certainly odd.

However that sound has got me really creeped out. It just keeps making all kind of siren type pitches in weird patterns. Finally, I looked up above the barn and saw a small portion of a cage and got s glipse of the source of a sound. Orangatans! There is some kind of privately owned animal sanctuary here. I ended up seeing kangaroos, zebras, and chimps too.

Man, the sound they were making was creepy.

Orangutan sighting; making eerie noises as well....end thread....:)

Orangutan (wow, I always pronounce that, and thought it was spelled; with a g at the end). Aahrangaahtang. Evidently, original namer of this primate, simply said "that animal is part orange and part tan; thus...orangutan.

Orangutan sighting; making eerie noises as well....end thread....:)

Orangutan (wow, I always pronounce that, and thought it was spelled; with a g at the end). Aahrangaahtang. Evidently, original namer of this primate, simply said "that animal is part orange and part tan; thus...orangutan.

OMGLMFAO!

Today @ the Z. I'll tell you what, this past winter really set the stage for some nice wildlfe this spring/summer. This guy however got the short end of the stick. He is healthy, and alive... but look at those scars. One scar has claimed a quarter of his mass in that section. Awesome animal. I did not spend too much time looking, but I'm calling Bullsnake yearling.

100_1954-1.jpg

Seen about a 6 foot long Black Snake at Dorton Park awhile back, climbing up the side of a tree. I have never seen one that long. Needless to say I picked the sucker up by the back of the neck/head (I've been known to do this type of stuff.... I am fascinated by nature). Let him go though... wife wouldnt let me keep it.... :(

The crazy "face-herpes" infested Satanic duck down at Winny Gold was another critter that I wouldnt like to run into again.

I'm still waitin' for DSCJNKY to chime in about the copperhead he ran into down at Bracketts Bluff! LOL!

there are a bunch of geese that hang out next to a lake at one of our local courses. there is one farm goose that you can tell just bosses all the Canadian geese around. not sure how that one got mixed up with those hoodlums, but it's pretty funny. And they don't care about discs either, unless you hit them. That's when they get pissed
oh, and we've got a deer carcass at one of our courses as well

Last time I was in LA I saw a family of Owls, it was pretty cool, Mother Father and two babies, took a pic with my cell but you cant see em.

I swear I don't see as many Owls as back in the 90's. And you guys down south have all kinds of crazy bugs and animals we Chicagoans don't ever have to worry about haha.