• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Reptilian Disc Golf: Iguana

For those who have picked an Iguana up... What would you say for the flight numbers?

We have yet to cut the stamp bc I take flight #'s very seriously and I can't quite decide where this mold sits.

We lean 5, 5, - 1, 1 but that just doesn't seem to be quite perfect.

A Comet is 4, 5, - 2, 1 and I'd say the Iguana has less turn than a Comet and also more fade. I don't like the decimals and half numbers but sometimes it just sounds better

5, 5, - 1.5, 1.5 lol I just don't know.

Good news is Gateway finally received more plastic to run our production run on these. They made some Cobalt (amazing new blend) and some X Out Amber the other day but the production run should be next week.

Numbers are hard, especially when I want to compre to certain runs or different brands.
Initially I felt -1, 1 was quite accurate however if we are talking decimals I am thinking -1.5, 2 is actually more accurate. It does have somewhat bite at the end if given height. At least as much fade as a modern buzzz, though I would wager more. It does turn more like my stable MJ comets though. I never really see more turn than I intended. It really flys the line I want well.

Doesn't help contribute to your flight number question but I noticed in the field the other day there's one disc I own that flys almost exactly the same at 70-80%. My beat in fossil gila. At closer to full rip the gila is flippier and at low power the gila holds the line longer. Just the unique beat in base mid kind of stuff. This really does support the Gila Iguana pair being a top choice for complimenting mids if you want to carry two premium discs. That isn't me though. I still have a buzzz and an origin in the bag, as well as a fresh armor gila and beat fossil, and an iguana. I bag a lot and throw mids a ton. Iguana has become the workhorse though. Replaced my stable buzzz.

For those who have picked an Iguana up... What would you say for the flight numbers?

We have yet to cut the stamp bc I take flight #'s very seriously and I can't quite decide where this mold sits.

A Comet is 4, 5, - 2, 1 and I'd say the Iguana has less turn than a Comet and also more fade. I don't like the decimals and half numbers but sometimes it just sounds better

Good news is Gateway finally received more plastic to run our production run on these. They made some Cobalt (amazing new blend) and some X Out Amber the other day but the production run should be next week.

What's the flight like on those Cobalts? Any different from Armor/Amber?

What's the flight like on those Cobalts? Any different from Armor/Amber?

Pretty similar. Maybe a smidge more stability overall but not by much.

This mold seems to be really consistent across plastic varieties.

I'm excited to see how these turn out in a baseline plastic as well.

I could see myself carrying a 2 Gila/2 Iguana arsenal and throwing them on almost every hole.

I am definitely interested in base plastic. I like rolling my Chameleon, it almost keeps up with the wave for distance because it can hold the cut longer to make up for the slower rim. I ideally would use a broken in base one for rollers that stand up and finish right quicker/shorter. As well as flippier fairway driver duties.

The video you posted to facebook definately makes me think those Cobalt may be a touch more stable, they seem to fight that wind well. The second toss tracked much like I expect a hyzerflip chameleon in calm conditions and it didn't seem to be released on a ton of angle.

I am definitely interested in base plastic. I like rolling my Chameleon, it almost keeps up with the wave for distance because it can hold the cut longer to make up for the slower rim. I ideally would use a broken in base one for rollers that stand up and finish right quicker/shorter. As well as flippier fairway driver duties.

The video you posted to facebook definately makes me think those Cobalt may be a touch more stable, they seem to fight that wind well. The second toss tracked much like I expect a hyzerflip chameleon in calm conditions and it didn't seem to be released on a ton of angle.

That second shot was with the current Amber Chameleon.

We don't have Cobalt Chameleon yet. Just Iguana.

That second shot was with the current Amber Chameleon.

We don't have Cobalt Chameleon yet. Just Iguana.

So this Cobalt plastic has me intrigued. Is it more of a Star type plastic vs Amber/Armor being Champ type? If so I might need some Cobalt Gilas/Iguanas/Chameleons.

So this Cobalt plastic has me intrigued. Is it more of a Star type plastic vs Amber/Armor being Champ type? If so I might need some Cobalt Gilas/Iguanas/Chameleons.

To tell you the truth, it reminds me of Pro/Champ mixed.

It isn't as durable as Champion plastic IMO but it's more durable than Driver Pro.

The Iguana we have in Cobalt isn't "gummy" but it is very "springy." I think this plastic would make for incredible distance drivers as it domes up with a nice poppy top.

The Iguana remained

I've been trying to figure mine out. It's a great flier with a high ceiling for shot shaping, but I'm still learning how hard and on what angles to throw it. On a hard rip, it almost shows less turn, but just stays very straight with a small fade. Thrown at 60% flat, it'll turn like a -2 turn, but then fight back at the end. I might say 5, 5, -1.5, 2, but it reacts differently on different angles.

Was throwing my Iguana every time I was throwing my fresh DX Roc today. Iguana definitely is a 5 speed to the Roc's 4, it went further each time. It also when thrown slightly nose up would turn more than the Roc, so if the Roc is a 0 turn, this is at least a -1. Glide was the same or slightly better for the Iguana, so either a 4 or 5 there. The fade part is tough. It was less than my fresh DX Roc, and for me the Roc has never been a 3 even when new. Based on all that, If you beliee a Roc is a 3 fade, then this is a 2, if you don't it is a 1.

So my numbers would be 5, 5, -1, 2 if you believe that a fresh dx Roc is a 0, 3. It definitely doesn't feel like a 5, 5, -1, 1 (hex is what I throw that is that set of numbers). It definitely is a different disc, than the hex or the roc. However it felt like it was splitting the difference.

On a forehand 200 foot hole, I kept the roc in the fareway, but the Iguana distance and glide put it almost in the river (thrown with the same power, but a little more height on accident).

Was throwing my Iguana every time I was throwing my fresh DX Roc today. Iguana definitely is a 5 speed to the Roc's 4, it went further each time. It also when thrown slightly nose up would turn more than the Roc, so if the Roc is a 0 turn, this is at least a -1. Glide was the same or slightly better for the Iguana, so either a 4 or 5 there. The fade part is tough. It was less than my fresh DX Roc, and for me the Roc has never been a 3 even when new. Based on all that, If you beliee a Roc is a 3 fade, then this is a 2, if you don't it is a 1.

So my numbers would be 5, 5, -1, 2 if you believe that a fresh dx Roc is a 0, 3. It definitely doesn't feel like a 5, 5, -1, 1 (hex is what I throw that is that set of numbers). It definitely is a different disc, than the hex or the roc. However it felt like it was splitting the difference.

On a forehand 200 foot hole, I kept the roc in the fareway, but the Iguana distance and glide put it almost in the river (thrown with the same power, but a little more height on accident).

I appreciate the feedback! I very much agree with your findings.

I am leaning towards 5, 5, - 1, 1.5 as my final number. The flight can be manipulated into a ton of permutations, however. When thrown soft, it'll fade a good bit due to its speed. Powered up it can hit those hyzer flip to dead straight lines.

Any chances of Fossil?

Hopefully in lighter* weights...
Around 170 would be a very pleasant surprise...

I appreciate the feedback! I very much agree with your findings.

I am leaning towards 5, 5, - 1, 1.5 as my final number. The flight can be manipulated into a ton of permutations, however. When thrown soft, it'll fade a good bit due to its speed. Powered up it can hit those hyzer flip to dead straight lines.

That seems right to me, and I do agree that flight manipulation/permutations for this disc is at least on par with the Roc (which is a compliment from me). If I currently didn't want to cycle something for mids, I can easily see a f.a.f. gila, normal gila, iguana, wombat 3 being my mids in my bag. If my bag was smaller I could easily just cut that down to the Normal Gila/Iguana and be fine for most shots I encounter at mid range...

That seems right to me, and I do agree that flight manipulation/permutations for this disc is at least on par with the Roc (which is a compliment from me). If I currently didn't want to cycle something for mids, I can easily see a f.a.f. gila, normal gila, iguana, wombat 3 being my mids in my bag. If my bag was smaller I could easily just cut that down to the Normal Gila/Iguana and be fine for most shots I encounter at mid range...

I really appreciate you picking our discs up and testing them out!

Thanks for the feedback!

It would be hard to argue -1, 1.5. I got a lot more throws on mine yesterday. For the bag yesterday I was toying with Demon or Justice (Different topic to why those two, but it may have to do with the gila) somewhat beat armor Gila, tar pit gila, beat fossil gila, iguana, origin. Though the origin was my better compliment to the buzzz, the comet was my bookend mid for a long time and probably pairs with these best.

The Iguana was the workhorse in the calm conditions I had, though the tarpit gila tried to steal the show with a dead center spit for an ace... The iguana kinda has stolen a lot of beat in gila shots for my stock flip up glide and fade midrange shot. The iguana is a little more likely to turn than the thrashed gila but it flys more predictably powered up. The beat to snot gila shines at 60% power. I am excited to pick up a cobalt iguana to beat in.

Gateway finally fired up the Iguana for its first production run!

Unreal colors and pearliness...

I cannot wait to release this amazing flying mid range. Players who love Rocs and Comets would really benefit from checking this one out.

Attachments

• received_1548120645672983.jpg
    received_1548120645672983.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 25
  • received_753741748951562.jpg
    received_753741748951562.jpg
    144.7 KB · Views: 24
  • received_1248890975699901.jpg
    received_1248890975699901.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 20
Those blue/purple ones look absolutely amazing, nice neon green color too! I'm really excited for these.

Gateway finally fired up the Iguana for its first production run!

Unreal colors and pearliness...

I cannot wait to release this amazing flying mid range. Players who love Rocs and Comets would really benefit from checking this one out.

Thankfully I don't see any pink so I'll be able to hold my excitement a bit, but those red and oranges are tempting. If there's any pink, I'm in trouble.

Latest posts