• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Reptilian Disc Golf's First Mold: The Scale (OS P&A)

Okay, so I've been rethinking my putter heavy strategy this weekend. I carry a lot of putters during tournaments:

-3 Wizards (one Fossil for upshots, two Fossil Fuel for putting)
-2 Scales (one colored Fossil for power putter drives and short sidearms, one Armor for short hyzers and "hit and stick" approaches)
-Plasma Envy (main driving putter, shot shaping)
-K2 Berg (floaty overstable shots)

But I have a stack, and I do mean a STACK of Scales and Wizards laying around. This weekend, over 3 rounds, I threw 211 shots. Not a single one was using the Berg or Envy, but a ton were using the Scales. I honestly think I might throw a Sss Wizard and one of my beat Scales in to replace the Envy and Berg.

I'm going to play this week just using Wizards and Scales and report back. I think the worst that could happen is me throwing a Serpent in there if I need something less stable than my thrashed Scale.

Stay tuned...

^^^I rock just wizards and scales. So far the only shots I have not be able to cover with these are the fast tight FH. The scale is too floaty on my FH, so I still use a Verdict or Zone for those only.

I only carry 1 Scale, Anywhere from 3-5 Wizards, and 2-3 Aeros. I am never wanting a putter shot I don't have.

I have a mammoth pile of Scales, but I honestly only run 1 in my bag. I run 2-3 Wizards (have a taller pile than the Scales). The issue I have is that I also run an Omega or 2 (just can't quit them) and a Zone. If I'm over-carrying anything, it's putters. But that's not a bad thing usually.

In theory, I should be able to beat my RFF Scale (what I usually bag) into submission so that I can drop the Omegas and just run 2 Scales (a beat and a freshy). I use my Omega for long glidey putts and turnover drives, so the Scale probably isn't going to adopt those roles. Maybe I need to thrash a Wizard too. But the RFF Scale is buttery and does what I ask it to (go straight in wind, flop and hit).

I had been missing low a lot this spring, so I foolishly tried swapping putters to something with more glide about 10 days before this tournament. Terrible idea. I'm a moonbrain.

Switched back to only putting with Scales and doing 90% of my approaches with an Armor Flex Scale (PA3 if I need more glide) Well, my putting game is back!

My beat in T-Rex stamped Fossil Scale is in that perfect seasoning to hold an anhyzer line without flipping over and can be shaped beautifully and my Tar Pits have been dead on the mark. My Armor Flex is not only beautiful off the tee, it's such a boost knowing exactly how my approach disc is going to fly and knowing that it will hit and EAT the dirt! No skips, no skittles, just hit and stick. Feeling confident in putting is such a huge difference after such a terrible showing at this year's first tourney and thanks to Reptilian, I'm feeling much better! :thmbup:

^^^I rock just wizards and scales. So far the only shots I have not be able to cover with these are the fast tight FH. The scale is too floaty on my FH, so I still use a Verdict or Zone for those only.

Yup, the Wizard/Scale combo is hard to beat.

My Armor Flex is not only beautiful off the tee, it's such a boost knowing exactly how my approach disc is going to fly and knowing that it will hit and EAT the dirt! No skips, no skittles, just hit and stick.

I am really really REALLY hoping there is another run of ArmorFlex Scales.

I am really really REALLY hoping there is another run of ArmorFlex Scales.

Oh, tell me about it! I loved the domey white Armors since they released and honestly, didn't like the softer Armor Flex when I got the first run. However, it's just crazy how well they stick when the meet Terra! They grab chains at high speed better than stiffer plastics, they don't seem to roll as much, they don't bounce or skip... Man... I have to retract my original disdain. I still like the feel of Armor a little better off the tee, but the Armor Flex is more versatile in my game, so the Armors have been shelved.

Are the armor flexes as beefy as those original domey armors? I am still bagging one of the original domey white armors for "short firebird" duties. It's crazy overstable for a putter.

My only complaint is that the skip on hard ground is pretty hard to control. If the armor flex is just as OS but doesn't skip, it would be a great replacement.

I was up at Gateway yesterday discussing our mids with Davemac and I had to stop and reflect upon what has been created with the Scale.

Just a little height on the nose and a unique thumb contour and BOOM, the perfect compliment to the already perfect PnA was born

I have converted so many local guys by just saying, the Scale is a Wizard that fights winds and fades. They'll bag it, throw and then buy three more.

I often will play rounds with just a seasoned Wiz and a Scale and always shoot really clean rounds. They are a match made in heaven and i am so very thankful that you guys have embraced it as such.
Much love!

How do you guys think that a Scale compares to a pro pig? I could pick one up fairly cheaply so should I or is it close enough to the scale to not bother?

Are the armor flexes as beefy as those original domey armors? I am still bagging one of the original domey white armors for "short firebird" duties. It's crazy overstable for a putter.

My only complaint is that the skip on hard ground is pretty hard to control. If the armor flex is just as OS but doesn't skip, it would be a great replacement.

Not quite a OS and not quite as much glide. However, the stability is very in-line with the Fossil/Fuels and it doesn't skip, slide, or roll as easily. I've had a couple shots that didn't get as far left as I would have liked, but any other disc I have that could hold that line at that distance would have had extra play after the landing that would have negated any overstability that I was looking for anyway.

Unfortunately, I only ordered one of the initial runs. I'm scouring the interwebs daily for a second (or possibly third) but have not found any in the last month. Let's hope Jamie gets an extra boost from the Tyrant - which I just saw on Facebook is now "officially underway" - and after that boost can run some more Scales and Serps! :D

I had shelved the scales and serpents in favor of a wizard cycle but busted them out today on a whim to mix into my backyard putting practice.

Not sure if it's the "new disc high" or what but I was killing putts and upshots with the scale. Def going into my bag for our weekly league tomorrow and we'll see how well I do. My confidence is through the roof with these things though, can't seem to miss left (LHBH).

Gonna bring my whole stack of scales and serpents to league and let others toss them around a bit before and after the round. Hopefully get a couple other converts along the way.

Update: scales didn't fair so well for putting on the course; missed a lot on the front 9 and switched back to wizards on the back 9 where I putted a lot better.

Gonna drop my driving/upshot wizard and keep the scale in for that role. Performed well today.

Update: scales didn't fair so well for putting on the course; missed a lot on the front 9 and switched back to wizards on the back 9 where I putted a lot better.

Gonna drop my driving/upshot wizard and keep the scale in for that role. Performed well today.

Don't feel bad. I don't putt Scales either. They require to much umph for my style of spin putting.

That said... I'm smashing chains lately with my Serps so the lack of glide isn't a killer for me.

The Scale still is my ride and die upshot disc however. If I can see the basket and the Scale can reach it... A chunky bastard is "flying" to the chains

Any plans for a run of premium scales? I'm liking my fossil version but it's getting beat up fast. I could see a premium scale being a staple in my bag for a long time.

Any plans for a run of premium scales? I'm liking my fossil version but it's getting beat up fast. I could see a premium scale being a staple in my bag for a long time.

My Armor and Armor Flex Scales are my upshot and driving putters 100% of the time! Absolutely love these things.

Anyone interested in Trading for an Organic (SSS) Scale? I Field tested it a couple times and didn't like the Bead on forehands.

I realize I'm late to the party here but I just got my first two Scales in the mail. Fossil and Fo$$il. I love the feel of the Fo$$il its amazing stuff!

Brief little session of field work out front and all I can say is, bye bye Pro Pigs. Bye bye. Very different flight from my Harps. Not sure how it will shake out. Great success RDG. Great success.

I'm only sorry it took me so long to jump on this train. These things are legit.

Latest posts