• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

What is the most unusual or unique hole you have played?

filobedo

Double Eagle Member
I only bring this up after seeing pics of the change to #7 at Winthrop making it a triple mando for this year's USDGC. I have played around 125 courses and #11 at Ashe County Park in West Jefferson, NC is the most unusual because of the Rhododendrons and having to play from the tee to a narrow fairway, then over the Rhododendrons to a landing spot then over another set of Rhododendrons to the green.

Last edited:
The waterfall hole at Highland Hills is pretty spectacularly fun. Not the greatest hole ever but I've never run into anything similar as of yet, so it qualifies as "unique." :)

Last edited:
The waterfall hole at Highland Hills is pretty spectacularly fun. Not the greatest hole ever but I've never run into anything similar as of yet, so it qualifies as "unique." :)

Do you throw through the waterfall? That would be neat for summer months on a course somewhere.

Our club set up an awesome 18 hole course on a local 9 hole championship canyon course. There were about 7 really cool shots but the best was a 150' tunnel shot with the basket 80' out the other side and 45 degrees to the right - protected by willows. This was a tunnel under a huge 4 lane road where the golf carts could drive to the next tee pad. Yeah....I hit the only object in the tunnel (a plastic light housing) and took a bogey!

I haven't played too many crazy holes, but at the Hazy Shade BYOP there is a basket on top of a ten-foot ladder. There's a circle around the ladder which I'm guessing is about the size of the putting circle. Miss the circle and you have to throw from a drop zone. I think the hole is only 175 ft. though

The huge structure hole (14?) at Rollin' Ridge is pretty damn cool.

Also dig the Lighthouse hole at Silver Creek in Manitowoc.

Not crazy strange, but #9 at Sioux Passage in STL is a bit odd the first time you realize you are walking down a steep little path to a teepad only to throw back up the steep little path onto the 'fairway'.

I'll second Ashe County #11 as a hole that I haven't seen anything remotely like, anywhere.

Honorable mention to the fountain hole at Hampton Park (usually #17).

Hole 10 @ the Tiki Course at the Blockhouse during events has you throw over a tent where bands are playing and people are cooking to a basket about 25 feet in the area that has a net where the putts fall down into and retreive the disc from.

/thread

Hole 10 @ the Tiki Course at the Blockhouse during events has you throw over a tent where bands are playing and people are cooking to a basket about 25 feet in the area that has a net where the putts fall down into and retreive the disc from.

/thread

that's an easy clown hole

I'll second Ashe County #11 as a hole that I haven't seen anything remotely like, anywhere.

Honorable mention to the fountain hole at Hampton Park (usually #17).

Hole #11 is a good hole. When I got the 3 on long to long I got a lot of strokes on my competition.

Brackett's bluff has a hole that is 90 degrees. You throw at a trampoline that is on its side at the corner to get it to make the turn.

The flume hole at Lions park in Placerville, CA. You throw into a tunnel and if you play at the right time of day, the basket will be lit up by the air vent directly above it.

Do you throw through the waterfall? That would be neat for summer months on a course somewhere.

No, just up it. It's not a huge waterfall.

Isn't that course all up in your neck of the woods? :confused:

If you haven't played Highland Hills yet you need to make it a priority. :)

That said, I live in Indiana so any sort of elevation is pretty epic for me...you might feel otherwise. ;)

The waterfall hole at Highland Hills is pretty cool, but I would have to say the most unique disc golf hole I have played is #12 at North Georgia Canopy Tours, the chicken shack hole. It's a 415' shot in a old chicken shack that's 40' wide and 20' high at the peak. Looking forward to play in the Zip Line Open there in 3 weeks.

Last edited:
Actual tunnel shots

Some fun tunnel shots: Muldraugh, KY, hole one shoots about 100 ft, goes through a 10 x 10 foot tunnel about 40 ft. long, and before ending at a semi-protected basket.
view_image.php

As fun as Muldraugh's opening hole is, Indian Rock in Huntington, WV has it beat. Number 3 is a steep drop off through the woods, try to follow the creek bed, zip through a tunnel about 200 feet out without a direct route from the tee...then once you're through the tunnel, you are shooting directly up hill to the basket, still a good 50+ feet away. I stop here to play almost every time I come through WV just because I love this hole.
view_image.php

The waterfall hole at Highland Hills is pretty cool, but I would have to say the most unique disc golf hole I have played is #12 at North Georgia Canopy Tours, the chicken shack hole. It's a 415' shot in a old chicken shack that's 40' wide and 20' high at the peak. Looking forward to play in the Zip Line Open there in 3 weeks.

Correction - 365 feet

Useless w/o Pics :p

9959772e.jpg

Pretty Trippy!

Lighthouse hole at Silver Creek Park, WI
The creek hole at Hyzer Creek, NY
RIP, #14 at Summer Tundra, Charlton MA, basket placed atop a 25 foot rappelling wall with no ledge to land on. Ladder required to retrieve your disc.
The boulder to boulder hole at Holler in the Hills, KY. Tee from atop a 10 foot rock outcropping to a basket perched on a boulder with about 8 feet to land and trouble all around. I've deuced and taken a 7.
I like the "basket in a tree" concept used at both Iron Hill, DE and Sugaw Creek NC. Basket is situated in a small tree with multiple trunks, leaving very tight, defined windows to aim for. A fun gimmick.

Latest posts