• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

1-2 putt and approach combo

The Clergyman

Birdie Member
I'm looking for advice here.
I want to find one mold that will work for putting and approaching, in wind or not, forehand and backhand, hyzer and anny.
I've just about got it worked out but want your opinions.

Either - Q-Mega with an Omega SS

OR

Wizard with a Warlock

Which would you choose?

I would go with Wizard with Warlock.

Wizard is the best putter I have ever used. I dont throw a warlock but heard it compared to a beat wizard which can only be a compliment.

How about, since you're looking for just one mold, a Wizard with no Warlock. Wizards are great for putt, approach, feeding the dog some water, and curing terminal disease. You don't need anything else inside of 200'.

wizard. you can get a medium for putting and get an ss or sss to beat in quick for straight and anny shots untill the mediums break in.

I would go with a Warlock and Warlock.

I do not understand the need for two molds when putting when you have the Warlock (or the Wizard for that matter).

If you like more fade use the Wizard, if you like more straight use the Warlock.

I'd have to almost agree with the Wizard/Warlock combo since that's what I have in my bag right now. But if I had my choice and a whole bunch of extra cash I'd go with a Warlock/Magic combo. The Wizard and the Warlock start off very similar out of the box. The Warlock not having a bead does make it break in a bit faster (not much faster but just a bit). I personally prefer beadless or small bead putters because I get a cleaner release with them, but I have a ton of Soft/SS/SSS Wizards for putting that I got before Warlocks and Magics were available so that's what I'm putting. I have gone with Warlocks (stable) and a Magic (understable) as my driving putters but still putt my Wizards so I don't have to spend anything to get a bunch of Warlocks as putters and practice putters.

APX and Banger - though I don't approach with the banger unless it's into one helluva headwind. I use my APX for everything inside 150 or so on approaches, outside that I throw a Comet.

The Clergyman said:
Which would you choose?
I already have chosen just the Wizard. ;)

I'd just pick up something like a Wizard for now and then see if you really need something else. You might be surprised at what one disc can do if you really try.

Wizard and that's it.
I used Omega SSs for two years and loved them. Still have a couple that are perfectly beat in. However, the Wizard is better at fighting the wind, hands down. The Wizard has replaced my Rhyno/Sinus+Omega combo. With the Omegas small bead, I didn't find it hard to acclimate myself to the Wizard's big bead. I tried the Q-Mega and the Sirus Omega but still prefer the Wizard for wind.
I also own one Warlock and I don't like it. The plastic is this weird base plastic that has deformed in a similar manner as my Pro-D Buzzz. The problem is that my Buzzz is strictly used for turnover shots or the occasional shot from the shule that doesn't allow for much power, and even then it turns over a lot.
Actually, that's not the problem. That's a pretty sweet disc. The Warlock, however, can't make up it's mind. It's kinda/sorta/not really flippy but ugly has hell in flight. Maybe if I tuned it things would be different but I just don't want to.

I have choosen the Wizard/ Magic combo. The magic takes some getting used to but it is a great approach disc when you need to finesse a disc in there.

another nod for the wizard only setup. Although a warlock only setup would be good too...just not quite as good :) They are both great putters and approach discs and....drivers for that matter.

I use the wizard by itself. Granted, if you don't have a beat up wizard, I think it's tough to throw a new one on a touch line (even though I understand the SSS are easier throw like that than the mediums when new), so I'd opt for a magic or beadless Aviar if my thrashed wizard ever disappeared on me (which has almost happened quite a few times).

I use just the Wizard. I don't think the Warlock is really that much different than the Wizard. I get a little more distance with the Wizard and it is what I'm used to. Once you beat up a Wizard a little bit it will hold a nice slow turn for its whole flight. I kind of think the Magic came out because the Warlock wasn't much different than the Wizard
Whatever you decide just get the more stable of the two and break it in so you can just carry one mold in different stages of wear.

chainsmoker said:
I don't think the Warlock is really that much different than the Wizard.

I try to tell so many people that. The Warlock is a freak stable beadless putter.

Frank_Delicious said:
IThe magic takes some getting used to but it is a great approach disc when you need to finesse a disc in there.

omg yes! A magic will hold that anny line so well for me, where even my bts wizard would eventually fade back.

:showing love for the magic:

But Wizards are magic!

wait...