• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

100 Putts a Day?

How many putts per day

• 100 +

Votes: 11 16.4%
  • 75 +

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • 50 +

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • 25 +

Votes: 14 20.9%
  • Why ?

Votes: 26 38.8%

• Total voters

PBokor

Eagle Member
I'm looking to get a clue about how much you folks practice putting. I gave myself a 100 putt per day challenge this month and so far so good.

How many serious putts do you practice per day? (pick the choice closest to your actual number)

I practice shorter putts from 5-10-15 feet. 20 feet is pushing it for practice right now. Maybe on my 3rd year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a really random work schedule, so I don't get to practice putting as much as I'd like. Some days I get home at 3am & my neighbors would hate me practicing that early in the morning. I usually practice for an hour or so 2-3 times a week. So I definitely practice more than a 100 putts on the days I do get to practice. I'm have a new job lined up. I'll be he off at 5pm so I'll get to practice more & be more involved in leagues. Putting is probably my greatest weakness right now. I should definitely be practicing more.

^ I have learned to love disc golf before breakfast. Helps to have a course 5 minutes from home.

I haven't been practicing at all. Result - I threw the worst tournament of my life last weekend.
One time I threw 1000 putts a day, I saw noticeable improvement.
What was "normal" when I was playing pretty seriously was probably closer to 200 per day.
Back then people would watch me on the course then ask me for putting advice. Now people shake their head and feel sorry for the guy that just 3 putted for the third time..

I spent a couple months doing the 100+ per day, and I have to say I was underwhelmed with my results personally.

I don't get to practice much at all, but recently I've decided to slow my practice pace down, take fewer putts, but really focus on feeling the smooth transfer of momentum/energy from my feet -> up through my torso -> to the fingers -> and follow through. This has built my confidence for putts in that 25-30' tester range.

I've also begun to work on all kinds of stances from straddle to stagger, placing my back foot at different angles and depths (relative to my front foot) to mimic awkward lies, and to see how the rhythm for that aforementioned momentum shift changes based on foot placement.

I started doing that because I realized that my putting green confidence wasn't translating to on-course confidence if my feet weren't perfectly in the stance I practiced...so in other words I wasn't practicing for realistic scenarios.

TLDR slowing down, quality over quantity, helped me more.

I've also begun to work on all kinds of stances from straddle to stagger, placing my back foot at different angles and depths (relative to my front foot) to mimic awkward lies, and to see how the rhythm for that aforementioned momentum shift changes based on foot placement.

I started doing that because I realized that my putting green confidence wasn't translating to on-course confidence if my feet weren't perfectly in the stance I practiced...so in other words I wasn't practicing for realistic scenarios.

A steady stance is a godsend, most are pretty rickety around here.

I'm looking to get a clue about how much you folks practice putting. I gave myself a 100 putt per day challenge this month and so far so good.

How many serious putts do you practice per day? (pick the choice closest to your actual number)

I never count "takes". I'll set my goal to be 100 MADE PUTTS a day, but it's "MAKES" not "takes".

Think about it, it gives an incentive. The better my percentage, the sooner I'm finished.

Maybe adjust your personal goal to 50 or 75 whatever, but I never count "takes." It gives me the correct tourney mindset.

My goal is 101 made putts per day. It came as a result of the Discraft/Mark Ellis putting confidence program. I have 5 stations in my garage from 15-17 feet. 20 makes from each station, plus one extra to be over 100. Most of the time I just use my regular staggered stance and knock them out, but often I will switch stances/styles (stagger, straddle, turbo putt, etc.) and sometimes set up obstacles to mimic bushes/branches etc. that one might encounter on a course. This has increased my confidence to the point that I have even improved at longer distances even without practicing them as much.

One thing I've done is incorporate putting into my workouts. I have a gym set up in my garage, and I'll use the rest periods between sets to get putts in. I find this also increases confidence, because if you know you can make putts when you are tired, then putting while tired won't be an issue at the end of a long round/rounds.

I will toss 25 or 30 when I have some extra time, but that that's about it.

Last edited:
Maybe I'm weird but I practice for 30 minutes. I set my marker where I know I can hit it and make those. I've got three putters, so every time I make two sets of three (6 in a row) I'll move back a stride. End of 30 minutes and I'm done. I've noticed pretty significant improvement since I started that.

I found when I practiced putting, I ended up overthinking my putting stroke/release. I tried the 50 putts a day approach and the 10'-15'-'20'-25'-30' game and ended up with worse results on the course. I prefer to show up ahead of time to a round and get a few practice putts in to gauge how my release is feeling that day. From there, I rely on the fact that I play every week, so the stroke should be there from repetition over the years. The less I think, the better I do.

Zero. I usually don't even practice putt before a round.

I throw ten or 12 every day when I get home from work and sometimes the same when I go out in the morning, depending on how late I'm running. I also do some dedicated time on weekends but it's when I can. I can't imagine having the time to do 100 per day, every day. I have definitely improved simply by getting a basket and throwing some amount every day, so I can see the value of doing more, I just can't see having the time. A common lament, probably.

I have a bucket of 25 putters (about 15 different molds) and I go through that at least once every day and definitely before going to the course about 10 minutes away. I try to get in about 3 or 4 bucket fulls (75-100 putts) every other day, mostly from 20, 25, 30 and 35 feet.

The weeks leading up to a big tourney, 50 to 100 a day. Generally, throw some when I'm outside.

I do have a very serious training regiment for those interested. I have 3 baskets set up in a triangle. Length from first basket to second basket is ~10-12' from that basket to the next is 15-20', which puts my hypotenuse close to about 30'. Let's me run cycles hitting all major distances quickly to build muscle memory and rhythm. I have about 50 putters so I can do speed sessions, where I'm just running through a bunch of putters to get the muscle memory down, or can use just a couple to simulate a more serious putt.

when I think I need practice (missed too many on the course, or upcoming tourney), I'll fire up jyly, it's 100 putts and gives stats on the distances. If jyly doesn't interest me I have a 10 hole target/basket putting course around my house I play forward and backward with 5 putters. for me there is such thing as too much practice, it's around 500/week: I get uninterested and stop caring, or my brain and muscles have a disconnect.
so I would guess my average for putting practice at home is around 250/week

Latest posts