• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2/20/2020 Wysocki Returns

I have no problem standing in front of an angry mob of internet trolls. This is DGCR, they can't even downvote. People are actually advocating yelling at someone, when we all know that they would never say anything to his face.

I have been a nurse for nearly 20 years. I once had a young mother of 4 children under the age of 6, develop a pretty severe gastrointestinal bleed. The bleed was going to require surgery to fix, but her hemoglobin (the red blood cell that carries oxygen about the body) was dangerously low and dropping. The low hemoglobin made surgery nearly un-survivable and she needed a blood transfusion, several units. Problem was she was a Jehovah Witness whose religious convictions did not allow blood transfusions. Even worse, she had a constant vigil of many community faith leaders at bedside nearly non-stop. Ultimately, I had to remove the support group, close the door and have a very difficult conversation about her mortality, her children and her faith.

Rest assured, I would gladly have a similar discussion with Wysocki. Any educated, well meaning adult also should.

I have been a nurse for nearly 20 years. I once had a young mother of 4 children under the age of 6, develop a pretty severe gastrointestinal bleed. The bleed was going to require surgery to fix, but her hemoglobin (the red blood cell that carries oxygen about the body) was dangerously low and dropping. The low hemoglobin made surgery nearly un-survivable and she needed a blood transfusion, several units. Problem was she was a Jehovah Witness whose religious convictions did not allow blood transfusions. Even worse, she had a constant vigil of many community faith leaders at bedside nearly non-stop. Ultimately, I had to remove the support group, close the door and have a very difficult conversation about her mortality, her children and her faith.

Rest assured, I would gladly have a similar discussion with Wysocki. Any educated, well meaning adult also should.
#NURSEPROBLEMS
I can't begin to tell you how many patients I've had become septic or die from NOT following proper medical advice. What's worse is when they rely on the advice or "wisdom" of others who have no medical background other than facebook memes and word of mouth.

For the record, I also have grave concerns about the revelation that Wysocki also was purported to have "several" infections concurrent with the Lyme "diagnosis". Any, or all of these untreated infections could become life threatening.

As the season progresses I'll be interested to see how long he can hold off another flare up. He was probably feeling fine at home in the off season with all the comforts and amenities close by. But travelling on the road, not eating as healthy or getting the same quality sleeps / workouts. I'm sure he's bound to run into a problem eventually...

I love to see him gunning on those final day lead cards. But at a certain point people's beliefs, education, and faith and become a giant ignorant wall.

So what happened? Did the physicians speak to her about other possible solutions, so she wouldn't need a transfusion? Was she given the option of having the surgery done, even considering the risks, while refusing blood? Did you convince her to go against her strong religious beliefs? If so, did you feel good about that, as a nurse, and as a person?

I fully support that, but that's not what my posts have been addressing. Yours was a private conversation between a professional and a person seeking care. The fact that people here can't or won't see the difference is astonishing.

Antiobiotics shouldn't be an end all, be all cure for any disease. Bacteria becomes resistant and develops persister cells.

I hope there is an alternative treatment that works but would rather not see Rick be an experimental subject when his career and livelihood depend on his health.

It boggles my mind when people refuse medical attention due to religion, up to the point where it proves fatal. I'd love to see their face when they meet Saint Peter and he says, "good going dumbass, getting yourself killed over scripture"

Just joking of course. There is no afterlife.

It might boggle your mind, but that is their right. (At least here in the United States)

I don't know the entire story about why Ricky did what he did, so I'm not going to pass judgement on him.

So what happened? Did the physicians speak to her about other possible solutions, so she wouldn't need a transfusion? Was she given the option of having the surgery done, even considering the risks, while refusing blood? Did you convince her to go against her strong religious beliefs? If so, did you feel good about that, as a nurse, and as a person?

Seems like taking a hippocratic oath would require this person to explain how her religion could end up killing her child. I'm no medical professional though.

I fully support that, but that's not what my posts have been addressing. Yours was a private conversation between a professional and a person seeking care. The fact that people here can't or won't see the difference is astonishing.
But it's Rick that publicly made known his decision on how he would try to cure his disease and it was almost like an ad for alternative medicine. It was his right to do so but it comes with the public attention that can be negative too.

I mean it wasn't a medical thing, but I helped talk a woman into leaving her husband, taking her kids and getting into a shelter before he beat her to death. That conversation involved turning her back on her church and faith because she was in a fundamentalist group that disavowed her as soon as she left. I help line up the lawyers that got her sole custody of her kids. She and her kids lived in my house for a few months while she tried to figure out what she was going to do next. As she found her way and moved on with her life we don't see her very often anymore, but I still see her a few times a year. Her oldest child left for college this year. Not for a single instant have I felt anything but good as a person for doing what I did. If I had let her stay with her strong religious beliefs, she would be dead and who knows what would have become of her kids.

I mean it wasn't a medical thing, but I helped talk a woman into leaving her husband, taking her kids and getting into a shelter before he beat her to death. That conversation involved turning her back on her church and faith because she was in a fundamentalist group that disavowed her as soon as she left. I help line up the lawyers that got her sole custody of her kids. She and her kids lived in my house for a few months while she tried to figure out what she was going to do next. As she found her way and moved on with her life we don't see her very often anymore, but I still see her a few times a year. Her oldest child left for college this year. Not for a single instant have I felt anything but good as a person for doing what I did. If I had let her stay with her strong religious beliefs, she would be dead and who knows what would have become of her kids.

If the husband was doing that, then he was not following any Christian beliefs that I have ever heard of. I cannot fathom that the God of my faith would ever hold it against her, either.

I also don't believe that seeking medical attention and being a Christian are mutually exclusive.

I was able to have a brutal and frank discussion with her. I let her know that I thought deciding to abandon four children was the worst kind of atrocity I could think of, regardless of the deity she was leaning on. I was able to ultimately convince her to take blood, on her terms. I actually had to go back in on midnight shift, when no family or religious leadership was around. Gave her 4 units of blood before morning, with nobody being the wiser. I was a VERY hard decision for her. Convincing her to essentially turn her back on her faith was obviously a hard sell. She had surgery and was discharged. This kind of issue is fairly common in a hospital setting and not all have this kind of outcome. As a nurse, I strive for judgement free care and compassion, yet this was a time when I went against this.

If the husband was doing that, then he was not following any Christian beliefs that I have ever heard of. I cannot fathom that the God of my faith would ever hold it against her, either.

I also don't believe that seeking medical attention and being a Christian are mutually exclusive.
It was really weird. The group was really fixated on the "woman is subservient" thing so to question if he was following Christian beliefs wasn't on the table. Whatever he did was right, even though what he was doing was clearly wrong. I never did wrap my brain around it, all I could figure is that it gave her one option. Her option was to stay with him and die. Anything else she could do was going to get her kicked out of her church and (forgot to mention) disowned by her biological family since they are all in that Church. I mean in a logical World she would have taken the kids and lived with her parents instead of holed up in my basement, but that wasn't an option. Her parents took the side of the guy who was going to beat their daughter to death. It was really scary at the time; there were people from her church parked in our cul-de-sac watching our house, weird stuff. In the end, they didn't do anything so I've kinda blocked it out.

tl;dr: There are people who believe a lot of weird things, and there has to be a limit to what we think is OK.

In this case specifically, I guess if he ruins his disc golf career that's his issue. It's not really going to hurt anyone but him.

It was really weird. The group was really fixated on the "woman is subservient" thing so to question if he was following Christian beliefs wasn't on the table. Whatever he did was right, even though what he was doing was clearly wrong. I never did wrap my brain around it, all I could figure is that it gave her one option. Her option was to stay with him and die. Anything else she could do was going to get her kicked out of her church and (forgot to mention) disowned by her biological family since they are all in that Church. I mean in a logical World she would have taken the kids and lived with her parents instead of holed up in my basement, but that wasn't an option. Her parents took the side of the guy who was going to beat their daughter to death. It was really scary at the time; there were people from her church parked in our cul-de-sac watching our house, weird stuff. In the end, they didn't do anything so I've kinda blocked it out.

tl;dr: There are people who believe a lot of weird things, and there has to be a limit to what we think is OK.

In this case specifically, I guess if he ruins his disc golf career that's his issue. It's not really going to hurt anyone but him.

I would argue that he is potentially hurting more than himself. By using a social media platform, in the way of a vlog with Terry Miller and bringing along his "nutritionist", to expound on his non medical treatment platform, he could be sending a wide sweeping message. A dangerous message in my estimation.

I want to remind everyone here that religion is a topic we are not supposed to bring up here on the forums.

If you want to talk about Ricky's religion and how it affected his decisions, you could make a case for that.

However, bringing up some unrelated case of how you saved someone from religion is outside the bound of this discussion.

Like Jimb said, these aforementioned beliefs are not common among all christian churches (they are actually very uncommon) and it is wrong to paint all Christians with the same tainted brush.
I'd like to say more, but again, religion is not the proper topic for these forums, except where it relates directly to the subject at hand, vis a vis, Ricky's poor decisions.