• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2/20/2020 Wysocki Returns

I'll wrap with this - there is a huge amount of hypocrisy, often from the same groups of people, where they tell a person what to do with their body and harass the other party over their decision, or turn a blind eye invoking the same moral code. The analogy should be obvious.

I agree with Albatross, too much has already been said, and not always in an understanding tone.

Ricky has the right to make choices that he believes in (regardless of whether they are from religious, cultural parental or self-discovered beliefs), as long as he is not infringing on the rights of others.

So just because we perceive/believe that he has made poor choices, we should stand for his right to make those choices, even if we disagree with them; even if we "know" them to be wrong.

Most of what I'm reading on this thread is sadness.
I, too, am sad for the consequences of the choices he is making.
But those are his choices to make.

Yeah, sure it's his life and career.

I guess I won't be too surprised if his career goes down hill along with his health then.

But at least it's his choice.

Hopefully he has back up plans for a job.

All these permissive narratives reek of feces.

If McBeth took a penalty throw for teeing off with a mini, I'd say that's a dumb mistake.

It's his decision and he didn't harm anyone else...but it's still dumb.

Even if his Life Spirit Coach said it was OK...it's still dumb.

Is that bullying? I don't know; you tell me. But bullying or not...teeing off with a mini is still a dumb decision. A spade really is a spade here folks. I'll call it as such.

I wish I had access to the actual quotes last fall but pretty sure Ricky explicitly stated religious convictions were the foundation of his choices which presumably his family has held. I agree there was no need to connect that point of view specifically with home schooling.
The whole thing has a certain symmetry to it. He makes the choice not to go to the doctor because of God, and when he's permanently damaged and his career cut short as a result, he'll say it's God's plan. If later in life he finds another pursuit that brings him happiness, it will confirm in his mind that God had it all mapped out for him. Maybe he'll be a wheelchair basketball star.

I'm rooting for him though. I saw his interview with Cory and it's just sad.

The claim that ignorance is a right, can be made. The case that, ignorance is defendable, when a tenet of religion, could also be proposed a right. I counter that education and critical thinking are then also my right. Many may walk by a guy standing on a bridge...I will try to prevent him from jumping.

My point is this. It is dangerous to have an example where someone is intentionally eschewing modern scientific practice. Lyme Disease is serious stuff. This isn't a laughing matter. However, that interview was laughable. I feel like he is being stubborn, and he dug in on this choice so he won't ever get the help he so desperately needs. I have talked to several very educated people in the medical industry about this. Unanimously they said Lyme cannot be treated holistically and that it is dangerous for him not to seek help. Not to mention what a simple Google search will tell you. He needs to GET HELP. He is an absolutely filthy disc golfer, we are better with Rick in the game than not. He is an unreal talent, but that doesn't exclude him from criticism in this matter. I don't think anyone has gone to the bullying level that I have seen. However, people that support him need to realize you may be hurting him instead of helping.

I agree with you. But I do think he will eventually go to a doctor and get treated for real, especially if the progression with his knee is like mine was. Eventually, there will be just no way around it. Or, maybe not, and he's right, and I'm crazy.

I'll wrap with this - there is a huge amount of hypocrisy, often from the same groups of people, where they tell a person what to do with their body and harass the other party over their decision, or turn a blind eye invoking the same moral code. The analogy should be obvious.

I understand your point. I think people would have a lot less to say if Ricky wasn't so publicly espousing the virtues of the path he's chosen to treat Lyme disease. He's been very vocal about it. Gleeful about it, even. He seems giddy when talking to Terry about it. He's agreeing to interviews about it, rather than saying saying no thanks, because his health is a private matter. I happen to think he's a genuinely good guy who is unwittingly doing something pretty dangerous. And he's doing it while sitting there with the same knee swelling I had, claiming it is not due to Lyme.

Is it really unrealistic to think some kid out there, a huge Ricky fan, sees how he's dealing with Lyme and decides to go about it that way, too? I don't want to make this too personal, and I probably already have, but what Ricky is doing, considering what I dealt with, actually offends me.

Ridiculous comparison.

A better analogy would be a type 1 diabetic refusing to take insulin, and everybody yelling, "PLEASE TAKE INSULIN OR YOU ARE GOING TO DIE"

Ricky, and others who support his choice here or just think it should be let go, are only not hurting anyone else directly, and in this one particular case. What about the people who work with Ricky? What if we were talking about Ricky's underage child instead? What if we were talking about polio? What about the kid who looks up to Ricky? I haven't seen anything mean enough on the internet to outweigh this kind of dangerous thinking.

I understand your point. I think people would have a lot less to say if Ricky wasn't so publicly espousing the virtues of the path he's chosen to treat Lyme disease. He's been very vocal about it. Gleeful about it, even. He seems giddy when talking to Terry about it. He's agreeing to interviews about it, rather than saying saying no thanks, because his health is a private matter. I happen to think he's a genuinely good guy who is unwittingly doing something pretty dangerous. And he's doing it while sitting there with the same knee swelling I had, claiming it is not due to Lyme.

Is it really unrealistic to think some kid out there, a huge Ricky fan, sees how he's dealing with Lyme and decides to go about it that way, too? I don't want to make this too personal, and I probably already have, but what Ricky is doing, considering what I dealt with, actually offends me.

My brother died from neurological complications from Lyme. "Celebrities" espousing bull**** remedies piss me off too.

I was mad at my friends when no one let me know I was getting fat. If I was throwing away my career and health while a quack profited off of me and everyone was "too nice" to tell me, I'd be furious.

During the interview with Terry, Rick says he has faith in his nutritionist because "he has cured it himself and has tons of clients that he's cured".

Only a few moments later, the nutritionist implicitly states MULTIPLE times that he does NOT cure anybody or anything. Hearing this and hearing Rick bring up his mental awareness repeatedly, makes me have to consider that he may be dealing with some type of autism spectrum disorder. Stating that this knee injury has nothing to do with Lyme disease shows me he is having difficulty comprehending.

I was mad at my friends when no one let me know I was getting fat. If I was throwing away my career and health while a quack profited off of me and everyone was "too nice" to tell me, I'd be furious.
I can't imagine telling a friend he's getting fat, mostly because I would assume he already knows. :confused:

Come on buddy. Do you own a scale? Did you notice pants fitting more snug?

strangest white knighting i ever did see, right here in this thread

the only person that ought to be ashamed about what has been said on this topic is Ricky

Ridiculous comparison.

A better analogy would be a type 1 diabetic refusing to take insulin, and everybody yelling, "PLEASE TAKE INSULIN OR YOU ARE GOING TO DIE"

It's perfectly logical analogy, and is only being ridiculed because people in this thread have already made up their mind - they've chosen to go with the mob. Again, saying something is bad once is one thing, yelling at someone for 6 months is a whole other, and to put it lightly everybody is not using the word PLEASE.