• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2 meter rule application

Anyone ever think to go ahead and make the call once the card sees the disc stop moving. If the OP is right and it was obvious, then just make the call, inform everyone, and ask the card for a consensus ruling. Then whether the rest of the card disagrees, or if they agree and it later comes down out of the tree, it will not matter.

In ball golf it doesn't, because the USGA is smart enough to know that anytime you have a judgement call that affects the outcome of a match, there's a good chance the parties are not going to agree. (Not that it's even feasible for either of them to know the true cause of the movement in many cases).

I, too, would like to see the rewording of the rules to remove as many judgement calls as possible. In particular, the judgement calls which occur in a split-second and are nonreviewable are the most troublesome to me. I believe there is some promise in an earlier idea of changing a few of the moment-of-release rules to instead pertain to at-the-conclusion-of-the-throwing-motion instead.

When a dozen people on this forum can look at a HD clip of a jump-putt in slow motion and be split down the middle on it's legality, something is amiss in the rules. There's no way 2-3 other cardmates can be expected to arrive at the correct ruling with near-certainty, when a dozen others who can rewatch the event as many times as they want, as slow as they want, are unable.

When a dozen people on this forum can look at a HD clip of a jump-putt in slow motion and be split down the middle on it's legality, something is amiss in the rules. There's no way 2-3 other cardmates can be expected to arrive at the correct ruling with near-certainty, when a dozen others who can rewatch the event as many times as they want, as slow as they want, are unable.

It's also worth looking at how much that uncertainty matters. On those borderline jump putts, if your feet are off the ground you're losing the whole benefit of the jump putt by not getting that extra push into your throw, but since it's close to legal you're not gaining any advantage by being closer to the hole either.

Not everything is black & white. When in the many gray areas, I think the card members should consider whether the player's intent was to achieve an unfair advantage, regardless of the outcome of the action (e.g. whether or not the putt was made).

Best line I heard at the National Collegiate Disc Golf Championships:

"Just try to get it stuck up in the trees above the basket - it's ok, they don't have rules out here."

Maybe not the best thread for it, but I wanted to share.

It's also worth looking at how much that uncertainty matters. On those borderline jump putts, if your feet are off the ground you're losing the whole benefit of the jump putt by not getting that extra push into your throw, but since it's close to legal you're not gaining any advantage by being closer to the hole either.

I feel this is wrong. As the rules are written, a putt's success or failure should have no impact on deciding a rule infraction. Although, I may be in favor of rewording the rules to make an exception for such a case, if only for the sake of the speed of play.

I can imagine a situation this exception would get sketchy, though. Suppose a player is deep into the shule with a 1% chance of making a crazy around-the-trees putt. In a clever attempt to exploit the "no one calls a foot foul on a missed putt" rule, the player clearly illegally jump-putts sideways. In doing so, he gave himself a clear look at the basket by jumping away from the trees, if only for a moment during mid-air. This didn't allow him to make his putt, but it was very easy to set himself up for a tap-in. Had he stayed in the shule and tried to throw from there, he would likely have not placed himself well enough for a tap-in.

In summary, he was never going to make the putt from the shule. His goal was merely to finish the hole on his *next* throw. Ignoring the conditions for a foot-foul was the best way to make it happen.

What I'm trying to express is: either way to play the game of golf is fine with me. But, whichever one we choose, lets make the rules explicitly say such. This "the rules only apply when I want them to" does not sit well with me at all.

I feel this is wrong. As the rules are written, a putt's success or failure should have no impact on deciding a rule infraction. Although, I may be in favor of rewording the rules to make an exception for such a case, if only for the sake of the speed of play.

I can imagine a situation this exception would get sketchy, though. Suppose a player is deep into the shule with a 1% chance of making a crazy around-the-trees putt. In a clever attempt to exploit the "no one calls a foot foul on a missed putt" rule, the player clearly illegally jump-putts sideways. In doing so, he gave himself a clear look at the basket by jumping away from the trees, if only for a moment during mid-air. This didn't allow him to make his putt, but it was very easy to set himself up for a tap-in. Had he stayed in the shule and tried to throw from there, he would likely have not placed himself well enough for a tap-in.

In summary, he was never going to make the putt from the shule. His goal was merely to finish the hole on his *next* throw. Ignoring the conditions for a foot-foul was the best way to make it happen.

What I'm trying to express is: either way to play the game of golf is fine with me. But, whichever one we choose, lets make the rules explicitly say such. This "the rules only apply when I want them to" does not sit well with me at all.

I think you didn't quite understand my post. My point had nothing to do with the outcome of the shot and I completely agree that it should be independent of rules enforcement. My point was that in the specific case of jump putts, the ones that are too close to call don't provide an advantage to the player so it's not worth stressing about the fact that there's a tiny gray area. If the player moves enough that you can actually tell they're off the ground when they release the disc I completely agree that a foot fault should be called regardless of how the shot ends up.

Latest posts