• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Discraft Ace Race

But this is the first year they're explicitly stating you must use the discs from each individual event's player package and the TD must charge each player the same amount, correct?

Did Discraft offer an option to play with a previous event's discs? No. It was $25 for the event, not $25 for the event with the Player's Pack OR $10 for the event with a previous event's discs.

That hasn't been an option for quite some time.

It was treated as an option by some pretty large Ace Races in years past. As long as you were still using the Ace Race discs, you didn't have to be using the ones from that specific players pack.

Maybe this is just Discraft clarifying what their intention was all along, but I don't like it.

It was treated as an option by some pretty large Ace Races in years past. As long as you were still using the Ace Race discs, you didn't have to be using the ones from that specific players pack.

Then those are probably the events that made Discraft be more blunt about the rules. I know for a fact that wasn't allowed in my area with Ace Races being within a hour of each other.

Maybe this is just Discraft clarifying what their intention was all along, but I don't like it.

Then don't play the event. It's as simple as that.

Then don't play the event. It's as simple as that.

Agreed,but if I am choosing not to play something because of the specific actions of a company it seems reasonable to make that information public so that the company in question can choose to change or not change their stance after hearing from the public.

That's fair, but from their point of view it's irrelevant money-wise whether those people pay $10 to the TD that doesn't go back to Discraft, or just don't play. From the standpoint of what they want the event to be, I can see their point of wanting everyone to be on a level playing field without extra experience with a particular disc.

From 2011's Ace Race. Left column, under the Rules of Play category.

From 2010's Ace Race. Same spot.

As I stated, I've been intimately familiar with the rules since I started doing this...indeed, I ran across this "new" rule while on the Ace Race site seeing if anything had changed, which is when the reworded verbiage caught my attention. It was never specified, or even implied, that TDs couldn't do what I and others have been doing for a while. I would expect an official "Rules Update" announcement from DC rather than having to discover these things on my own...

And I agree with others that this rule doesn't prevent anyone from getting familiar with the disc before the event...I've always allowed early check-ins to warm up and even get to know the shortened holes, and yes people will "speed break-in" the discs with some pavement or tree throws. I've never had a complaint in regards to fairness, because as far as I know people show up to have fun, and the more aces and metal hits ALL AROUND the greater the collective fun factor, so I still don't get it. :\

As I stated, I've been intimately familiar with the rules since I started doing this...indeed, I ran across this "new" rule while on the Ace Race site seeing if anything had changed, which is when the reworded verbiage caught my attention. It was never specified, or even implied, that TDs couldn't do what I and others have been doing for a while. I would expect an official "Rules Update" announcement from DC rather than having to discover these things on my own...

And I agree with others that this rule doesn't prevent anyone from getting familiar with the disc before the event...I've always allowed early check-ins to warm up and even get to know the shortened holes, and yes people will "speed break-in" the discs with some pavement or tree throws. I've never had a complaint in regards to fairness, because as far as I know people show up to have fun, and the more aces and metal hits ALL AROUND the greater the collective fun factor, so I still don't get it. :\
Hell yes! And with how awesome this player's pack is, there's no reason to think you can't get your money's worth by buying into more than one event. Discraft pint glasses are what I'm looking forward to adding to my cupboard! :hfive:

I don't think the rules changed so much as they were more explicitly defined.

The quotes in my comment that weren't carried over to your reply imply that you get two discs from a players pack. Rationalizing that a players pack is a players pack, regardless of what event they were handed out, is pretty extreme, especially with a clearly marked $25 event price tag. If it were $25 for all events that would be different.

That's fair, but from their point of view it's irrelevant money-wise whether those people pay $10 to the TD that doesn't go back to Discraft, or just don't play. From the standpoint of what they want the event to be, I can see their point of wanting everyone to be on a level playing field without extra experience with a particular disc.
It's irrelevant to DC as far as bottom line on this event, but it is relevant to
them in terms of making ther TD's happy, and allowing TD's to raise more funds to offer better prizes, or donate more money to the course.

More prizes offered, or money donated to the course, the more likely the TD is going to want to keep running events.

This whole argument seems ludicrous. And it also seems a shame that DC has to get into the weeds to ensure compliance with the rules. But I'm glad they are addressing this situation.

Why is common sense such an issue for folks? I seriously doubt that profit margin has anything to do with the Ace Race in and of itself. But for me common sense dictates that the profit DC gains comes from creating a fun event. A fun event for everyone. Everyone playing on as level a playing field as possible. 4 years ago my wife won the event. And lets just say she was far from the best player out there. But she had as good a chance as any. 2 years ago a 13 year old kid won. He was also new to the sport. And that's how the event should go.

I can't say for other Ace Races but the one held here in WNY follows the letter and spirit of the rules. And by doing that it makes it just that much more fun.

Prolly just a matter of time before people try to ruin Vibram's Birdie Bash... :rolleyes: :popcorn:

Boy, what a buzzkill this thread is. Discraft has been a consistant promoter of our sport in my area. I have had several encounters with them supporting kids events with plasitic and more, at a considerable loss. I don't see the Ace Race as some big revenue generating gig. But, I do see how entitled golfers could ruin this for the masses. Buy a pack, play the event, have fun. Anything outside of that is a golfers self inflated sense of themselves. Seriously, the event was obviously intended to hand everyone a new disc and have them all throw it. Why does anyone feel it is OK to think they should be given a break on entry price, for any reason? I am not that special, therefore I see no reason.

Boy, what a buzzkill this thread is. Discraft has been a consistant promoter of our sport in my area. I have had several encounters with them supporting kids events with plasitic and more, at a considerable loss. I don't see the Ace Race as some big revenue generating gig. But, I do see how entitled golfers could ruin this for the masses. Buy a pack, play the event, have fun. Anything outside of that is a golfers self inflated sense of themselves. Seriously, the event was obviously intended to hand everyone a new disc and have them all throw it. Why does anyone feel it is OK to think they should be given a break on entry price, for any reason? I am not that special, therefore I see no reason.

:clap:

Reading comprehesion FTL. I have lots of other courses, I play them often. To play those events and spend less money I also forgo getting anything from the players pack. That is no longer an option? Fine, but DC should understand that it will impact quite a few of their ace races because people like me who would otherwise possibly come out won't, simply because nothing else in the players pack is stuff you need more of.

I have no problem with them making money, I hope they continue to make money so they can continue to make discs. I just want them to be clear on why they are doing it.

Before entering a debate, check your premise. Has the thought not occured to you that it isn't Discraft's intent to cater players playng multiple events. They have had a rule for several years now that ace races can not be within 30 miles of each other. Sure they may lose some repeat players with this rules clarification, but if repeat players was never their goal, then they don't really lose anything.

But now the rule is you have to use the discs from the player's pack you receive the day of each event.

and how are they going to regulate that?

Before entering a debate, check your premise. Has the thought not occured to you that it isn't Discraft's intent to cater players playng multiple events. They have had a rule for several years now that ace races can not be within 30 miles of each other. Sure they may lose some repeat players with this rules clarification, but if repeat players was never their goal, then they don't really lose anything.

Agreed that they don't lose anything here, but they might in the long run as TD's run less events because there is less money for charity or prizes available. Also the 30 mile rule doesn't at all stop repeat players. There will be at least 5 ace races this year within 30 miles of me.

and how are they going to regulate that?
The only rules that are feasible to enforce:

1) everyone uses this years disc.
2) everyone pays the same entrance fee.

Beyond that, it's gonna be tough to enforce much, and the degree to which those two are enforced is obviously up to the TD.

Can we please get past this? :\

entitled golfers

this right here is hurting our growth more than anything imo. entitled, elitist, its all the same. this si more harmful than the hippie image. players feel entitled to get stuff, but they cant justify why they think they deserve it.
this needs to stop tho. how many casuals do you think get turned off when they interact with competitive players and they get all sorts of attitude from us because they arent in the know or their terminology is "wrong"? its alot more prevalent than you might think.
last fall i ran into a casual and played the rest of the round with him. he was actually quite good, and i told him he should try tournaments he would easily win the Rec divison and compete for the top of INT. he told me know way cause most of the tournament players he has meet have been total dbags. i was a lil surprised at this and asked him what he meant by it. he went on a short rant but his basic point was the elitist attitude was a turn off (went on and on about hating being corrected for calling it frolf). at the time it didnt really click but i told him that not all competitive players are like that and he should try leagues some time, usually its more relaxed (i was out-of-town so idk for his area). now i think about it and it makes me wonder how many casuals have this same opinion.
i have been guilty in the past, and probably will be in the future, but this has been a recent revelation of mine and will take some time to get it out of my system.

/rant

Latest posts