• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Discraft Ace Race

Personally, I am less than impressed with the extras in the players pack this year, but it's hard to beat giving out a bag or a nice hat.

As for the disc, I'm going to say the same thing I said before. Discraft's biggest hole is right around the "Beast" area. I think a TI Beast would be pretty sweet and a great ace race disc.

Just to provide a little data on Ace Races (and ace probabilities.. For holes in the 175-200ft. range, and an 'average' group of players, it's probably safe to estimate the odds of an Ace at about 0.25% per throw. So, if your event hosts 40 players:

40 players * 36 throws / player * 0.0025 aces / throw = ~3.6 Aces at the event.

Setting your ace race course much longer than 200ft, and you'll be lucky to see any aces at all. i.e. just because it's a driver doesn't mean you'll want to set the holes longer this year.

Source: data collected from the local Ace Race event, plus data from Steve West's throw simulator (and his probability of an ace spreadsheet).

^Look at you, being helpful!

Seriously though, good data and thanks!

Our holes are consistently around 120 - 150 for most of them, and last year we had around 6 or 7 players with 1 ace. The winner had 3 metal hits and there were, let's say, around 10-12 total metals.

Which is about how I like it. I don't want 65 foot jump putts.
Not too easy, and not too hard.

No one has complained yet that our holes were too long, or too short.

They'll be about the same this year, too.

Last edited:
I aced last year with the zombee on a steep uphill hole that was about 250.

I'm excited to see what this years disc is like. Beginner friendly distance driver? In Discraft terms that would be a speed 9 or 10? Like avenger or predator rim? Just way flippier?

A slower Avenger SS perhaps?

An answer to the River?

On another note this thread absolutely kills me because it is proof that there is no way on the face of the Earth you are going to make everyone happy...

I'll be running my 6th Ace Race this October, but I'm concerned after visiting the "TD Info" section on the Ace Race website under the FAQs, where you'll see a "new rule":

Q: One of my players wants to throw discs he got at an Ace Race earlier in the season. Can I charge him less and just not give him a player package?

A: No. All entry fees must be the same ($25 or international equivalent), all players must receive a player pack and use the new discs in it. In an effort to keep the event as fair as possible for all participants, no "seasoned" discs are allowed.

I say B.S. to this. Myself and a few other TDs in WI have allowed this for a number of years -- if you play an earlier event, just show up with your prototype discs, pay $10 or so, and be eligible for the same prizes. This has encouraged repeat participation in Discraft's event (but they don't make any money off these transactions, so maybe that's the issue more than "seasoned discs," which NOBODY has ever complained about at my events!) around the state, because not everybody can afford or wants to buy another player's pack. I typically get 6-10 people, less than 20% of the field, who play using this incentive, and now that I've had to push my date back to October (I've usually been scheduled around mid-September), I'll be one of the latest events in the state and would probably have an even bigger percentage of "disc-in-hand" players.

Any other TDs or players concur? If this is really about fun, and the format has already been reduced to using ONLY Ace Race discs, why restrict the fun even more? I really don't see this as "unfair" to any players!

^ IMHO, the advantage is having thrown that mold before and understanding how it behaves.
The issue isn't using a "seasoned" disc, it's that the player has seasoning with that mold.

They could have thrown it for several rounds to get a bit more dialed in, and I don't see how buying a new player's pack levels the playing field from that standpoint. Besisdes, it's unsanctioned - TD's have more latitude to run things the way they want.

Last edited:
I'll be running my 6th Ace Race this October, but I'm concerned after visiting the "TD Info" section on the Ace Race website under the FAQs, where you'll see a "new rule":

Q: One of my players wants to throw discs he got at an Ace Race earlier in the season. Can I charge him less and just not give him a player package?

A: No. All entry fees must be the same ($25 or international equivalent), all players must receive a player pack and use the new discs in it. In an effort to keep the event as fair as possible for all participants, no "seasoned" discs are allowed.

I say B.S. to this. Myself and a few other TDs in WI have allowed this for a number of years -- if you play an earlier event, just show up with your prototype discs, pay $10 or so, and be eligible for the same prizes. This has encouraged repeat participation in Discraft's event (but they don't make any money off these transactions, so maybe that's the issue more than "seasoned discs," which NOBODY has ever complained about at my events!) around the state, because not everybody can afford or wants to buy another player's pack. I typically get 6-10 people, less than 20% of the field, who play using this incentive, and now that I've had to push my date back to October (I've usually been scheduled around mid-September), I'll be one of the latest events in the state and would probably have an even bigger percentage of "disc-in-hand" players.

Any other TDs or players concur? If this is really about fun, and the format has already been reduced to using ONLY Ace Race discs, why restrict the fun even more? I really don't see this as "unfair" to any players!

I am in favor of the new rule. One of the great things about the ace race is everyone is using a new mold for the first time.

I am in favor of the new rule. One of the great things about the ace race is everyone is using a new mold for the first time.

Just so we're clear, then you think people should only play in on Ace Race per year, right?
I can see that logic. I don't see the logic in saying they can play a 2nd Ace Race, but only if they buy a new Player's Pack, even if it is a bargain.

Perhaps I misunderstood their use of the word "seasoned." I think they're simply trying to exclude the use of discs other than this year's disc.

Last edited:
I've never played in an Ace Race, but a fairway driver is fun to run at 175-250 ft holes.

Sounds like a good time to me. I might play in one... maybe. Probably not.

um, I just don't get all the hate about throwing a driver on a short hole. it will be very similar to last year: throw flat, out to the right(rhbh), nice and easy, and watch it hook right into the basket! CHING.
it may be more difficult for beginners, but this where veterans should step in and help.

I started out at a short course with no mids or putters to my name. Hit quite a few aces with drivers in the 115-180 ft. range when I wasn't very good at all. I wasn't really a fan of the Zombee, but I managed to get an ace and a couple metals with it. I can't wait to play again this year.

You sir are an idiot. This is a terrible move by Discraft. 2years ago I played in 3 ace races, mostly because I could reuse the terrible zepplins I got. I would not have played in 2 of them if I had to buy another players pack.

Once you get the disc and throw it, you are not using the mold for the first time. All the Ace Race discs are the same mold, so you won't be surprised. I really think Discraft **** the bed on this ruling, it will cost events attendance.

An idiot? Seriously? He just stated his opinion. I hope this 'anyone who disagrees with me on DGCR is an idiot' thing is just a phase.

Personally I like the rule. Doing anything other than that sort of defeats the purpose of the event. I wouldn't have a lot of heartburn with folks playing more than one, but if you must, then follow the rules just like any other event.

Sounds kind of cheesy to me to play more than one without ponying up the $25. The rules stipulate that no one is supposed to throw the disc before the actual start of the event. This puts everyone at a level playing field for how the disc will fly. And if you follow the rules to the letter you get to learn what the disc will and will not do. But if you've already used the disc you've got a leg up on the rest of the field, or could have.

I believe I'd be a bit irked if I came in 2nd to someone who already threw the disc for a round or two.

Just my humble opinion.

An idiot? Seriously? He just stated his opinion. I hope this 'anyone who disagrees with me on DGCR is an idiot' thing is just a phase.

If it's a phase, it's been active since I joined over four years ago.

The way I see it, they're two different events. Should I ask the TD of my next tourney to allow me to sign up for the event at a reduced cost because I played last year?

Our local Ace Race is for charity (aren't they all supposed to be? - serious question) so it would be a pretty tacky move to ask to have to pay less because I don't want another pack.

Those that don't want to follow the rules and pay for a pack, are there no other courses in the area you can play?

Reread the issue though. You have him and another mouth breather stating they think people should be throwing these discs for the very first time at the Ace Race. Unless they are playing the first ones of the year (Like I am, Becker MN on August 3rd, want to come throw with me or tell me I am retarded to my face? I'll be there /shameless cheap plug) they will already have had a chance to throw the disc. Disc variety from one to another is pretty consistent. If I go to one ace race, and get the discs, and then spend a month throwing it, going to another and getting the same disc in the same weight it will be pretty similar and I will have the same advantage.

If Discraft is going to allow people to play in more than 1 ace race (which I don't think they could really stop anyways) then there is no reason other than greed to state that they have to buy a full new players pack instead of using the current ace race disc that they have already purchased.

Maybe they don't understand that Discraft is releasing 1 mold for all the Ace Races, or they are thinking that they can show up with an ace race disc from a few years ago (Hornet anyone) and try and use that, both of those thoughts are stupidity talking. His opinion is stupid and wrong because it has no basis in fact. It would be like me stating my opinion is that the world is flat. It would be wrong even though it is my opinion.

Our local Ace Race is for charity (aren't they all supposed to be? - serious question) so it would be a pretty tacky move to ask to have to pay less because I don't want another pack.

I think the majority of ace races are run as course fundraisers.

Sitting here laughing at the cheap-asses who want to play in a great event like an ace race for free just because they paid for another one.

Seriously...pay the fee and get another players pack. If you don't want it, sell it on here for 30 bucks for the guys who aren't able to play in these events if they want some cool stuff. Feel good about supporting an event that is excellent for the sport. You've already got an advantage over the rest of the field that has no experience with the mold...and now you want a shot at the prizes for free? Give me a break.

I think the majority of ace races are run as course fundraisers.

Then I will say that anyone who doesn't want to pay for another pack should find another course to play for the day. It's a shame that some people can only think about the plastic. "I don't want this crappy disc, but I want to play in multiple events where I'm only allowed to throw this crappy disc I don't want."

Sitting here laughing at the cheap-asses who want to play in a great event like an ace race for free just because they paid for another one.

Seriously...pay the fee and get another players pack. If you don't want it, sell it on here for 30 bucks for the guys who aren't able to play in these events if they want some cool stuff. Feel good about supporting an event that is excellent for the sport. You've already got an advantage over the rest of the field that has no experience with the mold...and now you want a shot at the prizes for free? Give me a break.

Not for free, for a reduced fee.

Last edited:
If Discraft is going to allow people to play in more than 1 ace race (which I don't think they could really stop anyways) then there is no reason other than greed to state that they have to buy a full new players pack instead of using the current ace race disc that they have already purchased.

That is laughable. Seriously laughable. :doh::doh::doh:

Latest posts