• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Tourney Videos

http://vimeo.com/80193450

Final Round of SoCal Pro Championship

featuring Nikko, Rico and Tapken

On some of the shorter holes (#10-200') that are totally open, why does everyone still throw a high hyzer shot? You mean these guys cant deliver a nice straight shot to the basket? :confused:

Seems like a putter would do the job. Throw it as an approach shot to not blow by the basket...or am I thinking too much? Seems like the wind wasn't a factor.

Will the hyzer line just give you a better ace/skip ace chance?

Nice vid by the way:clap:

A hyzer is just a more natural shot and has a higher percentage for success.

I never really understood that.

Maybe I'm too new, but I throw straight at the basket when I can with putters on upshots. I can range them just fine. I don't even "see" the hyzer line, and when I throw flat, my disc sits quickly and doesn't catch pop up on edge and roll away nearly as often as the ones where I am forced to come in on an angle.

I don't know what's more "natural" or why a hyzer has a higher percentage shot. You could argue that any side wind would make a tilted disc less predictable than a flat one, as it could be knocked down or carried if the wind hits the top or bottom of the disc.

Probably OT for this thread though.

hyzer spike/skip are pretty predictable if you are familiar with the course and conditions.

I never really understood that.

Maybe I'm too new, but I throw straight at the basket when I can with putters on upshots. I can range them just fine. I don't even "see" the hyzer line, and when I throw flat, my disc sits quickly and doesn't catch pop up on edge and roll away nearly as often as the ones where I am forced to come in on an angle.

I don't know what's more "natural" or why a hyzer has a higher percentage shot. You could argue that any side wind would make a tilted disc less predictable than a flat one, as it could be knocked down or carried if the wind hits the top or bottom of the disc.

Probably OT for this thread though.

Yea your thinking is a little flawed. A hyzer is the most predictable because it isdown with an overstable disc and that disc only wants to go one place. Its pretty much a point ad shoot, just get your power right and your dead on everytime. With a flat shot you always run the risk or putting too much or not enough power a the disc and getting it to hyzer early or anyhyzer early, both of those will make you not a happy camper. And with wind, the flat shot is a lot more unpredictable because it is usually thrown with a neutral disc and in the wind it can go wherever it likes while the hyzer shot will still pretty much act the same.

On some of the shorter holes (#10-200') that are totally open, why does everyone still throw a high hyzer shot? You mean these guys cant deliver a nice straight shot to the basket? :confused:

Seems like a putter would do the job. Throw it as an approach shot to not blow by the basket...or am I thinking too much? Seems like the wind wasn't a factor.

On that particular hole, if I'm remembering the correct hole, the shot was a pretty significant downhill throw as well. I think the hyzer there is more to control the risk of overshooting the target by too much. It's much easier to ensure the disc goes to the ground where you want it with a hyzer shot than something flat and straight. If the disc is flat and relatively parallel to the ground, it's not going to fall all that hard/quickly and the downhill effect is going to exacerbate its float (the ground is matching its descent angle). It's just going to take the disc longer to get to the ground in that situation, which is an undesirable outcome on such a short hole.

And I'm fairly certain those were putters that those guys were throwing there. I doubt very much that they'd break out mids for a 200 foot downhill shot, even on a hyzer line that extends the in-flight distance covered.

That hole drops off right behind the pin. You can see what happens to my drive when I throw it too far. I didnt put enough hyzer on mine and it glided too far and left me stuck in the bushes.

On that particular hole, if I'm remembering the correct hole, the shot was a pretty significant downhill throw as well. I think the hyzer there is more to control the risk of overshooting the target by too much. It's much easier to ensure the disc goes to the ground where you want it with a hyzer shot than something flat and straight. If the disc is flat and relatively parallel to the ground, it's not going to fall all that hard/quickly and the downhill effect is going to exacerbate its float (the ground is matching its descent angle). It's just going to take the disc longer to get to the ground in that situation, which is an undesirable outcome on such a short hole.

And I'm fairly certain those were putters that those guys were throwing there. I doubt very much that they'd break out mids for a 200 foot downhill shot, even on a hyzer line that extends the in-flight distance covered.

Yep we all threw putters. Stevie threw a clutch, Nikko a prodigy putter (not sure), and I threw a fuzion judge.

HYZER

what does everybody think of that last Forest Hills round I put up. the guy filming just started doing vids.

Last edited:
footage was good, i liked the hole, par, distance while they were driving, just not a huge fan of it moving around. all in all, nice work and great to see another camera rolling for the sport we love.

Im Garrett, had a lot of fun during that round despite a few early butterflies and rollaways haha!

Hmm.. it looks like no one else noticed the scoring error on hole 3? Your score (this is in the video, of course, and maybe not on the card) was listed as a 3.. but that was definitely a 4 (three throws plus one penalty for the optional re-throw).

Hmm.. it looks like no one else noticed the scoring error on hole 3? Your score (this is in the video, of course, and maybe not on the card) was listed as a 3.. but that was definitely a 4 (three throws plus one penalty for the optional re-throw).

I noticed the error and it was a 5 actually. Drive, upshot, missed putt, OB stroke, made putt.

My overall score was correct though, went from -11 to -9.

I noticed the error and it was a 5 actually. Drive, upshot, missed putt, OB stroke, made putt.

My overall score was correct though, went from -11 to -9.

Heh oops I missed the upshot. :p Thanks :)

Edit: also yeah, very tough luck on that hole! :p

Latest posts