• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Discraft Ace Race

There was still tons of aces last year at my event with the Mantis. If you put the holes at 75 to 150 ft, it doesn't matter the disc, you still have a better shot at an ace than you would have with a driver and a 350 ft hole. Plus shorter holes make it fun for first timers and newbies who can't even throw farther than 150 ft, no matter the disc.

The point of the Discraft Ace Race is to test out a new disc and have fun with it. Discraft could make the disc a longer Nuke and I think 90% of the people there would still have fun.

There was still tons of aces last year at my event with the Mantis. If you put the holes at 75 to 150 ft, it doesn't matter the disc, you still have a better shot at an ace than you would have with a driver and a 350 ft hole. Plus shorter holes make it fun for first timers and newbies who can't even throw farther than 150 ft, no matter the disc.

The point of the Discraft Ace Race is to test out a new disc and have fun with it. Discraft could make the disc a longer Nuke and I think 90% of the people there would still have fun.

^^^

That poster right there get's it.

wanted a putter or mid.....oh well ....another 'beginner friendly driver' I can't wait for the 2015 ACE RACE!!!! Introducing A 'Beginner Friendly Driver!!!" It's like the mantis....or the Zombee.....or the Avenger SS.......we just blend all those molds together!!! ((actually sounds like a good disc)).

but seriously.........no more "beginner friendly" drivers.....put out something different. I think they are stillllll trying to get a """Teebird" type disc. whatever....ill still play

$10 bucks say these are too flippy at the Ace Race, then the production runs are a more overstable.

I'd have liked to see a very overstable 7-10 disc. DC doesn't have a super beefy utility disc in the range. The Predator is plenty overstable but it's not crazy utility beef.

Just re-release the Zeppelin and ignore all the hacks who said it was a bad disc.

I'm a 100% Discraft guy.....the 2014 Ace race disc will be utterly useless in my bag. I already have an AvengerSS and a NukeSS In my bag with no huge gap between.....oh well, there is always 2015 for a slower disc right?

I get a feeling DC has mistaken more interest in ace races as more interest in the discs they are releasing. In truth disc golf is growing and attracting more participants. 3 discs in a row have been driver type molds and thats just crazy. The mantis last year was ridiculous and I will probably be skipping out this year.

I don't think so. I don't really understand how last year was ridiculous. I played two and hit three aces and more than a handful of metal. It really is about having fun. I play enough tournaments and fuel my competitive side. Any disc is fine, just throw it at the chains.

I think the Zombee was THE perfect Ace Race disc....with that being said.....I'm not that excited for this disc........but I will still play and have fun....so its all good :)

Frankly, I miss the days when we got a putter or mid-range disc for the Ace Race.

Very disappointing.
:confused::confused::confused:

I really don't get all the whining. You guys do realize that the player with a complete bag is not who the AR is aimed at right? We're welcome to participate, but it's designed to be accessible to all. I'm with the vast majority here who were hoping for the Buzzz OS to be the AR disc (or at least something slower than the Zombee).

However, after sharing the info about the disc with a couple co-workers who don't play nearly as frequently as I do they have both indicated that they are more likely to be interested in doing the AR now. Listening to them talk they felt (inaccurately, I know) that they would be more likely to hit metal/get an ace with a disc that "they could throw all the way to the basket". We've all seen the one disc wonder toting around their distance driver, and it seems like this is the market Discraft is catering to. "Give the people what they want" is good business sense, even if the "experts" here think that a mid or putter would be a better choice.

I really don't get all the whining. You guys do realize that the player with a complete bag is not who the AR is aimed at right? We're welcome to participate, but it's designed to be accessible to all.
Couldnt agree more. A lot of whining in this thread for a gimmick tournament where you get two new discs and a bunch of swag for only $25. Sorry its not the disc of your dreams.

:confused::confused::confused:

I really don't get all the whining. You guys do realize that the player with a complete bag is not who the AR is aimed at right? We're welcome to participate, but it's designed to be accessible to all. I'm with the vast majority here who were hoping for the Buzzz OS to be the AR disc (or at least something slower than the Zombee).

However, after sharing the info about the disc with a couple co-workers who don't play nearly as frequently as I do they have both indicated that they are more likely to be interested in doing the AR now. Listening to them talk they felt (inaccurately, I know) that they would be more likely to hit metal/get an ace with a disc that "they could throw all the way to the basket". We've all seen the one disc wonder toting around their distance driver, and it seems like this is the market Discraft is catering to. "Give the people what they want" is good business sense, even if the "experts" here think that a mid or putter would be a better choice.

Couldnt agree more. A lot of whining in this thread for a gimmick tournament where you get two new discs and a bunch of swag for only $25. Sorry its not the disc of your dreams.

Would you rather enter a road race with a Porsche 911 (aka a z buzz) or a reinvented AMC Gremlin (aka 2014 ace race disc)?

Somebody else who knows nothing about cars wouldn't care much.

Quick rant: As a TD, if I was able to tell my local DG club they're getting Buzzes for Ace Races discs, I would get double the particpants of telling them it's a new prototype.

Discraft Ace Races are counterintuitive for marketting. Sure, they promote a brand, but they also promote an unknown product. Why not further promote the brand by promoting a known and well liked product.

I love Discraft - but i'm already considering replacing this event with Legacy's next year.

Would you rather enter a road race with a Porsche 911 (aka a z buzz) or a reinvented AMC Gremlin (aka 2014 ace race disc)?

Somebody else who knows nothing about cars wouldn't care much.

Most drivers who have never driven a race car at high speeds would wreck the Porsche in the first corner, while driving the Gremlin all around the track without incident.

Latest posts