• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Glass Blown Open

the wind will be going for sure
The wind doesnt bother me and is expected. However, there's a few things that I am worried about and only a practice round can help:
-I normally play @ 5200' elevation or higher. Emporia is at 1150'. I have to account for this and probably go up in stability at least one step. Trial and error here.
-I'm arriving in Emporia on Thursday and will probably only have time for 1-2 practice rounds. Definitely not enough time to practice all 3 courses. Where and which courses do I focus my efforts.. Decent-good RHBH (320') and a decent RHFH (280'+) here..

I plan on playing Open, although I'm not signed up yet. Need to find some cash before the thing fills up.

When I don't have time to practice all courses prior to playing them, I do practice them in the order I'll be playing. This way you at least start the tournament with the best food forward and not totally blind and then get frustrated.

If I have time later, I then walk the next day's course if I can't play it. Even if there are players on the course, you can still be a one-man gallery.

I did this the first time I played GBO. I walked Muni (which isn't being used this year) and got some great advice from a player I was following that was more than willing to give me some pointers. Worse case scenario you get to see the course being played even if you can't play it.

When I don't have time to practice all courses prior to playing them, I do practice them in the order I'll be playing. This way you at least start the tournament with the best food forward and not totally blind and then get frustrated.

If I have time later, I then walk the next day's course if I can't play it. Even if there are players on the course, you can still be a one-man gallery.

I did this the first time I played GBO. I walked Muni (which isn't being used this year) and got some great advice from a player I was following that was more than willing to give me some pointers. Worse case scenario you get to see the course being played even if you can't play it.

Is it Ecc, jones east, PP this year?

Good advice, thanks! I think I will get to Emporia, play Country Club then walk Jones East. After my first round of the tourney I'll walk Peter Pan.

Good advice, thanks! I think I will get to Emporia, play Country Club then walk Jones East. After my first round of the tourney I'll walk Peter Pan.

I would play east. Ecc is largely self explanitory. Peter pan is as well, except one hole maybe

I wouldn't agree that the country club is self explanatory if you haven't played it. Lot of elevation changes for this area and it's going to be the hardest of the three for every division. Lot of OB and there are also changes coming to each course from the past years. Some extra teepads and many new pin locations are going to be going in this month at both Peter Pan and Jones East.

I would recommend playing the ECC course on thursday if you have time. Then walking or playing Jones east to at least get an idea of the positions and OB areas marked. Peter Pan you can play or walk in fairly short time so unless you play that course the first day you can probably check it out before you do. It will score the easiest even with the proposed changes which are already flagged and have been a few days.

Intermediate filled up the other day. Still room in advanced and open I'm sure but with intermediate being full those will fill up even quicker now because people are scrambling. There is still a possibility that if enough divisions get full another course will be added but I don't see that happening.

This tournament is a lot better without the Municipal Golf Course in the lineup. F that course.

I agree in many ways and only disagree in a few. It was pulled for a few reasons I believe but the main one was complaints about difficulty. Likely just that it's always windy out there with no wind blocks this time of year. A few other reasons but I don't want to say them here it doesn't help anyone. It's not being used and that is probably for the best. Peter Pan gives a much better chance to test your shots in a setting that is easier. With the proposed changes I think it's going to really be sweet.

I only disagree with it being pulled from the courses because it was another chance to use a golf course but the country club is actually welcoming of the disc golfers and likes having us there so I don't really mind. Even though the front nine out at the municipal was still open to golfers to play that week they complained a lot.

I'll try to monitor progress on the changes to the courses being made and snap a few pics when I can.

Despite the relationship that was building between the two sports, the course was gold awful except for the top 5% of pros that played it. At no time did it feel like you were able to play golf (in the disc golf sense). It was throw your max speed disc for your tee shot and often your second shot and hope the wind didn't blow you OB. It felt like a distance contest more than a round of golf and I have a fairly big arm too. If it wasn't so windy and the holes were a little shorter, it would probably be more fun. It was certainly not a course to throw 90% of the AMs and Intermediate on.

Despite the relationship that was building between the two sports, the course was gold awful except for the top 5% of pros that played it. At no time did it feel like you were able to play golf (in the disc golf sense). It was throw your max speed disc for your tee shot and often your second shot and hope the wind didn't blow you OB. It felt like a distance contest more than a round of golf and I have a fairly big arm too. If it wasn't so windy and the holes were a little shorter, it would probably be more fun. It was certainly not a course to throw 90% of the AMs and Intermediate on.

Definitely agree. It's relatively flat too, what undulation that exists is small hills in fairways of the golf course and not always used. The country club is a way better tract of land for it in a disc golf sense. I'm happy peter pan was added back to it. I play jones west a lot but it's my least favorite course in town. I'm glad it's only being used for the one round flex start. I love having three days and only one round each day. Gives you time to rest up and take part in the other activities. Fun tournament all around.

Is ECC going to be open to practice on Thursday? The schedule of events seems to say just Jones and PP... Not getting in until Wednesday afternoon and would be sad to not see the course.

Is ECC going to be open to practice on Thursday? The schedule of events seems to say just Jones and PP... Not getting in until Wednesday afternoon and would be sad to not see the course.

Wednesday and Thursday. Cut and paste from the events list.

WEDNESDAY - APRIL 30

9:00am - 4:00pm
Practice Rounds at Emporia Country Club

All Day
Jones Park and Peter Pan Park Open for Practice

THURSDAY - MAY 1

8:00am - 4:00pm
Check in at Granada Theatre

Practice Rounds at Emporia Country Club

All Day
Jones Park and Peter Pan Park Open for Practice

Putting Competition Prelims at Granada Theatre

10:00am - 5:00pm
Hot Stamping at Dynamic Distribution

10:00am - 4:00pm
Flex Start C-Tier at Jones West

1:00pm - 3:00pm
Meet owners of Latitude 64, Westside Discs, and Dynamic Discs at the Dynamic Discs Shop

7:00pm - 8:00pm
Question and answer with Pro panel at Granada Theatre

8:00pm
Player Meeting at Granada Theatre

FRIDAY - MAY 2

8:00am
Tee times start for 1st Round

9:00am - 3:00pm
Putting Competition Prelims at Granada Theatre

Check in at Dynamic Discs Shop

10:00am - 5:00pm
Hot Stamping at Dynamic Distribution

7:00pm - 10:00pm
Putting Competition Bracket Play at Granada Theatre

7:30pm
Poker Party sponsored by Farmers Insurance at Country Club

SATURDAY - MAY 3

Tee times start for 2nd Round

6:30pm
Block Party

7:00pm
Block Party Ring of Fire

8:00pm
Putting Finals outside Granada Theatre

SUNDAY - MAY 4

Tee times start for 3rd Round

All Day
Spectator Day at the Emporia Country Club

4:45pm
Distance Finals at Emporia Country Club

5:30pm
Awards Ceremony at Emporia Country Club Banquet Room

7:30pm
Dinner Party at Coach's

9:00am
Dynamic Discs Shop Opens on Monday

Def play ECC and Jones. PP is pretty self explanatory. ECC is a tournament killer if you don't play right. I loved it.

Latest posts