• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 Texas State Championships NT

MPO chase coverage please.

Last time we had FPO (Gentelman's Challenge) it was nonstop white knighting whenever anybody tried to criticize the level of play. Not worth the time or effort. If these nerds want to see marginally cute girls in tight shorts there are plenty of other places on the internet for that.

Not sure it matters anymore. The decision's been made since the women are on the course.

Definitely another windy day. More green (bogey or more) than red numbers on both the Masters and Women's lead cards so far. @PDGALive has reported a bunch of missed putts from inside 10-15 feet due to the wind. Should be an interesting finish.

I vote FPO so we can determine what the round, mini-sized container is in Paige's pocket.

Couple questions for anyone who has played this course with current OB or onlookers watching the action:
What are some of the strong points of this course? Should all the different divisions be playing the same layout? What makes this course enjoyable/interesting?

Couple questions for anyone who has played this course with current OB or onlookers watching the action:
What are some of the strong points of this course? Should all the different divisions be playing the same layout? What makes this course enjoyable/interesting?
IMO the mindf*** of this course is the interplay of subtle elevation and the effects of wind. You've gotta do calculus and disregard what looks like a great line in the first 3 dimensions. Gold is rough. The course's normal layout is deceptive about requiring smart golf... the Gold takes it to brutal levels. Don't forget it's a Houck course. Ever-present challenges. If there's an opportunity there, there's also two+ ways its mis-execution can punish you. Looking for those traps is basically the cheat sheet to his courses. And it usually means throwing more low and straight shots than DG heroes like to throw.

anyone want to bet plastic that Uli isnt even on the chase card after tomorrows round? Dude couldnt finish if his life depended on it, too busy buying and selling to noobs on fb

Uli is on the lead card. Get those discs lined up for Hammer.

IMO the mindf*** of this course is the interplay of subtle elevation and the effects of wind. And it usually means throwing more low and straight shots than DG heroes like to throw.

This was my first thought when watching the initial round coverage. Then seeing Jered Rohan?(Sp) throw those huge hyzers ob twice and another one in but a horrible shot put the icing on the cake. He would have saved ~3 throws just throwing a disc low and straight at the pin not trying to go way out over the OB or sky high letting the wind F with the flight.

^^ I thought the exact same thing. That seems to be his favorite shot, but it often fails to deliver.

^^ I thought the exact same thing. That seems to be his favorite shot, but it often fails to deliver.

if there isnt big wind i would say he is pretty right on with his flicks. he is good at bh and fh. more well rounded than a lot of players in the sense of his ability to throw bh and fh

Did Houck design the temporary OB lines being used? I don't remember seeing those when he ran the National Doubles there in the 90s.

if there isnt big wind i would say he is pretty right on with his flicks. he is good at bh and fh. more well rounded than a lot of players in the sense of his ability to throw bh and fh

True. Plus, you play to your strengths. McCabe played it safe on one of the holes by going basically going short, then approaching from there. He got the par, while others risked it and got birdie. But he obviously knew that he could have been in trouble, so the strategy was a sound one.

I appreciate Terry's style in his coverage. He is telling you how the players are scoring, but not putting up graphics after each hole. It makes you pay attention to the coverage, and listen to what he's saying.

It reminds me of watching baseball in the 80's and 90's. You had to pay attention to the game to know the score, count, and outs. Now it's all placed on the screen.

I also really enjoy that he is covering the baskets from behind. It gives a different perspective than what we are used to.

Keep up the great work, Terry!

I agree. Very much like what I liked about listening to McCabe's coverage of a recent tournament. They don't just narrate what is happening, they actually provide commentary. Drives me nuts to listen to a video and have the announcer only narrate what we just watched or read the scores off the screen to me:

Yes, I'm talking about you, Disc Golf Monthly:
"And he makes the putt."
"Jump putt!"
"And here are the scores..."

What's up with the FPO live scoring? The scores don't match up with the live tweets at all. Paige just deuced 14 but live scoring shows her taking a 3 and actually shows they are done with hole 16 by now. Also tweets mentioned the entire card took a penalty-free star par on 11 which was awesome, but live scoring shows 4s for everyone but Weese who supposedly carded a 5...

What's up with the FPO live scoring? The scores don't match up with the live tweets at all. Paige just deuced 14 but live scoring shows her taking a 3 and actually shows they are done with hole 16 by now. Also tweets mentioned the entire card took a penalty-free star par on 11 which was awesome, but live scoring shows 4s for everyone but Weese who supposedly carded a 5...

It's the numbering of the holes on the course. Instead of being numbered 1-21 on the course, there's a 10A, 13A, and 13B mixed in. So what they're describing as hole 11 is actually hole 12 on the live scoring (because hole 10A is shown as 11 on live scoring).

Confusing as all heck IMO. I get that the holes are numbered like that permanently, but would it hurt to renumber 1-21 for the tournament? It'd be easier to do that than it would be to change the numbering on the live scoring.

1-10 is 1-10
10A = 11
11 = 12
12 = 13
13 = 14
13A = 15
13B = 16
14 = 17
15 = 18
16 = 19
17 = 20
18 = 21