• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2014 United States Disc Golf Championship

Thanks! seems so easy... exactly the shot I pictured' He could have went even further out to the left and thrown higher/longer without a issue where all those backhands had very little landing area in comparison to the line they were traveling.

I think it's a pretty difficult shot if you aren't super comfortable throwing FHs...I would imagine guys like Wysocki and Big Jerm would take it all day.

But I haven't seen McBeth throw a lot of FH shots that aren't with that green destroyer/max (I can't remember which it is).

Additionally, he parked his Nova shot so it seems like he feels comfortable with the BH

They Schwebby proofed it?

They MJ proofed it. MJ used to throw a low thumber through the gap/ under the limbs of trees. Apparently, was seen as too easy to park the hole. The next year, there was a net placed up there. No real chance of a thumber since.

Throwing a forehand on 17 depends a lot on your choice of disc for a shot like that. It's a downhill 250 foot shot. If one's choice is a driver, that would make it a very touchy shot. Throw it too hard and it's in the water, throw it too lightly and it could go offline or be heavily impacted by the wind. And that's before taking into account that the grass is super short which can lead to big skips. Of course if 250 downhill is about the extent of your forehand hyzer range, it sets up perfect. I have to think all of these guys can forehand past 250 on a slight downhill, and they feel like they have better distance control backhanding a putter.

Just from watching the numerous videos of this hole over the years, I'm positive that I'd choose a FH with an overstable mid, if I ever get to play this someday.

With FH overstable, the green widens in the direction of the fade, so it definitely seems like the safer shot.

BH overstable would have the green narrowing in the direction of the fade, making it more tricky.

BH understable would have more difficulty controlling distance with the glide IMO. And I saw several BH turnover shots that looked great at first, then kept on gliding right off the green (McCray for instance).

The other piece to account for is the wind on #17. Typically a headwind. If your going RHFH/LHBH, you will need to throw a more stable disc than normal as it will really straighten out a stable disc. The reason you see the guys throw stable/slightly overtstable putters (KC Aviars, Challengers, etc) backhand is that the wind help them turn without having to put too much anny on it and then let the stability pull them back straight and stall and drop.

If I were in the perfomance flight, I'd layup every time. And if I had a 3 stroke lead, definitely laying up. But for me; it's always been casual rounds and unloading my midranges at the green (as a lefty).

Isn't sealing the deal, being aggressive? In other words, by going for it on 17, JohnE was not playing aggressively.

If you're playing to win...then win. No matter what.

Maybe I'm just seeing it wrong.

Isn't sealing the deal, being aggressive? In other words, by going for it on 17, JohnE was not playing aggressively.

Seems right to me. It's why people just run the ball while the clock winds down in the 4th quarter when they are ahead.

Edit: I was referring to football...(american)

On #17 I'd like to see a OS low glide disc like a Zone RHBH on an anny flex line. Anyone see this as a viable option?

Seems right to me. It's why people just run the ball while the clock winds down in the 4th quarter when they are ahead.

Edit: I was referring to football...(american)
Depends on how much of lead, how late in the 4th quarter, TO's left, and how much faith you have in your run game and defense vs their offense. If Andrew Luck is on the other side and I have Peyton Manning with a 3-7 point lead and I need a first down to seal the deal, I'd leave the ball in Manning's hands to throw over running with Monte Ball. Same thing the other way with trusting Luck over Richardson to seal the deal with Manning waiting on the other side to get the ball back.

On #17 I'd like to see a OS low glide disc like a Zone RHBH on an anny flex line. Anyone see this as a viable option?

That's a really tough shot to range. Not that you can't find the green that way, but it's a much more risky approach without any real added reward.

Johne has stated he plays every course aggressively, not the other players. That's his strength as a player since he has demonstrated the skills to deliver year after year, but a weakness in this particular match play situation. The Winthrop course is designed everywhere you turn to defeat aggressive play that is not sufficiently well executed.

Last edited:
In the 5 times I played it with ropes, I would always try a RHFH with a Whippet or similar first, then when/if that didn't work play the layup. Never ended up worse than a 5 and have never had a rating higher than 900.
I know BennettUA wouldn't agree tho, but he's a lefty so he doesn't count.

They had painted circles. So if Greenwell could see the circle, the 28-ft estimate should have been close.

Latest posts