• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Am Worlds - Madison, Wi

OOOH Watch this. As I skillfully tie two tangential strings of this glorious thread in one knot with one post. Here goes.

String One: The almost immediate filling of the Masters Plus Divisions during online registration.
String Two. Young Bucks need bucks to attend Worlds.

We all know that in order to go to this event as a MM1, MG1, and even MS1 you have to possess an alarm clock, speedy interwebz connection, a healthy supply of auto-populate personal info, and quickish fingers. I submit that it takes 2 more things:
* Discretionary Travel Funds
* Available time off from work.

Young amateur DGing bucks that don't work --- got no funds.
Young amateur DGing bucks that do work -- got precious little time off.

But, the Old Farts got plenty of both. The predictable growth of the Amateur Masters Plus golfers wanting to attend Worlds (and other significant tournaments) is on a meteoric rise. I only hope that TD's of all flavors will continue to make as much room as possible in the future for the folks that are willing to spend money in their town.

Side story. Just 9 years ago (2007) only 17 folk signed up for MG1(Advanced Grand Masters) at Bowling Green Ams. Flash Forward ------ This last year MG1 had a full pool and as I remember filled up super fast online.

Yep, the sport is getting older and its tournament playing, WillingToSpendMoney Old Farts are coming your way!!

PS. Many of the Old Farts that did not get in are my friends. If you have any money to donate --- go buy one of them a consolation burger and listen to their old DG stories. Money well spent.

Ron

Their parents. Which I'm sure is who is going to pay whatever they don't get donated.

Also, why does it cost $3000? They gonna fly here first class and stay in a Hilton or something?

I wondered about that as well. I can't figure out where they plan on staying, no hotel will rent a room to just 2 minor children, so that means a room spilt, or camping, which is cheaper.

Really just feels like a cash grab. Are they even on the registered list?

Their parents. Which I'm sure is who is going to pay whatever they don't get donated.

Also, why does it cost $3000? They gonna fly here first class and stay in a Hilton or something?

If someone else is doing all the work and paying all the bills, you don't have to camp in people's yards or eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for every meal. :hfive:

8 nights at the KOA in Madison is $250.00. Round trip bus tickets are about $300 each (gas for a car that gets 20 mpg is around $450.00 RT). The remaining $2000.00+ is for meals!

If someone else is doing all the work and paying all the bills, you don't have to camp in people's yards or eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for every meal. :hfive:

8 nights at the KOA in Madison is $250.00. Round trip bus tickets are about $300 each (gas for a car that gets 20 mpg is around $450.00 RT). The remaining $2000.00+ is for meals!

Steak and Lowenbrau. Dolan.

We should be there a few days early. When will we know which tees to practice at Bird's Ruins? Has this been decided? If so, can you tell us.

Those kids are at over $1,400 already. That's insane.

I think I am going to start a gofundme for every vacation I want to take. I'll just play some small C tier on the other side of the country and tell everyone to make it happen.

Those kids are at over $1,400 already. That's insane.

I think I am going to start a gofundme for every vacation I want to take. I'll just play some small C tier on the other side of the country and tell everyone to make it happen.

Someone donated a grand. No idea who but I want to know that person.

Friday, June 10 – Open Registration for all Amateur PDGA members for any division(s) they are eligible for. Waitlists for filled divisions are continued with any qualified amateur registrants.

Friday, July 1 – Registration closes, waitlists are closed.

Monday, July 4 – Player Pools are posted.

Friday, July 8 – Divisional Fields and Player Pools are Final. Any players still on the waitlist are refunded. Dropped spaces after this date will NOT be filled.

We should be there a few days early. When will we know which tees to practice at Bird's Ruins? Has this been decided? If so, can you tell us.

We're finalizing the tees at Bird's, mainly for the brand new holes. It will definitely be known before you get here "a few days early". A PDGA rep walked through all of the courses quite a while ago and helped make tee choices for the existing 18, but the new holes weren't really far enough along at that time. The main reason we are actually using one composite mix of tees rather than a short/long split is that there are a lot of blind tee shots at Bird's, especially from the long tees. We won't get rid of them all, but the use of short tees on some holes will mitigate the impact and hopefully be fairer to those who may play the course sight unseen or that only get one practice round in.

In the Am Worlds invitation letter it is stated, "Mad City Disc Golf has a simple mission which is to expand and enhance disc golf and other flying disc sports in Greater Madison." Any plans on having an Ultimate night on July 10th? The Madison Radicals are playing at home against the Indianapolis Alley Cats?

In the Am Worlds invitation letter it is stated, "Mad City Disc Golf has a simple mission which is to expand and enhance disc golf and other flying disc sports in Greater Madison." Any plans on having an Ultimate night on July 10th? The Madison Radicals are playing at home against the Indianapolis Alley Cats?

Maybe there are. :)

Last edited:
Maybe I missed it, but is there a website or Facebook page dedicated to this year's Worlds that's not the PDGA page? Looks like madcitydisc.org hasn't been updated since 2015. I enjoyed getting updates on FB from previous Worlds clubs, etc. Got me amped up...

Thanks.

Maybe I missed it, but is there a website or Facebook page dedicated to this year's Worlds that's not the PDGA page? Looks like madcitydisc.org hasn't been updated since 2015. I enjoyed getting updates on FB from previous Worlds clubs, etc. Got me amped up...

Thanks.

I can't find anything, and for only three weeks out there's not very much chatter.

Latest posts