• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Worlds Locations

I just spoke with the PDGA again because we are interested in 2017 Worlds. They are still working on the bid packets, which probably means big changes.

These would be my top 10 worlds locations in alphabetical order:

Allentown, PA
Ann Arbor, MI
Austin, TX
Charlotte, NC
Dallas, TX
Des Moines, IA
Kansas City, MO
Minneapolis, MN
Portland, OR
St. Louis, MO

I definitely think it is time that Dallas or Austin hosted one since neither of them ever have. I would also put Minneapolis/St. Paul and Allentown right at the top of the list for another pro worlds (excluding Charlotte and Portland since they have been so recent). For ams, I think that St. Louis would be a good location and I'm sure that they would love their crack at Portland some time in the near future as well.

I definitely hope it doesn't go to Augusta and the IDGC. I hope the format doesn't change drastically either. The special part about worlds is the rotation of locations combined with the entended format.

I would like to see the PDGA begin to operate a 3rd domestic major annually at the IDGC, though. Perhaps something similar to the Players Championship. I would do it a couple of weeks after the USDGC so real touring players could just make the 2 hour drive down and stay a while. Plus it's the perfect time of year.

These would be my top 10 worlds locations in alphabetical order:

Allentown, PA
Ann Arbor, MI
Austin, TX
Charlotte, NC
Dallas, TX
Des Moines, IA
Kansas City, MO
Minneapolis, MN
Portland, OR
St. Louis, MO

I definitely think it is time that Dallas or Austin hosted one since neither of them ever have. I would also put Minneapolis/St. Paul and Allentown right at the top of the list for another pro worlds (excluding Charlotte and Portland since they have been so recent). For ams, I think that St. Louis would be a good location and I'm sure that they would love their crack at Portland some time in the near future as well.

I definitely hope it doesn't go to Augusta and the IDGC. I hope the format doesn't change drastically either. The special part about worlds is the rotation of locations combined with the entended format.

I would like to see the PDGA begin to operate a 3rd domestic major annually at the IDGC, though. Perhaps something similar to the Players Championship. I would do it a couple of weeks after the USDGC so real touring players could just make the 2 hour drive down and stay a while. Plus it's the perfect time of year.

I like some of your ideas here. I mostly like the feel world's has right now. Too big of a change may not be good.

This was actually done in late September of 2011, but as a replacement for USDGC for the pros. It was called the PDGA Championships and it was played on all three of the IDGC courses. There was still a USDGC that year, but it was only the performance flight.

I believe the idea was to alternate the PDGA Championships and the USDGC each year, but I believe it was only held that one time.

The ratings based event at the annual Director's Cup may eventually emerge as a Major for all member skill levels and is currently three weeks after the USDGC.

The ratings based event at the annual Director's Cup may eventually emerge as a Major for all member skill levels and is currently three weeks after the USDGC.

If the PDGA runs an Event that hosts 35 people every year as a Major - I'll be more stunned than I already am at what they've done in the last 2 years....

Throughout this discussion no one has suggested a worlds outside the USA. Do you think this will happen in the next couple of years or is a Worlds really a glorified American tournament with a few other nationalities thrown in?

Throughout this discussion no one has suggested a worlds outside the USA. Do you think this will happen in the next couple of years or is a Worlds really a glorified American tournament with a few other nationalities thrown in?

I think Stockholm is close-- I would probably have them in the top 25 best locations. My opinion, though, is that 90% of disc golf pros are in the U.S. and there just really isn't the money in disc golf yet to be making international flights to play tournaments. I would guess that most of the top 10-20 players would go and all of the European pros would be there but there would probably only be 30-40 quality players. It would be a much different field than in the U.S. The depth of quality players would be lacking.

Would it be worth the PDGA to send worlds to Europe and expect the number of US players to be down but a much larger contingent from Europe. Would it be worth it for the PDGA have a slightly weaker field to help develop the players in Europe and give a greater # of players worlds experience?

The PDGA has not been holding back from sanctioning Worlds in Europe. No potential bidders from Europe have yet wanted to take it on despite encouragement from the PDGA.

The PDGA has not been holding back from sanctioning Worlds in Europe. No potential bidders from Europe have yet wanted to take it on despite encouragement from the PDGA.

Probably for the exact reasons everyone has stated...tough to put on an event designed to attract anywhere from 300 to 900 people and be reliant on about 90% of your potential attendees to have to fly in from overseas.

I'm sure there have been studies done, but I'd imagine that each year a good 50% of Worlds attendees are coming from somewhere within 4-5 hours driving distance of the location and still a higher percentage drive in regardless of the travel time rather than fly.

When you consider a lot of US players probably don't have passports and would have to get them to travel to a European hosted worlds, and a lot of them have to deal with time/monetary logistical issues to travel to a Worlds inside of their own country, I don't see this happening soon. In fact, I don't see a Canada hosted Worlds happening soon either.

I built a pretty accurate forecast model in 2005 or so that could estimate attendance at a Worlds in future U.S. locations. I could fire it up again but it's pretty much unnecessary now that Worlds is capping out at capacity in the U.S. Some proposed changes being considered for future Worlds formats will make it easier for more locations to potentially host a Worlds including International sites.

Last edited:
When you consider a lot of US players probably don't have passports and would have to get them to travel to a European hosted worlds, and a lot of them have to deal with time/monetary logistical issues to travel to a Worlds inside of their own country, I don't see this happening soon. In fact, I don't see a Canada hosted Worlds happening soon either.

I think a big event in Toronto would probably draw pretty well. It's easily within range of all of New England and a lot of the midwest, with plenty of lead time I don't think the passport issue is a very good excuse.

I think a big event in Toronto would probably draw pretty well. It's easily within range of all of New England and a lot of the midwest, with plenty of lead time I don't think the passport issue is a very good excuse.
With a large contingency of players in the upper Midwest/Northeast, Toronto probably would be the best candidate for an outside the US Worlds, somewhere in BC probably being second best.

But considering passports cost another $140/$165 on top of all the other ancillary expenses it costs to go to Worlds, and take at least a month to process, I think they're going to be a big sticking point with a lot of people, particularly if they know that other circumstances could cause them to have to back out.

I agree Toronto would be ideal for a foreign destination. Their best course (Toronto Island) would be an interesting location since everyone would need to take a walk-on ferry to get to the course. The event would probably be better in Southern Ontario (London/St.Thomas region) with more courses that are easier to get between.

Personally I'd love to see something in New England/Boston area, PA is a little out of the way for me.

Latest posts