• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2016 Worlds Locations

Any news on the am worlds location for 2016? Trying to decide if I'll need extra events to qualify or if I should just stick to the usual suspects. I looked around but no information yet that I can find.

None yet I'm aware of until PDGA finalizes what they want to do with possible format ideas still being discussed.

Seems kind of late considering that the 2015 season is now started which means qualifying is underway. Although, I doubt it will make too much difference since winter events are somewhat sparse and most people who are pretty serious about it qualify handily.

Not anybody's fault either really, that I know of anyway, as I'm sure if there was a great location with plenty of time, money, courses and volunteers, that had bid on it, we'd already have the location announced.

Just one of those things I guess.

Any news on the am worlds location for 2016? Trying to decide if I'll need extra events to qualify or if I should just stick to the usual suspects. I looked around but no information yet that I can find.

Augusta is definitely trying to land it. How far along that process they are and/or what the chances they get it, I have no idea. But I know they're shooting for it and putting a lot of work into the local courses with a 2016 worlds in mind.

Not anybody's fault either really, that I know of anyway, as I'm sure if there was a great location with plenty of time, money, courses and volunteers, that had bid on it, we'd already have the location announced.

They haven't put out the bid requirements for 2016 and beyond, so no one has even had a chance to put in a bid. Unless, of course, there are backroom negotiations going on. With how far behind schedule they are, that wouldn't surprise me.

Ah alright, now I understand. For whatever reason, I was under the impression that it went the other way around - bids are put in, and then the PDGA selects a venue based on fitting the criteria they're looking for.

bogeyfreetilinfinity, I wouldn't expect the qualifications criteria to change from one year to the next with no notice. So since this year has already started, I would imagine you'll want to get the same number of points you needed last year if you intend to go, particularly for divisions that fill up faster.

Definitely would be nice to know the location so people like me who will only travel <10 hours would know whether to bother collecting points, but it'll get announced when it gets announced I suppose.

bogeyfreetilinfinity, I wouldn't expect the qualifications criteria to change from one year to the next with no notice. So since this year has already started, I would imagine you'll want to get the same number of points you needed last year if you intend to go, particularly for divisions that fill up faster.

You mean like last year when they changed the requirement for this year in August? :thmbdown:

Isn't the PDGA supposed to be the governing body of disc golf? What the heck are they doing over there? Sounds like Washington up in this peice:doh:

Isn't the PDGA supposed to be the governing body of disc golf? What the heck are they doing over there? Sounds like Washington up in this peice:doh:

As a long time volunteer with disc golf and with some pretty big festivals I can honestly say you are asking a group who are mostly volunteers having to get a tonne of volunteer committees around the country to send in bids, reply back with the necessary details, then ask for re-confirmation, potential site visit if the groups/courses are not well known. Go back for more detail, especially with groups that are not well known to the PDGA make sure they are not just dreaming and can pull off these large complex events. Make sure they have the depth of volunteer base and confirm they can pull in enough officials.

After all of that I am sure there are other things I've forgotten. Patience, its 18 months away. They will eventually have an announcement.

I do agree, I'd love to know now and start planning to go. However I still need to figure out what I am doing in 2015...

I should also point out that most of the great mountain courses in CO are pretty far away from all the amenities needed for an event the magnitude of Worlds. I would like to see more pros out here competing in the mountain tournaments just to see them play those kinds of courses.

As a long time volunteer with disc golf and with some pretty big festivals I can honestly say you are asking a group who are mostly volunteers having to get a tonne of volunteer committees around the country to send in bids, reply back with the necessary details, then ask for re-confirmation, potential site visit if the groups/courses are not well known. Go back for more detail, especially with groups that are not well known to the PDGA make sure they are not just dreaming and can pull off these large complex events. Make sure they have the depth of volunteer base and confirm they can pull in enough officials.

After all of that I am sure there are other things I've forgotten. Patience, its 18 months away. They will eventually have an announcement.

I do agree, I'd love to know now and start planning to go. However I still need to figure out what I am doing in 2015...

You bring up a ton of excellent points. I just meant, as a player, I would like to know how many and what kind of events I would need to play in to be able to qualify and it would be nice to know this information before June. My suggestion would be to make a requirement to have all considerable bids in 1.5 years before the Worlds would take place. They would have to organize almost 2 years in advance, which would allow them 6 months to verify and finalize details, so that the following years Worlds, both Pro and/or Am, could be announced at the beginning of the season. I know it's probably a lot to ask for when it comes to volunteers and disc golfers in general, but it can be done.

The other solution would be to lower the qualifying points requirement needed
to be able to enter these tournaments and therefore, a player wouldn't have the need to play as many, with little notice of where the next Worlds will be. But in a nutshell, the PDGA would look at that as possibly losing profit, because less tournament points would be needed? There has to be a halfway point between these to ideations

The PDGA did drop ratings requirements a few years back and had so many more people qualifying and wanting to play that they are once again raising the requirements. They made that change for this year in the middle of the year and had a lot of complaints to deal with. I can only imagine requirements becoming more difficult to accomplish. The sport is just that popular now that it is required.

You mean like last year when they changed the requirement for this year in August? :thmbdown:

Did not realize that was the case. Guess nothing is safe about this year either then if that's the case.

Although the ideas presented above sound good in theory, I don't see it happening at the moment with the loose requirements of timing on both bids and hosting itself. Looks like we've got a ways to go before we get to that level of professionalism.

As for lowering the qualifying standards, they were just raised relatively recently to keep more of the lower level players from taking spots from higher level players, so I don't think they'll lower them.

Did not realize that was the case. Guess nothing is safe about this year either then if that's the case.

Although the ideas presented above sound good in theory, I don't see it happening at the moment with the loose requirements of timing on both bids and hosting itself. Looks like we've got a ways to go before we get to that level of professionalism.

As for lowering the qualifying standards, they were just raised relatively recently to keep more of the lower level players from taking spots from higher level players, so I don't think they'll lower them.

You may be right. This is essentially how Olympics and Super Bowls are chosen. In reference to your bottom comment...what If they tiered the entries? Higher rated players with high point totals get first crack until such and such date, then tier down from there, or something along those lines

Yeah. There's nothing more disappointing than watching Pro Worlds with the bottom 3 or 4 cards being Rec/Int rated players just 'in for the experience'.

Yeah. There's nothing more disappointing than watching Pro Worlds with the bottom 3 or 4 cards being Rec/Int rated players just 'in for the experience'.

You're watching the bottom 3-4 cards at Worlds?

Serious question...what difference does it really make who the guys on the bottom 3-4 cards are? No matter what the standards for qualifying are, the guys on the bottom 3-4 cards are always going to be the "in for the experience" guys. If they were contenders, they wouldn't be on the bottom cards in a 100+ player field.

You're watching the bottom 3-4 cards at Worlds?

Serious question...what difference does it really make who the guys on the bottom 3-4 cards are? No matter what the standards for qualifying are, the guys on the bottom 3-4 cards are always going to be the "in for the experience" guys. If they were contenders, they wouldn't be on the bottom cards in a 100+ player field.

Exactly. This is why they have AM Worlds.