• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Aussie Open DGWT Event Discussion

I will fully and honestly admit right now, I have never been so excited to watch a disc golf round in my life.

I should think 17 down on this course should beat Pauls record setting 17 down at Memorial. But the ratings disagree. (1132 vs Rickys 1102 unofficial) Chuck, wheres the beef??

edit. to underline it further, had Ricky birdied the two holes he took par on, assuming a 10-point per stroke gain in the rating, it still might be only close. cmon, 17 birdies and one eagle, does not beat 17 birdies?? what made Pauls round that much better? IIRC, the Memorial course is much more open.

Last edited:
Eagles putt was painful to watch...kid wanted it so bad. Could have watched the entire round live too. Spoke to Ricky before tee off...him and the group were super relaxed.

I should think 17 down on this course should beat Pauls record setting 17 down at Memorial. But the ratings disagree. (1132 vs Rickys 1102 unofficial) Chuck, wheres the beef??
Probably not enough highly rated players participating to surpass 1132.

edit. to underline it further, had Ricky birdied the two holes he took par on, assuming a 10-point per stroke gain in the rating, it still might be only close. cmon, 17 birdies and one eagle, does not beat 17 birdies?? what made Pauls round that much better? IIRC, the Memorial course is much more open.
"Estimated" par and ratings are not directly tied together. We never know for sure what the correct pars are on temporary championship layouts until enough championship level rounds are played to more accurately establish par and whether it might be "soft" on some holes to further beat Sexton's reference in the ground. In fact, the value of the ratings process is it does a better job of indicating what real par should be than "estimated" par indicating what the real ratings should be. And "no", having more highly rated players there would not significantly shift the unofficial ratings any more than the normal fluctuations we see for any pool of players that size from round to round. And separate from the par issue, this course appears to be in a higher SSA category than Fountain. So it's less likely the highest rated round will ever reach the level seen on courses in Fountain's SSA range.

Last edited:
Just for reference, assuming Ricky's round holds up around 1102, it would be third best ever in the 60-66 SSA course category, very similar to Barry's 49 on Maple Hill rated 1100. http://www.pdga.com/files/best_rounds_march_2016.pdf

It's interesting looking at that break out - In my mind I would have thought the -15 Mcbeth shot at Moraine would have been rated higher then the Aussie ratings today, based on the course alone. I think only Paul (2 times) and Will shot a 51 there? Would that have dictated why it did't get into the 1100's?

Watching round one....Avery commentary.....argh. :doh:

Lol! Has he pronounced Pasi's name correctly once? It's a never-ending string of Poss-ay this and Poss-ay that. Poor Pasi.

Jussi lectures us all about what makes a "professional" production but he keeps running out a completely amateur host. Classic.

Are the women playing from the same tees as Open? If so, Paige would be sitting in the top 10 of the open division right now.

Watching round one....Avery commentary.....argh. :doh:

I have to admit, I actually feel bad for Avery. Train wrecks are tough. He's actually gotten better. He basically needs to slow down. He doesn't want there to be dead air so he repeats the same idea in different ways when he only needs to say it once.

JT and either Jerm or Eagle would be great. Of course, Ian from CCDG would be the best. Dude is the GOAT of commentary.

Lol! Has he pronounced Pasi's name correctly once? It's a never-ending string of Poss-ay this and Poss-ay that. Poor Pasi.

Jussi lectures us all about what makes a "professional" production but he keeps running out a completely amateur host. Classic.

Maybe Pasi is in a posse?

Latest posts