• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Aussie Open DGWT Event Discussion

if you've ever heard nikko locastro do commentary you'd be surprised at how polished and informative he is as the color/analyst role in a two man booth.

Naming discs. Please do Jamie. You don't need to go on about it, but it tells a reasonably informed viewer a lot about the throw and conditions. We have expectations on disc flight based on structure and conditions. Knowing the disc helps us to participate more fully.

if you've ever heard nikko locastro do commentary you'd be surprised at how polished and informative he is as the color/analyst role in a two man booth.

Yes. PHP has some good stuff. However, as written above, keep away from self commentary. No one wants to hear Nikko, Ricky, Paul etc. discuss what they did wrong or right. That's the job of the play by play guy.

Possibly if the commentary was more like thoughts on what you're seeing, instead of narrating the video, it would seem less awkward. We can see what you're seeing, just offer your thoughts and insight.
I think this approach is EXACTLY why people enjoy CCDG's commentary so much. Feels like a bunch of (knowledgable) friends just shooting the **** while watching a disc golf round. The dialogue is organic and the cliche's (lets watch some disc golf, gotta want it, etc) are endearing and original in their context.

Some of the other commentators feel like they are trying to do their best 'budget-rate ESPN commentator' impression. Just one tired, unoriginal and ham-fisted sports cliche after another.

Just one tired, unoriginal and ham-fisted sports cliche after another.

I didn't write it but...

Ian isn't just casual, his knowledge along with his ability to extract knowledge from others, makes him highly effective. His commentary isn't about him, it's about the cohost and the course. Again, Terry has the same skill set.

I think this approach is EXACTLY why people enjoy CCDG's commentary so much. Feels like a bunch of (knowledgable) friends just shooting the **** while watching a disc golf round. The dialogue is organic and the cliche's (lets watch some disc golf, gotta want it, etc) are endearing and original in their context.

I think they do a good job and obviously don't need to change a thing because their fan base enjoys that type of format, but there is also a demographic that wants the "Jim Nantz" pro commentary approach, especially for the big events. Jamie came real close to this in past events. Terry is fast approaching this threshold in my opinion.

Kinda miss Paavo and PHP. Nikko is/was good as a commentator. Ian has grown on me. JT tries to be a pro, which is good. I liked Barsby, PM, and Wysocki on the Aussie.

TM seems to try to be too much of a bro as opposed to being an announcer.

We can see what you're seeing, just offer your thoughts and insight.

This^^^^^^^^^

Tell us something we CAN'T see!

Also Barsby's commentary was really good and he made some jokes but Avery was there to either ignore him or to leave him hanging. Very awkward.

Barsby was the best color comm by a WIDE margin. In fact, he should have been working by himself. The best Avery sounded was when he asked Barsby a question and then shut up and listened. If Spin & DGWT want to keep running him out there, they should first send Avery to an improv class or two.

If Spin & DGWT want to keep running him out there, they should first send Avery to an improv class or two.

This ^^^

Front side last round, half way through I had to shut the volume off. I couldn't pay attention to the shots, I just kept saying, "shut the **** up".

He's barely ok with a partner.

Loved the Aussie coverage from spin tv.

I put it up on the big screen and the wife said "hey, this is actually entertaining." Because she remembers what I used to have to watch.

Great job on the last round Jamie. Felt like you let the shot unfold vs. Avery trying to be sports center/Madden football announcer.

This is obviously just my .02 on the subject, but I think you're being a bit harsh.

As someone who has been harsh in the past, I would like to say kudos to TheSpinTV. We got to watch three rounds of Manabu Kajiyama, this guy was the epitome of smart consistent play. Not flashy and long but smooth with every throw.

Hopefully we will get to see more of him in the future.

Now that I think about it, in general it's probably best not to have a player comment on their own round unless you have something you're trying to show.

I've actually come to the same conclusion Lyle! It ends up with a slightly weird vibe. It can be overcome if that player has a good sense of humor or great personality. (Again Sexton comes to mind). In the future I'm going to lean away from having someone on the card for commentary. Unless everyone likes it and we're both wrong?

Ian's main sponsor is Innova, and those are the players and discs that get the most push on the videos-that should be obvious to anyone paying attention to such things. . His best and most popular videos, such as Battle of the Eras, would not have happened without the cooperation of the Innova crew. So it makes perfect sense that his sponsors products get the most mention.

I agree with your comments on Ian as a host. He has some unique qualities that really seem to resonate with the current disc golf audience. My original comment was in response to the following...

"Ian and Terry might've said what disc it was if they had known, as they're neutral observers in that way."

If Ian were working for a neutral network and he emphasized one companies products over another, I'd have a problem with it. But he's and independent contractor making business decisions-so I take it for what it is. It's not a criticism-just an observation.

Re this whole deal. I'm pretty sure these comments stem from disc naming during commentary right? I always thank our title sponsor regardless of who it is, so it shouldn't be that.

The reason one disc gets named over another in commentary has nothing to do with who's paying me, and all to do with what I know. The players I film the most, that are the most forthcoming with their disc selection, get the disc name love.

I happen to film Paul a lot, and he's smart so he tells me that info. If I hit him up on FB after he'll get back to me quickly, because he's smart and he gets it. Paul bombs disc --> Ian says what it is --> fans buy that disc. It's not rocket science, and yet SOOOO many pros just ignore our messages asking for that info. I'd like to see disc manufacturers mandate their players provide that info to the film crews. I always call out Ricky's discs when I know what they are, but I'm just not as familiar. Same for literally every pro. If I know what it is, I'll let you know. If you're left hanging, I probably was too.

RE the fun videos we shoot with Paul and the Innova gang. Paul actually deserves most of the credit for those, not Innova (from my point of view anyway), and that's not to say anything negative about Innova (they do SOO much for the sport), but just so you guys can appreciate Paul more. Battle of the Eras was his and Nate's idea. Same with Starter Pack Challenge. I may have come up with Champ vs Chumps, but it wouldn't exist without Paul and Nate. He just gets it, and nails what IT is. Underrated businessman right there.

Go read his post in the "Top Pros M/F: Total Compensation?" thread in General if you haven't. You'll get a peak into his thinking. It's interesting.

I think Jamie/Ian would be great.

:thmbup::thmbup::thmbup:

Looking forward to it Jamie!

:thmbup: Nikko is great, wish we could pin him down for some commentary...

Loved the Aussie coverage from spin tv.

I put it up on the big screen and the wife said "hey, this is actually entertaining." Because she remembers what I used to have to watch.

Haha! Your wife is your litmus test too? I 100% advocate for and use this method myself. :D

As someone who has been harsh in the past, I would like to say kudos to TheSpinTV. We got to watch three rounds of Manabu Kajiyama, this guy was the epitome of smart consistent play. Not flashy and long but smooth with every throw.

Hopefully we will get to see more of him in the future.

I really enjoyed watching him play. Obviously he doesn't get as many opportunities to compete against those guys since he hasn't (to my knowledge) toured here, and he definitely made the most of it.

I mean, dude's form is silky smooth.

Also, I'm very grateful for Jamie and crew putting these videos out, I probably would have a lot of critics too. I'm not saying I'm better or know more. I just want you guys (Spin TV) to know how I feel as a fan, from an honest perspective. Just wanted to throw that out there.

I've actually come to the same conclusion Lyle! It ends up with a slightly weird vibe. It can be overcome if that player has a good sense of humor or great personality. (Again Sexton comes to mind). In the future I'm going to lean away from having someone on the card for commentary. Unless everyone likes it and we're both wrong?

There is good and bad in it. For example: in the first round, Paul McBeth is on the card and you get a chance for him to be your co-commentator... that would be fine, because Paul can talk about the layout of the course viewers are seeing for the first time, strategies for attacking it, and so on. In the third round, viewers have likely figured that out.

Otherwise, as was mentioned earlier, some players don't want to talk about themselves, and some might not want to talk too much about particular opponents (good, bad, or indifferent), so maybe a non-card commentator is indicated there.

I happen to film Paul a lot, and he's smart so he tells me that info. If I hit him up on FB after he'll get back to me quickly, because he's smart and he gets it. Paul bombs disc --> Ian says what it is --> fans buy that disc. It's not rocket science, and yet SOOOO many pros just ignore our messages asking for that info. I'd like to see disc manufacturers mandate their players provide that info to the film crews. I always call out Ricky's discs when I know what they are, but I'm just not as familiar. Same for literally every pro. If I know what it is, I'll let you know. If you're left hanging, I probably was too.

Flip side of this: Nikko having a mixed bag and not wanting to talk about it, though otherwise he's a great commentator. Last year with Paige Pierce's battles with Prodigy, it was pretty clear she did not want to discuss what was in her bag. And some may just not want to discuss what they throw because they feel (for right or wrong) like they are giving info to competitors.

RE the fun videos we shoot with Paul and the Innova gang. Paul actually deserves most of the credit for those, not Innova (from my point of view anyway), and that's not to say anything negative about Innova (they do SOO much for the sport), but just so you guys can appreciate Paul more. Battle of the Eras was his and Nate's idea. Same with Starter Pack Challenge. I may have come up with Champ vs Chumps, but it wouldn't exist without Paul and Nate. He just gets it, and nails what IT is. Underrated businessman right there.

And we are grateful for all of this. And obviously Paul has fun with it... like that roller on the Top of the World hole at DeLaveaga in Champs v. Chumps. It's fun watching them have fun.

:thmbup: Nikko is great, wish we could pin him down for some commentary...

As I said above: yes, Nikko is a good commentator and I hope y'all can corral him for some commentary.

Stellar entertainment via Spin TV. Manabu rocks!

Thanks for making a dreary winter day more exciting.

Latest posts