• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Aussie Open DGWT Event Discussion

Spin tv is Straight up trolling the Spoiler Alert crowd again.

Or just sucks in general. Disc golf is really screwed when youtube gets on to any video makers built in ads. They dont like that If you actually get views and have to deal with the real **** vs wild west like normal dg crap. Many huge YT peeps were up in arms over this not sure if it has changed but good luck given thats how YT pays.

Last edited:
JT, your commentary was awkward at best and not very professionally polished or edited. Your delivery felt very off sync to the video, often times you were distracting by talking about the previous action over the current action, and there seemed to be some long silent spaces in between where you should have been talking. You got lost searching for some words, had some Shatneresque broken sentences, and some half baked cheesy thoughts.

Maybe 6th best round of her career but hot nonetheless. Her highest in the 60-66 SSA course category. http://www.pdga.com/files/best_rounds_march_2016.pdf

Thanks for the link - I was looking it up quickly and manually, obviously a less effective method.

the weird thing is.... when ricky was doing the commentary on back nine of round three he [ricky] never mentions the specific molds of his discs he throws... he just will say "i threw a fairway driver here" "yeah i threw a midrange.."

ricky even mentions the specific innova molds things like: "eagle threw a gator there, nice shot"

barsby on the other hand seemed to know what ricky, paul, eagle was throwing and specifically would mention things like: "yeah ricky probably threw his harp there" "i bet ricky threw his compass there" "looks like mcbeth went side arm with his destroyer"

i've noticed that ricky did that in commentary for spin TV in the past too, where he'll just vaguely say he threw a putter, or fairway driver, when it would've been a lot more informative (and sponsor friendly) if he would mention the specific discs: "I threw my harp, which is an overstable slow approach disc on sidearm there"

When was Ricky on with us in the past? Serious question because you're making me doubt myself...I don't think he's ever been on (and in fact in the back 9 commentary I mentioned this).

I also noticed Ricky not naming discs that he threw. I was surprised actually, it's never been our policy to ask pros to not name discs of other manufacturers (or anything of that sort honestly).

I'm also kinda irked at the Ian/shill comment tbh. That dude has busted his ass for free (or d*mn near it) for so many years on top of a full time job, husband, and dad duties...and now when he finally gets a chance to get paid to work he's called a shill with no proof of his supposed bias - purely because of the big brother Innova theory that floats around this site?

There's nobody in the entire history of dg media that's less likely to be a shill than Ian. On top of that, forging a business relationship with a company doesn't mean you're a shill, it means you're good at your job, because they want to promote their brand with the audience you've cultivated.

Thanks JTacoma03 for always bringing a civil tone to the forum. You seem real professional. Just wanted to say that.

Last edited:
Just saw the final round back nine. I feel bad for young Eagle. But he did blow it, no ill luck or bad breaks to blame, so sorry.

Looks like Paul McBeth was getting in rhythm in the final 9 holes, as well.

Jamie's commentary was good on the back nine video.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link - I was looking it up quickly and manually, obviously a less effective method.

When was Ricky on with us in the past? Serious question because you're making me doubt myself...I don't think he's ever been on (and in fact in the back 9 commentary I mentioned this).

I also noticed Ricky not naming discs that he threw. I was surprised actually, it's never been our policy to ask pros to not name discs of other manufacturers (or anything of that sort honestly).

I was mistaken, Ricky hasn't done a commentary for a round prior on spinTV.

Again it was weird though how he doesn't mention any specific [trilology] molds/discs that he threw, but did say something like "eagle threw a gator there, nice shot".

Was a missed opportunity in Ricky's part - I would've loved to know what he was throwing especially on those epic putter side arm shots!

it would be cool to have the spinTV guys do a some scouting/in depth research and know what the players on the card are throwing regardless of disc sponsor.

It seemed Dixon and the dynamic disc guys at the GBO videos knew most if not all the specific innova discs mcbeth and cam Todd were throwing. Especially that destroyer cam Todd kept on using off the tee.

That would be very informative and interesting, I noticed eagle throwing that blue 3rd run C PD a ton. Would've loved to know what specific prodigy discs Manabu was nailing those bullseye up shots with his smooth form.

Something like: "Manabu threw a D1 there, which is similar to a destroyer or PD2" would be very enlightening and add perspective/depth on what kind of shot was executed.

Loved the vids from the Aussie open. I wish every DG vid had this production value. Was edited wonderfully. I feel like 1hr is the perfect amount of time for a video of 1 round of DG. I loved that the pic on the YouTube Link didn't show a pic of the winner. That way it wasn't spoiled. Great call on watching the final round for the first time, so as not to have any spoilers in your commentary.

The commentary from Avery and the guy that did the last round was not great. Avery adds extra cheese to everything, like a news anchor. Last guy commentating seemed lost at times and struggled to find words . He also didn't have much insight, just reaction. Just my opinion. The players commentary seemed good. Maybe a little bland but good.

Overall... A-

Last edited:
I'm not going to be too critical because obviously the goal was to get something out as quick as possible rather than focus on perfect commentary. With that said, job well done. Thank you for making the final round available so quickly.

I was mistaken, Ricky hasn't done a commentary for a round prior on spinTV.

Again it was weird though how he doesn't mention any specific [trilology] molds/discs that he threw, but did say something like "eagle threw a gator there, nice shot".

Was a missed opportunity in Ricky's part - I would've loved to know what he was throwing especially on those epic putter side arm shots!

it would be cool to have the spinTV guys do a some scouting/in depth research and know what the players on the card are throwing regardless of disc sponsor.

It seemed Dixon and the dynamic disc guys at the GBO videos knew most if not all the specific innova discs mcbeth and cam Todd were throwing. Especially that destroyer cam Todd kept on using off the tee.

That would be very informative and interesting, I noticed eagle throwing that blue 3rd run C PD a ton. Would've loved to know what specific prodigy discs Manabu was nailing those bullseye up shots with his smooth form.

Something like: "Manabu threw a D1 there, which is similar to a destroyer or PD2" would be very enlightening and add perspective/depth on what kind of shot was executed.

*phew* I'm not crazy...well jury is still out on that one, but my memory serves at least 😅😅

I'm on the fence about getting into disc names too in-depth in the commentary, I get it, but it could potentially cause more problems than it would solve. We experimented with some graphics, but I think we could do more in that realm eventually...things to ponder, thanks!

I would love to see a simplified hole graphic below the hole #, par, meters to help in visualizing the shot. Even with the drone flyover, you can sometimes get lost about what shot they are going for. Also elevation change would be great if it was measured (an educated estimate works just as well).

Rickys flick putter should be a Harp. The stable midrange an Anchor. I know (assume) this only from watching videos and following chatter, I am not a Lta64 fanatic. (i.e. if I know this, it should not be impossible for a caster to know it. however, its all just icing on a perfectly good cake)

I would love to see a simplified hole graphic below the hole #, par, meters to help in visualizing the shot. Even with the drone flyover, you can sometimes get lost about what shot they are going for. Also elevation change would be great if it was measured (an educated estimate works just as well).

Rickys flick putter should be a Harp. The stable midrange an Anchor. I know (assume) this only from watching videos and following chatter, I am not a Lta64 fanatic. (i.e. if I know this, it should not be impossible for a caster to know it. however, its all just icing on a perfectly good cake)

Mega bonus points if someone could superimpose the drone flight path over the hole graphic too.

Jamie: if youre taking constructive criticism, I think disc golf tournament videos always work best with two people doing voice-over; one play by play/analysis and one color. Logistically this may be impossible...I obviously have no clue about the behind-the-scenes goings-ons at SpinTv...but it always makes the videos more enjoyable especially when the duo have clearly defined roles.

I, for one, enjoy Avery Jenkin's as a play by play guy as long as he has a co-host. Him and Barsby got a little messy at times but there is big potential there as well. He and Ricky did well but Ricky just needs more time behind the mic. He is clearly intelligent and well-spoken; just aounds frequently nervous or out-of-place.

SpinTV is doing a great job. I used to spend all my free time making videos before the mutlitudes of "haters" just made me realize it wasn't worth it. Luckily you keep chugging on...keep it up as SpinTVs videos get a little better each time!

JT, your commentary was awkward at best and not very professionally polished or edited. Your delivery felt very off sync to the video, often times you were distracting by talking about the previous action over the current action, and there seemed to be some long silent spaces in between where you should have been talking. You got lost searching for some words, had some Shatneresque broken sentences, and some half baked cheesy thoughts.

I think I heard quite a few cell phone alerts sneak in in the background too. Definitely not ready for this one.

I think Jamie/Ian would be great.

Agreed.

The commentary for all 4 rounds was good enough. Clearly, the players were in the midst of a major and had *something* on their minds besides commentating a round they had just completed. Jamie had the unenviable task of filling dead air solo for the final round, and I thought his effort was commendable. Trying to get videos out quickly enough to satisfy the ADHD masses while not completely sacrificing quality must be a tall order. I enjoyed what SpinTV gave us. :thmbup:

Possibly if the commentary was more like thoughts on what you're seeing, instead of narrating the video, it would seem less awkward. We can see what you're seeing, just offer your thoughts and insight. Also Barsby's commentary was really good and he made some jokes but Avery was there to either ignore him or to leave him hanging. Very awkward.

Latest posts