• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Aussie Open DGWT Event Discussion

I just luv par talk

It's unfortunate, this event was absolutely an epic battle between two disc golf heavyweights who played their hearts out. It all came down to the last hole. Whether it was called a par 2, 3, or 10 didn't matter, Ricky got a 2 and Eagle got a 4 so Ricky won by one "stroke". It's going to be remembered for the extraordinary play by those two players in brutal conditions throughout the event. Even though there was no live video feed, I'm glad I stayed up until 1:30 in the morning bouncing from DGWT live scoring, PDGA live scoring, DGWT Instagram video clips, and this thread -- it was surreal, and I'm sure the few others who posted here that night would agree.

The things that impacted play had nothing to do with par designations -- brutal heat, concrete hard fairways, rain, OB, and nerves did. Kudos to everyone involved in this year's Aussie Open, it was spectacular!

If Ricky throws several mids, and he's not focusing, he might not know what he threw.

Really? I can recall rounds months back and tell you what I threw and what happened. Talking to a lot of other amateur players, many of them say the same. A pro would not?? Less than 24h after the round. Cmon. If not by recollection, he should at least be familiar with his bag and be able to conjure from the color and flight path what it was, or if not sure, then at least say "actually not sure, but I think it must be my ----". "A fairway" is just one step away from "A disc."

Have you played that course with ropes in? No, then stfu

So who is this obscenity (masked by an acronym) laden insult meant for? Next time use the quote feature, and think twice before posting if you've been drinking -- it's a good way to get banned.

Really? I can recall rounds months back and tell you what I threw and what happened. Talking to a lot of other amateur players, many of them say the same. A pro would not?? Less than 24h after the round. Cmon. If not by recollection, he should at least be familiar with his bag and be able to conjure from the color and flight path what it was, or if not sure, then at least say "actually not sure, but I think it must be my ----". "A fairway" is just one step away from "A disc."

I agree: Ricky likely knew what disc he threw, especially based on color of the disc and the flight. So there must be a reason he didn't name the discs.

One possible reason is that he didn't think about it as he concentrated on giving good commentary. He's not familiar with doing commentary, he's trying to do a good job, and maybe concentrating on what happened in the tournament and not realizing people want to know what disc he used. Also, in the heat of commenting, he might've had a brain freeze and is thinking "What disc DID I use there?" if there'd been two choices. So he just says "midrange" and lets it go.

Another possible reason is that he was using prototype discs that aren't on the market yet, and he didn't know if he should mention the names. That would not apply to every disc in his bag, of course, but it's just a thought.

Another reason is that he didn't want people to know what he was throwing while the tournament was going on. As one example: His sig disc is a Compass, and he might've been using an Anchor, and he's worried people will say "Why didn't he use his sig disc there? Is something wrong with it?" I'm not saying he's right to think that way, especially about not wanting others to know his bag... only saying these lines are what he might've been thinking at the time.

I'll bet he does better next time he is the guest commentator.

That's great for you. I can't. What's more, my post was a little more nuanced than, maybe Ricky can't remember his discs. The major point being a successful host plans for such things or helps his guest out. The judgement isn't Ricky can or can't remember his discs, it's whether a host prepares for the success of his broadcast or not.

I agree: Ricky likely knew what disc he threw, especially based on color of the disc and the flight. So there must be a reason he didn't name the discs.

One possible reason is that he didn't think about it as he concentrated on giving good commentary. He's not familiar with doing commentary, he's trying to do a good job, and maybe concentrating on what happened in the tournament and not realizing people want to know what disc he used. Also, in the heat of commenting, he might've had a brain freeze and is thinking "What disc DID I use there?" if there'd been two choices. So he just says "midrange" and lets it go.

Another possible reason is that he was using prototype discs that aren't on the market yet, and he didn't know if he should mention the names. That would not apply to every disc in his bag, of course, but it's just a thought.

Another reason is that he didn't want people to know what he was throwing while the tournament was going on. As one example: His sig disc is a Compass, and he might've been using an Anchor, and he's worried people will say "Why didn't he use his sig disc there? Is something wrong with it?" I'm not saying he's right to think that way, especially about not wanting others to know his bag... only saying these lines are what he might've been thinking at the time.

I'll bet he does better next time he is the guest commentator.

I think SD is close. Ricky isn't a public speaker, but clearly he's working on it. I admire that. I suspect that under the conditions where he's thinking about how he's speaking, timing and pace , and getting it right, that the exact disc he used was low on the pecking order. Given the effort he's putting in I'm guessing he will do better next time.

Par. I'm going to disagree with posters who say par isn't important, and par 2 vs par 3 isn't important. If those things weren't important as measures of skill and difficulty, we wouldn't use them. Nor would we go the other way so voratiously. "How can they call that par 3! It's clearly par4!" Players clearly care about that one because it raises their score - darn it. They accept a par 2 hole slated as par 3 cause it, all together, lowers their score. For those who are going to come back with nah ah; you're not listening in your tournament play or at least, you're not on the same cards I'm on. It's one of the most common comments I hear. "No way is this par 3, it's par 4!". People accept par 3 rounds, but they also comment on it.

If this doesn't matter, than we should just make it easy, everything is par 3, everything.

I think SD is close. Ricky isn't a public speaker, but clearly he's working on it. I admire that. I suspect that under the conditions where he's thinking about how he's speaking, timing and pace , and getting it right, that the exact disc he used was low on the pecking order. Given the effort he's putting in I'm guessing he will do better next time.

I think you're right with this. And he's definitely improving. It's not malicious towards his sponsor that he didn't say the molds, I think it's just a doing commentary while thinking about the round and trying to be good at speaking sort of thing getting in the way. While I agree with you that talking over things before an interview is very important, this is something that pro's should really make a point of focusing on, especially when their name is on sig discs that they throw.

Basically, he played really well and being a BH/FH player (with significantly less power than Ricky...) I want to know what some of those shots were next time!

FWIW I'll remember for a long time what I threw on what hole, and often what a lot of people I'm playing with threw on drives during the round. Of course everyone is different in how they play/think the game and not everyone focuses on other players during their round.

Everyone seems to think we need to change everything else to get scores to par. We don't. We just need to honestly apply the actual, current, official definition.

Whatever the course is like, there is a correct level of par: "As determined by the Director, the score an expert disc golfer would be expected to make on a given hole with errorless play under ordinary weather conditions, allowing two throws from close range to hole out."

Subtract penalties and other errors from an Expert's score, and an even par round should be rated pretty high, not 977.

Even more basic: as a way of keeping track of performance, it's less complicated if a birdie fully offsets a bogey. For that to happen even par has to be among the scores that pay out.

That's where par needs to be, no matter how hard or easy or open or wooded the course, and no matter how small the baskets.

And that's enough about the theory of par for this thread.

I really dont understand how people can debate you on this. Gimmie birdies/eagles need to disapear in DG as putting is not nearly the same as traditional golf.

Even lower level course pars often seem way off and those truly dont matter but it is like wtf?

Everyone seems to think we need to change everything else to get scores to par. We don't. We just need to honestly apply the actual, current, official definition.

Whatever the course is like, there is a correct level of par: "As determined by the Director, the score an expert disc golfer would be expected to make on a given hole with errorless play under ordinary weather conditions, allowing two throws from close range to hole out."

Subtract penalties and other errors from an Expert's score, and an even par round should be rated pretty high, not 977.

Even more basic: as a way of keeping track of performance, it's less complicated if a birdie fully offsets a bogey. For that to happen even par has to be among the scores that pay out.

That's where par needs to be, no matter how hard or easy or open or wooded the course, and no matter how small the baskets.

And that's enough about the theory of par for this thread.

That said, if you follow the rules, you're gonna get par 2 holes. And I suspect peer pressure means par 2 holes would get modified post haste.

Without reading through this entire thread, there were Big Jerm sightings Down Under, JT even made a comment about him in the final round coverage (when they made the same call lol). Seems odd that he'd travel to Australia, but not play. How come Jerm wasn't playing in the event?

Latest posts