• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] 2017 Discraft Ace Race

It should really be a disc like the AVIAR3, ATOM, A4, or something along those lines. A tweener speed 4 that's straight with a little fade.

It should really be a disc like the AVIAR3, ATOM, A4, or something along those lines. A tweener speed 4 that's straight with a little fade.
I always found the ESP Challengers to fit that slot, but you mean something between that and a Zone? Both go as far as most 4 speed mids IMHO

Last edited:
I always found the ESP Challengers to fit that slot, but you mean something between that and a Zone? Both go as far as most 4 speed mids IMHO

Yeah and you can play a whole round with just a Buzzz so why make ANY other discs.........:\

Every company has their speed 4 discs that seem to be very popular. I really like them personally. I don't see Discraft having that in their line-up other than the ZONE. and guess what the ZONE IS EXTREMELY POPULAR. So if their SMART. MAke a Zone-like disc that is straighter overall.

yeah an esp challenger can work here....but have you ever used an MVP Proton Atom? Try one......then tell me they can work the same. :p;););)

I doubt it's anything OS. imo they'll stay with the neutral/US, beginner-friendly stuff. maybe a straighter Zombee?
idk, I got nothing. just looking forward to it. always a great time.

2ed5mr9.jpg

Looks like a fairway driver to me. Description of point & shoint for lower power arms leads me to believe it's US to neutral in stability. Also, Discraft was founded in 1979.

Last edited:
Could be slower, more like a Leo...
Only one way to know for sure.

I was thinking more like a potential XL replacement. Maybe an XL SS type disc?
Isn't that an XS? Are they getting rid of the Cyclone/XL/XS/Xpress? That would open up a huge stable to understable hole between the tweener Zombee/Archer speed discs and the Heat that they could shove Ace Race discs into for years.

Isn't that an XS? Are they getting rid of the Cyclone/XL/XS/Xpress? That would open up a huge stable to understable hole between the tweener Zombee/Archer speed discs and the Heat that they could shove Ace Race discs into for years.
The XL is OOP. I think the other three are as well. So I am guessing it will be slower then the Heat and will either replace the XL or Xpress.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I thought the XL was going to be like the Cyclone where they still made it in one plastic, so it was essentially discontinued but not officially discontinued? I've been wrong before, so that's no shock.

Dumb question since I don't throw a Mantis: Does the Mantis already replace the XL?

Just thinking out loud...I love the old discs, but a lot of how they fly is "flip a little/glide out/hard fade back." That was the thing with TeeBirds back in the day, you could beat the fade out of a DX TeeBird quickly and it didn't have that early flip but still had the glide so they were basically straight fliers. No other drivers did that really, they all depended on some sort of turn or fade to do what they did well.

Now I hear a lot about overmolds and vTech and what not in discs I don't throw that are supposed to straighten the flights out so in theory you don't have as much of that S-curve. I'm assuming the technology and design of discs are catching up to that issue. What Discraft might be doing is creating a disc to replace the XS that is (in there words) more "point and shoot" than "watch it flip over there and then dump back over here." A Z XS actually has a bunch of fade for what is supposed to be an understable driver.

I dunno what they've OOP'd any more, and think their website makes it difficult to see what molds they still make and in what plastics.

As for Mantis / XL comparison: The production Z Mantis's are pretty comparable to the XL. I specifically stress "production," because anyone who's thrown both, the 2014 AR Ti's and production Z versions of the Mantis will confirm the very noticeable difference in stability... the AR discs are much more OS than their production counterparts.

When I mentioned the difference to member of the Discraft crew while spotting for USADGC that year, he told me they'd tweaked the mold a bit because the feedback from that year's AR "wasn't what we were looking for"... they didn't intend for them to be that OS.

I can also say that XL's and XS's truly seemed to fill different bag slots if you had them in Z or X plastic. They even printed different stability #'s on Z's and X's for those molds.

Last edited:

Latest posts