• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2018 PDGA Am Worlds--CHARLOTTE

wonder with the abundance of courses if worlds will include a larger then normal field.
No Junior divisions. Consider how difficult it will be to increase the number of Advanced (MA1) pools past 4 and be able to do a shuffle. We figured out a way to get to 6 pools for MN Worlds but it wasn't used.

wonder with the abundance of courses if worlds will include a larger then normal field.

Or a smaller field (than 2012) leading to a lot of griping about which of the abundant courses aren't used.

Because one thing you know about Charlotte. Everyone there has different list of "best courses" in the city, and it seems like 93 courses each have advocates for why they should be included.

More pools is great if it can be done but just make sure you have plenty of courses to accommodate the number of players.

The suggestion I would make would be to have it so everyone in the same division is playing at the same time. Different courses of course, but at least under the same weather conditions and with the same break time between rounds.

Take for instance a day where A pool and B pool, both MA1, have only one round that day. It sucks to have A pool play in the morning and the wind is at 5-10 mph and then in the afternoon B pool plays the same course and wind is 17-22 mph.

More pools is great if it can be done but just make sure you have plenty of courses to accommodate the number of players.

The suggestion I would make would be to have it so everyone in the same division is playing at the same time. Different courses of course, but at least under the same weather conditions and with the same break time between rounds.

Take for instance a day where A pool and B pool, both MA1, have only one round that day. It sucks to have A pool play in the morning and the wind is at 5-10 mph and then in the afternoon B pool plays the same course and wind is 17-22 mph.
That's reality with multiple pools. The same thing would happen if A & B played the same course using tee times.

I'm just saying having them play different courses at the same time would be preferable to having them play the same course at different times of the day.

I'm just saying having them play different courses at the same time would be preferable to having them play the same course at different times of the day.
I know what you're saying. But once you think thru how the schedules have to work in these big events, those two pools have to play the same course on their one round day, especially when there are also C & D pools in the same division.

I guess if you are tied to that kind of schedule, then sure.

Off the top of my head, why wouldn't you have those four pools play four courses in the first two days? Everyone would be playing at the same time and all of the same courses could be played. MA1 players could do that, or at least the best amateur disc golfers in the world should be able to do that. I am 38 and I know I certainly could.

I guess if you are tied to that kind of schedule, then sure.

Off the top of my head, why wouldn't you have those four pools play four courses in the first two days? Everyone would be playing at the same time and all of the same courses could be played. MA1 players could do that, or at least the best amateur disc golfers in the world should be able to do that. I am 38 and I know I certainly could.

I just realized that you could even just use two courses for those first two days, four pools playing twice a day.

The fact is with that large amount of competitors mother nature most likely will not allow them all to have similar conditions on the same courses no matter how perfectly you organize, schedule and prepare.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

The fact is with that large amount of competitors mother nature most likely will not allow them all to have similar conditions on the same courses no matter how perfectly you organize, schedule and prepare.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

I completely agree, but there are ways to make it more fair than what has been done in the past.

I completely agree, but there are ways to make it more fair than what has been done in the past.
Your earlier suggestions of making sure everyone has to play in the same conditions is a good idea. Except that would really only work if the all courses used for that pool were close to the same design.

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

Probably use 12-14 courses simultaneously (similar to the 2012 Worlds Charlotte hosted, where there were 1100 total players); way too early to even think about pool assignments. Goal then was to allow each round to be completed in about 3-1/2 hours--it still was almost an endurance competition over 4+days with plenty of evening activities.

Your earlier suggestions of making sure everyone has to play in the same conditions is a good idea. Except that would really only work if the all courses used for that pool were close to the same design.

Sent from my Alcatel_6055U using Tapatalk

I understand that adverse conditions affect different courses differently, and that part could cause some unfairness. However, that unfairness is much less in my opinion that my earlier example of two pools playing the same course at different times and potentially very different conditions.

Everyone can still play the same courses the same amount of times, even before the shuffle, and be playing at the same time. That seems like the most fair way to do it.

I understand that adverse conditions affect different courses differently, and that part could cause some unfairness. However, that unfairness is much less in my opinion that my earlier example of two pools playing the same course at different times and potentially very different conditions.

Everyone can still play the same courses the same amount of times, even before the shuffle, and be playing at the same time. That seems like the most fair way to do it.

Detail out a full schedule, maybe you're on to something.