• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

He's going to Discraft. MTL would've tried to make a wager on it, but he was already chastised once.

I know, I should have made a wager after he said he doesn't ever go on DGCR. but it's his announcement to make so let's cheer him on once it's official.

Just because an improper term is used (insert any racist term), doesn't mean people should keep using it. I'm not saying am scam is a racist term, I'm saying using improper terms because that was always used in the past is similar to an older adult calling African-Americans 'colored' because that's what the grew up with in the 40's.

Haha, you mean like someone calling black people "African-Americans" because that's the term you grew up with in the 90's? :D Sorry, I totally agree with your point, but I couldn't resist. "African-American" makes a big assumption about someone's heritage which often isn't true. I think just plain "black" is considered the more inclusive and culturally sensitive term these days.

Smells like hater.

To be fair, I think you are just ribbing me.

I don't hate how well Drew can throw, I think he has a ton of talent and skill. What I hate is blaming things other than yourself for not achieving your best. If you suck at or even just are not the best at something, it is probably just you and not outside influences.

I personally am only ok at disc golf. I could probably be better if I was willing to put in more time to get better, but I would still lack the overall talent to ever be any more than 950 even if I was super motivated. But I am ok with being mediocre and just having fun. It would never be the discs or plastic that they are made of that would hold me back. I try to always take ownership for my shortcomings and don't try to blame someone or something else to make myself feel better.

I also don't have the best job in my field. It is not because I got passed over by less talented undeserving individuals, it is that I am not as ambitious and also not as talented/knowledgeable as those other people. I am ok with that. All of this is on me, not outside variables.

Last edited:
Please, that was a dumb excuse for Drew, it would be a terrible reason not to accept a great offer if made for anyone. If a Stiletto and XXX are not stable enough for you, you are doing it wrong. It never seemed to hold Ricky back.

Smells like hater.

Does it? Seems objective to me. Gibson bagged Destroyers and Firebirds this year, not Apes and Monsters. And the Teebird and Leopard3 aren't the beefier equivalent of his Culverin and Convict (I think those were his main fairways.)

Find a new term.

Just because an improper term is used (insert any racist term), doesn't mean people should keep using it. I'm not saying am scam is a racist term, I'm saying using improper terms because that was always used in the past is similar to an older adult calling African-Americans 'colored' because that's what the grew up with in the 40's.

Am scam is a term referring to TDs taking Amateur entry fees to pay for Pro payout purses.
Nextgen is not doing that.

Use a new term.

How about "NextScam"?

To be fair, I think you are just ribbing me.

I don't hate how well Drew can throw, I think he has a ton of talent and skill. What I hate is blaming things other than yourself for not achieving your best. If you suck at or even just are not the best at something, it is probably just you and not outside influences.

Yeah but are you judging him on things he said publicly? Or things he said to his friends or in non-public circles that got repeated?

I don't remember specifically, but I thought the "not overstable enough" comment was something leaked. It was definitely not part of his official statement.

FWIW, he's not the only person to have left the Lat64 brand family in recent years citing that same reason to friends/confidants.

Yeah but are you judging him on things he said publicly? Or things he said to his friends or in non-public circles that got repeated?

I don't remember specifically, but I thought the "not overstable enough" comment was something leaked. It was definitely not part of his official statement.

FWIW, he's not the only person to have left the Lat64 brand family in recent years citing that same reason to friends/confidants.

I don't doubt that Drew said something along those lines. And if you are used to throwing a specific disc, and you can't find what you want near it... I can understand. Maybe he couldn't find something close to the Destroyer that he loved. But "not stable enough" is a dumb thing to say. Because DD does have some wicked overstable stuff. Drew probably just couldn't find what he LIKED. And that is fine, it is why we have 60+ disc manufacturers these days.

I don't doubt that Drew said something along those lines. And if you are used to throwing a specific disc, and you can't find what you want near it... I can understand. Maybe he couldn't find something close to the Destroyer that he loved. But "not stable enough" is a dumb thing to say. Because DD does have some wicked overstable stuff. Drew probably just couldn't find what he LIKED. And that is fine, it is why we have 60+ disc manufacturers these days.

Well that's my point - if you just take the naked words out of context you get a totally different meaning

He could have been saying, "Not overstable enough for the way I like to throw" for all we know.

Like I said, I don't remember the exact circumstances, I just remember hearing the same info. We're out on a limb here a bit because of that - but it's just stupid to continually roast a dude over his own reasons for taking control of his own career. They're his reasons, and unless they cause harm to other people, I really don't see the merit in dragging them.

I just noticed this and found it interesting that the ratio of replies to reads on this thread is very close to 1/100.

And that's a lot of reads!

Completely.
Well that's my point - if you just take the naked words out of context you get a totally different meaning

He could have been saying, "Not overstable enough for the way I like to throw" for all we know.

Like I said, I don't remember the exact circumstances, I just remember hearing the same info. We're out on a limb here a bit because of that - but it's just stupid to continually roast a dude over his own reasons for taking control of his own career. They're his reasons, and unless they cause harm to other people, I really don't see the merit in dragging them.

The destroyer isn't as overstable as once thought with the addition of more overstable discs these days.

So regardless, that excuse was chicken ****, and actually a lie. It's a douchey move and THATS what people don't like

I think the Enforcer, Stiletto, War Horse are all plenty stable... but what do I know I'm just a forehanding torque monkey.

I think any player has a right to change sponsors for just about any reason. And it is perfectly reasonable that someone took a big offer and just did not click with the discs. As unsponsored players, we have nothing keeping us from dropping any disc we don't like for any other. And maybe I will be wrong, but the best players will adapt to their tools, whereas not quite greats will only be able to perform with just the right tools.

I don't hate any players unless they treat other people poorly. But it certainly makes me not care for someone when they don't accept responsibility for their own shortcomings. If they make comments that were intended to be private and they leak, that is one thing, I don't really fault them for that, and should not hold it against them. But if they do so publicly, that is silly and should be treated as such. In the case we have been discussing, I am not sure if initial comments were public or private and I have said my piece and will return to food related comments in this thread.

Oh boy, this again! Lol.

I thought it was part of his official statement. It was part of a long Facebook post that included another gem along the lines of not really fitting in with the other DD/Trilogy guys. But he definitely intended the post to be a diplomatic, grateful farewell to his old sponsor. He just dropped those two little nuggets in there that completely undermined his entire statement.

The exact quote was... "The DD discs didn't quite jive with what I needed/would like to see for my power".
Yep. Just ambiguous enough for us to argue over on DGCR, lol.
I think the Enforcer, Stiletto, War Horse are all plenty stable... but what do I know I'm just a forehanding torque monkey.

In Drew's defense, I know the War Horse wasn't out then and I'm not sure about the Stiletto. I guess at the time, he was having a hard time finding Trilogy discs that were HSS enough for him but maybe not necessarily with good LSS too. Like a hard x,x, 0, 2 type category. That's my best guess. :confused:

Latest posts