• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 USDGC (Jomez lovefest optional)

It seems to me that the PDGA could do a package deal and control all media via an exchange of goods and services. I'm not advocating this, simply pointing out an alternative for others to fight over.

Now, media isn't going to pay for access in our sport, but ad placement and other graphics could be used instead of payment. Majors, NTs and A tiers would all come under such a process. Anything lower is up to the event.

This model gives the PDGA a bunch of power of the delivery of our sport in the media. To make it work better, I'd have a media control group that includes voices from major events to vote on and have a say in the relationship between media and the PDGA.

A lot of folks will be mad about such a thing but think what you could leverage with such a process. Advertising for other events, or across a series. Coordinated broadcasting and negotiation, top to bottom.

Yep, Innova would be upset that they couldn't go directly to SpinTV, but they are a PDGA sanctioned event. And coordinated broadcasting gives them a venue to advertise their event during other broadcast events.

Many sports leagues do exactly this. They do it for a couple of reasons, leverage of a larger product, and consistency.

But.....but.....what if they didn't choose Jomez?

Yeah, they certainly could cut a deal for the entire package. I'm not sure we're there yet. We might be better served by having multiple, competing vendors, each trying to push the envelope and raise the quality level.

And if they are using SpinTV for post, they put out a great product (other than their intro music which makes me feel like they are trying to sell me H2Flow from Parks and Rec).

If you loved the H2Flow soundtrack you're going to go BANANAS over the new single off the T.Dazzle mixtape!

A little roc told me that an announcement is coming tomorrow

Actually, USDGC and Innova own their tournament and the media rights.
And while they've never stopped a spectator from taking the odd picture or video, I do believe they have the right to prohibit someone who would like to film their tournament and distribute the content outside of Innova/USDGC's control.
Jamie can correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, they do. I never said they didn't.

That partner page hadn't been updated in a year if I am correct.

Guess what... CCDG, SmashBoxx, GK Pro, etc were not invited to to film either. Innova went with what was probably a more fiscally smart move and kept it on the spinTV channel.

Innova knows all the numbers. What it would cost them for Jomez vs the potential lost views by not having it on their channel.

If Innova has it on the channel they have, it will be like the times when USDGC was part of the World Disc golf tour but with less obtrusive ads then the Innova Spin TV channel. Innova Spin TV does a lot of the Europe Stuff that does not get covered by other channels thanks to the Innova Europe crew and those are not bad. This Tournament is not a supper favorite, was when very few courses had an over 1000 foot hole but now that is more seen in tournaments compared to in the majority of the 2000's. Now some holes seem gimmicky the one with the triple mando near the middle of the course coupled with the fact that the PDGA thinks it is okay to try out rules at this tournament makes it not as fun to watch. I get the pillars on old hole 1, those were needed to replace tall dead tree stumps that were next to the basket in very early tournaments.

Jomez is good but I'm willing to bet Innova had a good reason to go a different direction.

People defending Jomez like they are the only good production company have blinders on, to put it mildly. The field is catching up quickly (or already doing as well or better, thanks CCDG)

Actually CCDG has been falling behind, even GK Productions, Gatekeeper Media, and a few others have replay of good putts or throws in the Jomez style with flight or throw tracker as well as better way to see the score below the whole round in however of the 3 styles they use. It would be nice for all of them to use the same style be it Scorecard style, how much below par, or the total score for round style, with 3 styles I have to look to see who is using what and personally the below par style is the worst as someone can just obliterate that style and often I want to know what the par total is for the course. The worst is the Discgolf guy doing this but then remember that is just one person doing the film the coverage announcing and production and even he can do something that is almost as quality as CCDG if they only had one camera and one guy doing all the commentating.

Liking the side coverage that is the interviews by the one guy doing the Johnny disc golf productions, that was missing from the tournaments as to how the players themselves are during the tournaments what they were thinking and other interview stuff like on the road life. This is what they do for other sports, interviews and the like.

Last edited:
Changes to USDGC

Surprised no one started this thread yet. Correct me if I'm mistaken.

2 weeks to go! Just started course set up today. Lots of changes (as usual); based on some rumors, old holes 1 and 2 will not be played and traditional 3 will be hole one, old 4 will be 2, a new hole on the ball golf course might be 3, old 5 will have an older tee pad and will be hole 4 (only about 1,000 ft rather than the 1,100); next 6 holes will be traditional (except being one lower in number). Looks like the old 11-12 will be broken into 3 holes; everything else (13-18) looks like the old layout.

There will no longer be top red/yellow rope--replaced by short PVC pipes (still with the traditional bottom yellow string; the real OB line).

A few holes are now fully marked; most of the OB should be ready this week. Its a work in progress.

Really?

I believe that the good holes at USDGC after spectating last year are holes 1-6 and 15-18. I find 7-14 to be sub par holes to watch and aesthetically a nightmare. So, they are going to eliminate two of the more traditional holes with actual trees and replace them with at least one more wide open hole (the new hole created from 11/12 will be that way) or maybe both will be wide open.

Doesn't sound like an improvement.

I have some really bad news to share. Unfortunately jomezproductions is no longer invited to film at the USDGC. I am very disappointed and sad that Innova has chosen this terrible decision. I will no longer purchase any Innova products and I strongly encourage my fellow disc golfers to do the same. I think the Charlotte disc golf community should boycott this event and put all of their efforts into supporting the DGPT championships.

"Fellow disc golfers," lol. You need to evaluate your life if this upsets you enough to call for a boycott of Innova if you are truly from the Carolinas. Hopefully you will not be allowed on the grounds ever again at USDGC due to your entitlement and attitude.

The tree stump version of #1 they had for the last few years was not a good hole. I will miss #2 as it was one of the more "natural" holes on the course till they added the rope hazard for rollers and the pretzel sticks pillars. #8 is a really good hole. Depends on which layout #9 is for how successful of a hole it is. 10-12 are meh. Always liked #13 and think the teepad change made it less luck based.

Actually, I forgot about #13...that is a good hole...#8 would be good if it weren't playing along a baseball stadium wall...7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14 are holes that keep me from wanting to return to watch USDGC again...especially after just returning from GMC and those beautiful courses and fantastic facility in Vermont...

"Fellow disc golfers," lol. You need to evaluate your life if this upsets you enough to call for a boycott of Innova if you are truly from the Carolinas. Hopefully you will not be allowed on the grounds ever again at USDGC due to your entitlement and attitude.

Well said sir! :hfive:

Actually, I forgot about #13...that is a good hole...#8 would be good if it weren't playing along a baseball stadium wall...7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14 are holes that keep me from wanting to return to watch USDGC again...especially after just returning from GMC and those beautiful courses and fantastic facility in Vermont...

The course has changed many times over the years and the holes you mention to keep you from returning are most likely never going away although they could be altered like in years past. I heard only #2 was going to go away this year for vendors, food trucks, etc. but it makes sense to move #1 for access to watch #17 tee shots near the green on Saturday due to so many new players attending.

In fairness, he did sleep on it, calm down, and backtrack quite a bit:

You're right I wasn't level headed last night when I made that post. This may actually be a good thing because Jomez is now filming the DGPT championships. Not to mention Spintv did a good job filming the European open this year and the viewership was really good. They also have videos that have received over 1 million views in the past. Its probably a good thing to have multiple channels so one media company doesn't have leverage over the sport. I also think Jomez needs to mention the tournament sponsors at the beginning of their videos.

A rare thing in these forums.

In fairness, it was a little ways back, you might have missed it.

Really?

I believe that the good holes at USDGC after spectating last year are holes 1-6 and 15-18. I find 7-14 to be sub par holes to watch and aesthetically a nightmare. So, they are going to eliminate two of the more traditional holes with actual trees and replace them with at least one more wide open hole (the new hole created from 11/12 will be that way) or maybe both will be wide open.

Doesn't sound like an improvement.

I think we have to bear in mind that this is not a disc golf only facility. There may be extenuating circumstances entirely independent of disc golf that has prompted the changes this year.

And really, we need to get over the aesthetics thing. Until we have the money to create and modify our own courses that aren't on someone else's land, aesthetics have to take a back seat to functionality and access.

Parking lot holes are by default not good holes. Although 888 (or whatever the number these days) always creates good drama.

Come to think of it. I think only like 50% of USDGC are "good holes". But 100% are legendary. If I could play any course right now, Winthrop Gold would be it. Just because I've seen it sooooo many times on video. There are other courses in the US that I've also seen several times on video that are likely much better courses, but Winthrop Gold would always be the first pick.

Getting to play the Beast and Järva the first times were just like that. Like stepping into the videos. Played horribly mostly of course but enjoyed every minute.

Parking lot holes are by default not good holes. Although 888 (or whatever the number these days) always creates good drama.

Come to think of it. I think only like 50% of USDGC are "good holes". But 100% are legendary. If I could play any course right now, Winthrop Gold would be it. Just because I've seen it sooooo many times on video. There are other courses in the US that I've also seen several times on video that are likely much better courses, but Winthrop Gold would always be the first pick.

Getting to play the Beast and Järva the first times were just like that. Like stepping into the videos. Played horribly mostly of course but enjoyed every minute.

Winthrop in full dress is a ton of fun. In it's normal conditions is pretty boring IMO. I live 40 minutes away and will travel 2-3 hrs for a single day of good DG and don't go down to Rock Hill unless it's in USDGC condition.

IMO only of a few of the holes are bad holes. New #1 was a bad hole. 2-8 were/are challenging but fair in a Winthrop Gold kinda way. #9 with the multiple islands is meh, other configurations prior were good holes. 10-14 are not my kind of golf but they challenge and are fair. The green on #15 is dumb and the triple mando seems unnecessary (could just have mando keeping people from sawing off the corner). The rest of the course is pretty well designed.

Latest posts