• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2021 In the Bag

:I see the MJ banger only stuck around for a bit. I'd be happy to give it a nice home if you decide to get rid of it. :D

it goes in and out. I have 2 but I'm going to hold on to them (got a tournament ace with one). Some day I'll eventually commit to wearing one in, I'm just too impatient to do that with premium plastic now.

It's also hard because even though I have 11 molds in my bag I still try to be minimalist. More difficult to really stick to that these days since I have to accommodate for a developing forehand and I don't have as much of a dominant style anymore

it goes in and out. I have 2 but I'm going to hold on to them (got a tournament ace with one). Some day I'll eventually commit to wearing one in, I'm just too impatient to do that with premium plastic now.

It's also hard because even though I have 11 molds in my bag I still try to be minimalist. More difficult to really stick to that these days since I have to accommodate for a developing forehand and I don't have as much of a dominant style anymore

ya they take a while to break in. I tried for the longest time to be a mold minimalist, but then I realized that I was prioritizing having fewer molds more than having every shot covered. now I carry around 12 but each one is for a specific thing. As long as the decisions are easy, you don't have too many molds.

Pilots out and P Model S in as putter/thrower. I have switched back to a staggered stance with a flatter release which doesn't work so well with a low glide putter. The straddle/pitch putt I was using is a lot of effort for how I want my putt to "feel" coming out of my hand.

Ugh, we're on page 3 already? Some year I'll learn to stop changing discs so much.

The Force/Trace combo is out, in favor of a full cycle of hurricanes (which have been my go-to distance disc for a few years prior) I could never get the feel of the trace - sometimes when I could get it to turn, it wouldn't fade back as expected, and it acted far too overstable when I didn't get any turn on it. Kind of weird as I've never experienced that with a faster driver before. I'll carry 4 hurricanes, unless it's really windy, where I'll swap out the most understable for a Force, which pushes everything down a stability slot.

So the lineup for distance I'm using:
175 PL Hurricane, newish - flat, overstable hurricane. Used for long hyzer FH and BH, and wind shots
174 PL FLX Shasta Hurricane, worn - still nice and stable, bomber FH disc too. mainly for hard flat to hyzer shots
171 SP Hurricane, worn - this is THE go-to driver in my bag. Worn in enough where I can work angles, but still stable enough I can trust it to rip one.
168 PL FLX Shasta Hurricane, newish - pretty flippy, use this one when I don't have as much room to work with, will hyzer flip to flat and just lock on. Also really nice for really long turning shots.

Still going back and forth on the hurricane/trace. Some days, I just don't have the feel/power for the hurricane. I think having more good days throwing the trace might be a good trade off for the bad days throwing the hurricane. Everything was fine a couple years ago with the hurricane but I think my hips have definitely slowed just a bit since then, making it harder to consistently reach the power threshold I need for that disc.

Also looking to modify the fairway lineup to OLF/crave/maverick or something similar. The OLF is so versatile I don't feel like I *have* to have a sidewinder - but I'd like to have an actual hyzer flip fairway in the bag and the Maverick would cover that. The crave is a lot more 'point and shoot' and a single angle type disc. Some added versatility in that slot would be welcome. Also considering a Leopard3 for that slot.

Mids/approach/putters are all feeling like a well rounded, complete lineup for me. So I got that going for me, which is nice

Last edited:
Still going back and forth on the hurricane/trace. Some days, I just don't have the feel/power for the hurricane. I think having more good days throwing the trace might be a good trade off for the bad days throwing the hurricane. Everything was fine a couple years ago with the hurricane but I think my hips have definitely slowed just a bit since then, making it harder to consistently reach the power threshold I need for that disc.

Also looking to modify the fairway lineup to OLF/crave/maverick or something similar. The OLF is so versatile I don't feel like I *have* to have a sidewinder - but I'd like to have an actual hyzer flip fairway in the bag and the Maverick would cover that. The crave is a lot more 'point and shoot' and a single angle type disc. Some added versatility in that slot would be welcome. Also considering a Leopard3 for that slot.

Mids/approach/putters are all feeling like a well rounded, complete lineup for me. So I got that going for me, which is nice

You won't meet to many players who are bigger Trace fans than i am, but they aren't OS enough for me in headwinds or FH. 100% chance this is form related and not the disc's fault. They provide effortless distance, but I do need more HSS for some shots. Threw Forces for most of 10 years, and last year switched to Photons and Defys. Never been happier. The 11/12 speed slightly OS driver slot is hard for me, largely because I use it so often.

Midseason "comfort" update. Only playing 2 rounds per week at this point, not even leagues or tournaments. Pretty happy with how I've evolved some slots and went back to dependable favorites in others. I'll fill out my 'big bag' lineup that I carry with my Ridge.

Distance drivers
174 FF PL Hypercane, new - need to go hard hyzer or flex? this is the disc. not nukeOS unusable but pretty close.
174 Shasta TS PL FLX Hurricane, worn - fairly stable, main 'straight to hyzer' disc
171 SP Hurricane, worn - dependable for many years, primary distance disc.
167 Shasta TS PL FLX Hurricane, worn - started out pretty understable and just locks on to low hyzer flip lines.

Control drivers
175 FR Z Raptor, worn - still super overstable as it should be.
175 QOLF 1.16, new - this is my 'beat raptor' slot. Great stability for BH/FH
171 SOLF 1.16, new - workhorse stable control driver. Straight to hyzer disc
171 MOLF 1.16, worn - slightly less stable, works lines a little easier
172 Jennings TS Star Sidewinder, newish - finesse line disc, actually throw this a lot more forehand than backhand. Very controllable 300-325 in the woods.

Fairway drivers
175 Melton TS Shimmer Lucid-X Maverick, new - stable but not overstable. Longest name ever for a disc in my bag also.
175 Lucid Maverick, newish - has some flip to it. will go up to flat from a hyzer but won't push right unless I really get on it. Incredible control disc for the woods.

Midranges
176 FF PL Quake, newish - this is my utility disc that slots between a breaker and raptor. Mainly used between 150-250' for forehand shots.
177 PL Shastashock, worn - power midrange that is straight to fade, can push out to 300-325 with little change in it's flight. Just worn in enough where I can anny it and it will hold the angle.
177 PL Shastashock, new - stable version of the previous. will push out of a slight anhyzer.
178 MJ Swirl Glow ESP Comet (2018), worn - finally wearing in to stable/slightly understable. Great hyzer flip disc for the woods
17x X Comet, beat - low power straight or turning shots. beat up enough where it's not really a disc I can think about for anything that finishes left.

Putters
175 SP Breaker, worn - this has been my most throw disc in the last couple years. Starting to lose a tick of high speed stability but now very straight overall. Main approach disc
175 SP Breaker, new - When I need a bit more HS or LS stability than previous
175 P Model US, newish - BH approaches and shorter drives that I need straight/right finish on.
175 P Model S (x3) - all putting duties. Neutral flight and finish on longer putts (50'+) is soft enough that it just kind of falls out of the air instead of any real fade.