• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2022 Throw Down the Mountain

Gran Canyon is a HELL of a course! Luckily BTL found a couple of locals while we were waiting for the gate to open at 8AM and they were very helpful. Discussing the the history of the place, former tee pads and basket positions and expected positions of both for the tournament.

There are SO many blind tee shots and blind baskets that it is tough for first timers. Like everyone else says, the elevation change, in FLA, is amazing. Several elevated tees that require a decent carry, but just a few uphill shots, until you get to 18. Elevated forced carry tee shot, then an insane straight uphill carry to the green, maybe 40 or 50'.

Looking forward to watching this year's tournament. Truly an awesome private course with limited availability, not a bad choice for my 300th course!! :clap::thmbup:

Thanks again BTL!!

Loved every minute of it. Glad we were both able to snag a few birdies in there too.

The approach on 18 is unlike any shot I've tried to execute before. Would love to try to tackle this beast again, but am thankful we at least got one shot at it.

Thanks again to locals Doren and Gary for showing us the ropes.

What are the chances this course makes it onto the DGPT within the next two years? Would love to see it played by an all-elite field.

Interesting question. This event certainly has a history a drawing some elite talent, and it could theoretically slot in as a Silver Series the weekend before or after Champions Cup.

Is the course conducive to hosting a lot of spectators? Would DGPT be able to support their broadcast infrastructure? Those seem to be 2 of the big hurdles.

Interesting question. This event certainly has a history a drawing some elite talent, and it could theoretically slot in as a Silver Series the weekend before or after Champions Cup.
Champions Cup isn't staying at IDGC. :( Much to my own disappointment, because I'd love seeing the best players on WR Jackson annually. IIRC - its at Toboggan next year.

Is the course conducive to hosting a lot of spectators? Would DGPT be able to support their broadcast infrastructure? Those seem to be 2 of the big hurdles.

I don't think it would work with a lot of spectators, and unless things have changed in the last few years, parking is a real issue.

I don't think it would work with a lot of spectators, and unless things have changed in the last few years, parking is a real issue.

From what I saw on YouTube, I can see why you've mentioned this course is favorite of yours. It certainly doesn't seem like any other course I've ever played in FL.

Champions Cup isn't staying at IDGC. :( Much to my own disappointment, because I'd love seeing the best players on WR Jackson annually. IIRC - its at Toboggan next year.

I think it needs to be a regular tour stop at a minimum. I heard Steve Dodge say on the Upshot that the Southeast was pretty underrepresented on the DGPT, and I think given the course's history and affiliation with the PDGA/DG HoF, it has a good chance of being an Elite Series or Silver Series at least.

....it's just a great property for disc golf. To begin with, it's in an unusual, very hilly area in Florida. But to add to that, it's an old limestone quarry, so there's a maze of canyons cut through it, with flat bottoms and 60' cliff walls, topped by hilly terrain. Drape that with about 80 years of subtropical growth, including large live oaks, and some of the cliffs crumbling into slopes, and it's such a great property where even a bad designer would end up with a fine course.

The original permanent course was a much-different layout than the current temp course -- with an 18-hole loop and an additional 9-hole loop, for 27 total. That original layout, and a few of the temp layouts I played in the early years of its annual reincarnation, are all among my favorites.

Florida is well known for its mountain range.

Some states keep their mountains secret, better than others.

It was a running gag around here, that we'd tell other disc golfers about the Florida mountains, but they wouldn't believe us. Eventually we'd convince them to go play The Canyon, and they'd return to tell other disc golfers about the Florida mountains, and not be believed.

What are the chances this course makes it onto the DGPT within the next two years? Would love to see it played by an all-elite field.

On the flip side, I hope not. I don't want to see all the tournaments homogenized by the dgpt. It's nice to be able to get some fries and a Coke from McDonald's but the world would be a lesser place without some small family-owned diners too.

But I also enjoy watching thediscgolfguy and CCDG coverage more than Jomez. Much different vibe (more old school and relaxing).

Then again I choose tourney coverage to watch based on course over players. I'd rather watch ams on a good course than top pros on a golf course.

Watched front 9 of TDTM last night. Good to see Wiggins again. Enjoyed the coverage. On the dgpt we wouldn't have seen Wiggins, Perkins or Goodpasture. Was a nice change of pace imo.

On the flip side, I hope not. I don't want to see all the tournaments homogenized by the dgpt. It's nice to be able to get some fries and a Coke from McDonald's but the world would be a lesser place without some small family-owned diners too.

But I also enjoy watching thediscgolfguy and CCDG coverage more than Jomez. Much different vibe (more old school and relaxing).

Then again I choose tourney coverage to watch based on course over players. I'd rather watch ams on a good course than top pros on a golf course.

Watched front 9 of TDTM last night. Good to see Wiggins again. Enjoyed the coverage. On the dgpt we wouldn't have seen Wiggins, Perkins or Goodpasture. Was a nice change of pace imo.

Is it too much to want to see the best players on the best courses! :D

Some states keep their mountains secret, better than others.

It was a running gag around here, that we'd tell other disc golfers about the Florida mountains, but they wouldn't believe us. Eventually we'd convince them to go play The Canyon, and they'd return to tell other disc golfers about the Florida mountains, and not be believed.

That is a part of FLA I have not seen either.

I adore this property and course but for those hoping this turns into a tour stop, I don't think it's feasible. I think this tournament is about as big as it could be already, split into 4 weekends of divisions. As mentioned, the "parking lot" is already jammed full and there isn't any room behind tees for spectators on most holes. There could be spectator "pods" in certain areas but the walks to and between are neither intuitive nor conducive to dozens of spectators meandering through.