• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

3 finger vs. 4 finger

I throw with only 2 fingers.I havnt been playing very long but I have tried every grip possible and ithe 2 finger grip is what works for me.I'm currently discing down thanks to advice I've seen on the board..but my distance is definitely way above average and I've had a few top notch players comment on my snap and the use of my 2 finger grip.It makes sense to me 2 fingers is less resistance on the disc you can feel the rip and control it suprisingly well.

Well. I'm officially convinced. As of now I have only tried a 2 finger grip but maybe 4 or 5 throws dicking around. This season I'm gonna slowly convert so I can be l33t like the other 2 finger throwers I know.

I buggered my pinky playing Ulti so I only use a 3 finger
I also suck at this game

I might try a 2 finger this spring
I think I am also too tight too early with my grip
but I can't seem to get the timing down...I am tight to early so not enough extension and snap
or I am not tight enough at the right time and I get slippage and no snap

I also think I need to consciously stop my shoulder rotation for a bit and see what happens

It all comes down to points of contact.

My buddy uses three. He keeps his pointer on the outside edge of the rim and other tucked under like a power grip. He says he can keep it nose down better but I get the opposite when I do this. He only throws about 25' further than me on average so no worries.

This is a really bad idea no matter how many fingers you use. He likely has problems with nose down because of wrist orientation, so he puts that finger out and changes the points of contact and release to change nose angle. Bad.

As for 2 vs 3 vs 4 finger. It's down to how much pressure/velocity you can convert onto the inside rim. I use a standard 4 finger power grip, but the pinky really doesn't have much pull to it. The majority of the pull puts pressure mainly on the middle and index finger. I've been trying to incorporate applying more pressure onto the ring finger as well but it takes consciously doing so and I often forget. Big power 2 fingers snappers are taking all the power of the "power" grip, and just using the two main pressure points, the index and middle finger. What it then lacks is control that is from the third and/or fourth finger. Yes, they can get huge distance, but I wouldn't suggest changing your grip to this just because you can't comfortably use a power grip (which I personally think is bull****, any grown adult can use a 4 finger power grip, it's just whether or not you are willing to change/fix other parts of the grip to allow for that). 4 finger really isn't necessary, but I think at least 3 is best.

Main things that are crucial for the grip is to keep the index finger's first knuckle on the bead of the disc (or where a bead would be, if the disc doesn't have one), and to have the thumb directly above it creating a pivot point where the disc is pinched. After that, it's just playing with the disc position from there to find the best and most comfortable way to hold it in all 3-4 fingers.

My backhand is 3 finger which includes my pinky and my forehand is 1 finger. I guess I should be happy that I can throw nearly 300' with just my middle finger on the rim forehand eh?

I throw with only 2 fingers.I havnt been playing very long but I have tried every grip possible and ithe 2 finger grip is what works for me.I'm currently discing down thanks to advice I've seen on the board..but my distance is definitely way above average and I've had a few top notch players comment on my snap and the use of my 2 finger grip.It makes sense to me 2 fingers is less resistance on the disc you can feel the rip and control it suprisingly well.

We've been playing about the same amount of time. How far are you throwing? I hit my first 350' throw while actually playing last week (3rd hole at Red Ridge with a hyzer-flipped AvengerSS). Generally I'll get my Avenger(SS) out to 320'-330'. I've thrown farther in the field, but I don't really count those.

I was going to mess with the 2-finger grip, because I've noticed that I throw farthest if I loosen my grip, almost to the point of being floppy, up until just before the 'hit', and I think that a 2-finger grip would almost force that, or the disc would pull out too early.

My son was showing me his form and throw for backhand. He consistently hits the 400 foot mark. He has been helping me get a decent backhand worked out after my numerous shoulder problems. He starts his run up to the tee with 4 fingers then drops the pinky off right before release. It works.

I use the typical 4 finger power grip. I feel like I have a little more control and snap. Plus if I were to only use three fingers I would feel awkward with not having my pinky finger on the disc. What would it do?

Your pinky goes pointing out, therefore adding class and an air of importance to your throw. Just like high society sipping tea.

My buddy uses three. He keeps his pointer on the outside edge of the rim and other tucked under like a power grip. He says he can keep it nose down better but I get the opposite when I do this. He only throws about 25' further than me on average so no worries.

I think that's a bad habit to get into. When I started back playing I did that without realizing it. I was all over the place.

As for a 3 finger grip, I started using it when I caught my pinkie in a shopping cart last summer. I like it.

I learned the 4 finger grip the past 2 years, I've always used 3. Now I use 3 unless it's a wide rim disc like a Katana or a shot into the wind where I don't want a lot of snap, then 4 works best for me. I went thru some hell with my game learning this but now have it where I know how to make both grips work for me and gained distance.
I never tried a 2 finger grip.

2 and 3 finger grips feel odd to me, so I haven't played around with them too much. I use a 4 finger power grip on drivers and a fork type grip on my mids and putters mostly.

There's a video on YouTube, where Feldberg mentions he uses a 3 finger grip just on the mids for more accuracy.

I searched and searched for anything about this before hand, but it won't search "3" or "three".

Who has used both, or can see any differences in them? I don't use my pinky when driving anything except putters. Once i throw the pinky into the mix, its a whole different form.

Any REAL reason to change?

Four finger supposedly adds distance potential, but for some people the 3rd or 4th finger gets in the way of the disc pivot which may be due to incorrect grip/orientation, hand/finger size, or disc rim width.

I've played around with a two finger on speed 13 discs because I have a hard time getting my pinky on the rim and had decent results, but can't get consistency and get some slips. I prefer a four finger grip though.

Robbie Bratten throws with a two finger. I believe he holds the disc speed record, and he is one of the top distance guys.

The index finger on top the flight plate is common of Ultimate players. It does typically pull the nose up which is often desired in Ultimate, but not in Disc Golf. I think the upper 300's is often the limit with that grip.

In conclusion it typically just comes down to what feels comfortable for you for the best results.

i basically shouldn't change if i don't need to then. I can throw 400 accurately average now (
im not big by any means). I played a whole round today with a 4 finger modified power grip to see if I can get used to it, and i can throw a little further but my accuracy isn't that good.

I was mainly trying to convert for wrist purposes. i notice on 3 fingers when I reach back, I cock my wrist back a little (toward the outside of my arm) When I use 4 fingers. My wrist stays straight and even with the disk the whole way. I was thinking if I can get used to 4, My distance will boost.

4 always. Especially when driving mids and putters. Get much more consistent distance with 4.

I dont know. Popular choice is the 4 finger power grip or the Climo fork grip but I use 2 fingers. I have tried the other ways mentioned but its funny because I have caught my self taking my ring and pinky finger off the disc mid pull when I've done so.

2 fingers just feels natural to me and I get some really good snap; well at least compared to when I try the other grips; along with seeming to control it a lot better and more consitent. Now if only I can master the nose angle and a little more burst from the hit and I will be all set.

A friend of mine just figured out the 2 finger grip and immediately added like 40-50' of power. Not sure why it works for him but it is really awkward for me!

i basically shouldn't change if i don't need to then. I can throw 400 accurately average now (
im not big by any means). I played a whole round today with a 4 finger modified power grip to see if I can get used to it, and i can throw a little further but my accuracy isn't that good.

I was mainly trying to convert for wrist purposes. i notice on 3 fingers when I reach back, I cock my wrist back a little (toward the outside of my arm) When I use 4 fingers. My wrist stays straight and even with the disk the whole way. I was thinking if I can get used to 4, My distance will boost.

If you are comfortable with it, stick with it, sounds like it works well for you. If you feel like experimenting then its simply that, experimenting. It sounds like your 4 finger grip may not be correct though.

Im having trouble picturing what you just said about your wrist. Disc orientation in your hand shouldn't really change from a 2, 3, or 4 finger grip, but your finger placement likely will to get the same orientation. If you are forcing your pinky on the rim too tight then it can tighten your muscles too much and you lose tendon bounce, and you may also lose disc pivot if your pinky doesn't rip first. The 4 finger grip should be progressively tighter from pinky to index(tightest). I don't know if you have seen Bradley Walkers Snap 2009 vids, but he explains it well in them.

Latest posts