• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

400' now what?

I suggest finding the local pros/top rated players and sticking to them like white on rice. Watch what they do and pick their brain in regards to why they did the type of shot they did, why a specific disc, ect. Try playing doubles with them if possible (its the easiest way to ask questions and absorb info - because you're taking the same shots).

locally here in CT the local pros and top amateurs/open players are really nice and actually let you play with them and are happy to answer questions. The majority of the time they do the smart play and go for the "easiest" shot, but the easiest shot actually isn't that obvious (because they see the lie differently and have the ability to do forehands/backhands and consider the wind, ect). Its like seeing top pool/billiard players work.

u could easily push something like a wraith further than 400 if your throwing a tl that far

Go practice with your 9 putters. Decide which one you like best for actual putting. Then buy 10 of them. Practice until you never miss anything inside 30 feet.

If you can drive 400, and never miss inside 30, then you'll be a very good player, and you'll easily add some distance to your drives over time.

Sounds like the next step is to dial down your putting and approach shots. I've played with great local players, watched countless nt vids, the majority of players seem to max out around 350-400 at tournaments unless it's a 100% wide open shot and then they go to high flex or rollers to get out to the 450-500ft range. Don't neglect the importance of a deadly accurate 250-300ft approach shot through tunnels, low ceilings, etc, seems like that and putting wins tournaments.

Yes, I forgot to mention that, I go to doubles, I watch better players. I ask tons of questions, although usually I don't have to, people are generally willing to give free advice. It was actually one of those guys who suggested the TL3 and FD jackal which are two of my best discs now. Next to the Truth, I seriously love that disc.

I'm not 400' sidearm, but my sidearm is just as good as my backhand generally. I started playing sidearm, and developed my backhand because I had to for many shots. I've spent some time on utility shots too. I can throw thumbers and Tommys pretty good, the barrel shot I'm still working on. I can throw an ok roller as well, but I don't practice those very much.
Usually when I go throw the whole bag, I run through it twice backhand, then once forehand, repeat.

Last edited:
I do have some questions.

Was your 400 on a distance line or on a golf line? How high did you throw it? Tailwind? Headwind?

With what did you measure?

I do have some questions.

Was your 400 on a distance line or on a golf line? How high did you throw it? Tailwind? Headwind?

With what did you measure?

It was a golf shot line. It went maybe 15-20' up in the air. It was a pretty straight shot. I don't get as much distance when I throw high. There was a little bit of tailwind. More of a tail breeze actually. Measured with Udisc. Not really sure what a distance line is. Like Wiggins 860' style?

Last edited:
Starting with the Beato / right pec / closed shoulder drill is something I wish I would have started earlier. I maxed out at about 425' open field distance with what I would call poor-form and lots of practice. This summer I put a ton of effort into unlearning bad habits and I've been pushing to 450' in open field distance and I'm getting much more accurate at 400' in golf rounds.

The single best thing you can do IMO, is to get clear slow motion footage of yourself throwing and analyze it and post it up for critique. From the side and from behind - it's really easy to be doing something that can hinder your form.

I thought that throwing 400' meant I was throwing with solid form, but the truth is you have to see what's going on to see if you have sound fundamentals. And you will absolutely have to have those sound fundamentals to go much past 400'.

Last edited:
Yes, I'm going to do that one of these days. Have my GF come film me throwing. I feel like I do weird things with my arm. Like it's higher than it ought to be, but when I bring it lower I end up with a unwanted hyzer.

Alright well I picked up a basket, and have practicing my putts. But I am inconsistent at best. It seems everyone has a different putting style. What I have heard is you don't want to change how you putt. Go with what feels best. So I'm just basically putting over and over again. Is that all it is? Sometimes it goes in, sometimes it doesn't. I'm sticking within 30' fit now. I just don't feel like I'm really getting much better. But I could be wrong. I'm also using 6 different putters. Well 9 putters 6 molds. Is this all it is, just putt over and over and over. What can I be doing to make sure I'm putting well.

I suck at 40-60', I'm better at 79-100' do I work mostly from there? Or do I keep plugging away at 10, 20, 30, and work my way back as I get more consistent?

Alright well I picked up a basket, and have practicing my putts. But I am inconsistent at best. It seems everyone has a different putting style. What I have heard is you don't want to change how you putt. Go with what feels best. So I'm just basically putting over and over again. Is that all it is? Sometimes it goes in, sometimes it doesn't. I'm sticking within 30' fit now. I just don't feel like I'm really getting much better. But I could be wrong. I'm also using 6 different putters. Well 9 putters 6 molds. Is this all it is, just putt over and over and over. What can I be doing to make sure I'm putting well.

I suck at 40-60', I'm better at 79-100' do I work mostly from there? Or do I keep plugging away at 10, 20, 30, and work my way back as I get more consistent?

Do some research on putting fundamentals and try some of those out. You are correct that you shouldn't be changing your putting style, but that's only if you have the fundamentals down and are somewhat consistent. Observe what you do when the disc goes in and try to replicate it. Observe what what happens when it does not, and try to avoid it.
I also suggest getting 5-10 nearly identical putters for practice.
Start short until you can't miss, then move a little further out and throw until you can't miss, then keep moving a little further out until you are at the edge of your comfort range, then practice to see what you need to get the disc in.

80% of my putting practice is from 20-35'. I use one mold. Try to make a game out of practice.(I think I got this from an interview with Ricky wysoki in disc golfer magazine) For example; start at 5', take 6 putts. Move back to 10' only after you have made all 6. Take 6 more putts at 10'. If you make them, move back to 15. If you miss one, move back to the start and repeat. Do this out to as far as you can continue to make putts.

Practice lots of different putts. Straddle, turbo, horseshoe, forehand, awkward stances, from your knees, high anhysers, hyzers, high and flat, low and hard... I can easily spend a couple hours putting and not get bored.

80% of my putting practice is from 20-35'. I use one mold. Try to make a game out of practice.(I think I got this from an interview with Ricky wysoki in disc golfer magazine) For example; start at 5', take 6 putts. Move back to 10' only after you have made all 6. Take 6 more putts at 10'. If you make them, move back to 15. If you miss one, move back to the start and repeat. Do this out to as far as you can continue to make putts.

Practice lots of different putts. Straddle, turbo, horseshoe, forehand, awkward stances, from your knees, high anhysers, hyzers, high and flat, low and hard... I can easily spend a couple hours putting and not get bored.

This is solid advice. Also try to develop a routine. It will allow to focus and become more machine-like in your putting. The routine itself doesn't have to be short or long, just something that you do before every putt.

When it comes to putting practice I find that I have better success (both in practice and on the course) when I practice putting from upshots. Of course this also demands a little bit of space to actually throw the upshot, but I think that it really helps in emulating the feel of a round so the practice translates more naturally to rounds.

So is it not helping me using all my putters. I have a warden, 2 judges, and a Touch. Which are all very very similar. An Ion, a Dart, and a Summit, which are all pretty different, and a Magnet and Sodt magnet. I've been taking a run with all of them. It's been fine at 10-20' I'm sinking more than I'm missing, but I could see it being a problem when I get further out, or should I not worry about it?

If you are working on finding a consistent form, and a putter that works for you, its probably fine to throw a variety of putters. Once you get your form dialed in, settle on one mold.