• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A Disc Shop...

I think I am a little spoiled right now as I literally live a couple of Blocks from Discovering the World. By they way, they have great prices and even though their web page is not as good as DGC I still like them better. Realy nice people that run the store as well. Lots of expertise.

The primary advantage of shopping in the flesh is that I know exactly what I'll be getting. Its also more practical when buying just one or two discs. When I buy online I prefer to get at least six discs so I can spread out the shipping charges, or eliminate them.

Kind of the problem I've seen in some brick and mortar shops that I've seen is that the people (who have no understanding of disc golf) sometimes haven't the slightest clue what the standard retail price for the various plastics go for. One time I went into a Wal-mart and they were selling DX plastic for $13. A Scheels store in Iowa was selling FLX plastic for $23.

One thing I will advise everyone is that if your local club sells discs, buy them through there. You're dealing with people who know exactly what you need and you're supporting your club in the process. Better than supporting some nameless corporate entity.

There are a lot of difficulties to opening a disc golf store. First, there has to be a solid market in your area. If you live in an area with 3 courses and around 100 active locals...you have little to no chance at maintaining profit levels. You could do it in conjunction with another business and it may stay afloat.

To answer the question, I would rather hold the disc and get a feel for it before I spend. Does that always happen? No. But I have a short observation. My buddies and I take a trip each year. We always try to find a store to stop at. My favorite is Disc N Dat in Florence, KY. I have a friend who has probably never ordered a disc off of the internet. But when we get to one of these stores, he goes bonkers, spending hundreds on plastic just to try it out. Simply because he likes the feel of it.

The most successful disc golf operations IMHO are those that sell in a strong disc golf community or area, and incorporate an online store-front. If you do both you can be successful. Most online shops have a physical store in a thriving disc golf community. Disc Nation in is in Dallas I believe. Disc N Dat is in the Cincinnati area. Gotta Go Gotta Throw is in the Twin Cities. Marshall Street is located near Maple Hill and a number of other great courses. These are just examples.

I think that you need these three things to succeed: strong local disc golf community, excellent area courses, and an on-line store front. I have thought about this business model a lot. Here in the Nashville area, we have some great courses, a pretty strong (and growing) disc golf community, but I am not sure if it would be enough to support a merchandising operation. There is a business in my area that houses indoor batting cages and training facilities as well as a very nice gym which hosts AAU tournaments and offers lessons to children from some exceptional coaches. If it went up for sale, I would seriously think about buying it and adding disc golf to the agenda as there would be plenty of support from other lines of business to keep it afloat. And it is not a very expensive line to get into since you by the racks. Then the discs, bags, and apparel which are resold so you are really only out for the purchases made for displays.

I hope you are able to get one up and running...but the market has to be just right for it to take off.

Thanks for the input guys! I really appreciate it! Let me bounce this off you all since you are so reliable.

My current thought for a business model would be:

Set up shop at already established convenience stores near disc golf courses.

Advertise like crazy, paper the courses, little "stick in the ground" signs at the local courses, promote at local tourneys and doubles matches.

Have a "mobile pro shop" to take around to all the area tournaments and events (WBDGW).

Push HARD the idea of being able to touch and feel exactly what you want to buy.

Bring a temp basket and dummy discs along to tourneys and events to allow some test-action.

Thanks again for all your input.

I always have the same dream about setting up an actual DG and kite pro shop here in Rochester, NY which now has 8 courses and counting... But there's no way that this store will able to last all year around with four different seasons. How can this shop maintain its business successfully? The only ways that I can think of is to include some sort of eatery like a cafe or bar or bookstore or something that will off set the lost of sales during off-seasons. Online store front is another option as well but don't like to deal with mailing stuff or get screwed by it.

I live right down the very same street from MCC and I could easily set up a small shop inside the indoor front porch of my house on that street but is it legal? There are other stores on the same street which I'm assuming that I'm in the commercial zone, aren't I? I think my house is perfect location for college students (RIT, MCC, and UR) or newcomers to come to. In fact, there's a huge open field right across the street from my house!

BUT there are discs that can be found at two PIAS (many Innova/very few Discraft/rare Quest AT)) and one Dick's (only Innova) and one pizza/deli cafe (50/50 of both Innova and Discraft) which right down the street from the infamous Ellison Park. I have seen local pro players or some disc vendors showing up at the courses trying to sell their discs/products from the boxes in the back of the car/truck. It seems to me that the only way to maintain business success is to keep traveling around with discs with you and sell it at the courses and offer online ordering as well.

I did called to Spinners on the Green in AZ about two months ago and asked them how did they maintain their shop. They said it wasn't easy and they do have other jobs to maintain their household bills. The shop was only open in limited time and days. They pointed out that they got lucky strike by having the right location which Vista Del Camino Park is right behind them and including bicycle rentals for people to ride around the town and park. I have visited their shop and it was very nice!

I did also visit Discovery the World shop too, also very nice but noticed that there aren't any coures nearby their shop but did notice a huge range of discs in back of the shop. I guess they did most of the success by online store and traveling around. Same thing for Glide shop in Madison, WI which right across the street from Hiestand Park. Met the guy but he's kinda bit rude due to talking on the phone most of the time while there are four actual consumers standing around waiting for more than 15 minutes for him to get off the phone. He was talking about discs over the phone anyway...:cool:

Anyone who have good business mind or experience can throw in suggestions or advices for us to set up shop in similar fashion are greatly appreciated!!

May I make a suggestion of starting it online and building some up a client base while letting the locals know you are the "go to" guy. Run it out of your basement! low overhead and everything is there and you work from home. Just a thought.

Running it from the basement might be good, you can still have a mobile set up for tourney's and what not, and give out bussiness cards for people to call when they want to buy something from your house. I think most people would prefer to get a feel for a disc when they buy it, especially when it's something they've never thrown before. The shop here, dogleg discs, has a basket set up in the store so you can get a little bit of a feel of the disc. They sell all sorts of discs, freestyle and golf, plus bags, travel baskets the whole shebangabang.

I've never bought a disc online. But my home course has a pro-shop and since I used to work there... I don't remember the last time I bought a disc. But if I had to buy one... I would definately buy it from the shop.

The only way I would buy a disc online is if it was some collector disc on ebay or something. Anyone want to sell any Omega Super Soft 1.12's (or other old version close to 1.12)??? I'll buy one of those online.
DSCJNKY

I did also visit Discovery the World shop too, also very nice but noticed that there aren't any coures nearby their shop but did notice a huge range of discs in back of the shop. I guess they did most of the success by online store and traveling around.

You know La Mirada is about five minutes from Discovering the World. There is also a Pro Shop at La Mirada but DTW is cheaper. DTW also goes to the Wintertime Open usually but that is about it for traveling. In talking with the owner and former owners, they do over 90% of their business online. Also they have an annual sale in December where they actually let you in their stacks in the back.

In person, i buy 90% of my disc from the local pro who sell out of his van. he can answer all my questions about the disc too. Im all for the little guy getting his share of the pie.

Good Luck!!!

I much prefer to get my plastic at a store (I firmly believe caressing is a major part of the purchasing process!).

We're lucky to have Tilley's Party Store in Traverse City, about an hour away. They are a regular convenience store with a huge selection of imported beer, other liquors, cigars, the usual chips, drinks, and snacks, and a well organized and extensive selection of discs and accessories from virtually every manufacturer. Plus, the guys that work there know their plastic and are helpful and friendly. The store is also located about 2 miles from one of the biggest and most active courses in northern Michigan. It's a one-stop shop for everything you need for a DG outing! Woot!! Oh, and they have a basket outside their front door for trying out putters. Sweeet.

I always have the same dream about setting up an actual DG and kite pro shop here in Rochester, NY which now has 8 courses and counting...

Our best local DG store in Savannah(Sails & Rails) carries merchandise much like what you're talking about. I don't know if they still do custom kites anymore, but they do make some of their own merchandise I think.

from their website: Custom Flags - US, State & Country Flags - Kites & Stunt Kites - Wind Chimes - Hammock Chairs - Disc Golf

Not much to see here: http://www.savannah.com/savannahsails/

If you're ever in the Savannah, Ga area you should check them ou and go play Tom Triplett DGC, they're only about 8 miles apart.

Hope this helps!

Oh and to respond to the question posed: I prefer to buy in person, but it's very hard to compete with me being able to select exact weight and color. I buy about half my discs in person because I usually don't want to wait a week, and the other half I buy online when I can't find what I want at the local stores. We have four places locally that sell discs, but sometimes the selection isn't great.

I used to buy most of my plastic from a convenience store on Water St. in Santa Cruz - DJ's. They have a killer selection and they are right down the street from my favorite DG park (DeLaveaga). I used to hit them on the way out, being able to go there after normal business hours was a plus.

I'd grab a drink, some food and more often than not a disc - my friends would do the same thing. I choose to support the small guy when I can. The convenience of the convenience store was a definite plus.

These days you should probably find a way to have a web presence as well, otherwise I say go for it man. 3 courses! can't believe there isn't one there yet.

Good Luck!

I've had really good success buying on line since there's never been a good disc shop anywhere near me or even at the closest course to me. This changed this year, though.

I was just at Shawnee State Park today in Bedford, PA. It's just a simple little 9 hole course at a multi purpose park (boating, swimming, etc.). The course was just put in last June (2008). Last year they had a couple molds and that was it at the boat rental office/store. But now they have a nice Innova selection. I was very impressed. They had a four tier Innova Display rack totally full. And when I didn't find the Champion Viking that I was looking for the youg guy at the store told me to hang on a second as he knew that he'd seen some around. He proceeded to grab a couple more full boxes of plastic from the back room and quickly found 5 or 6 for me to pick from.

He wasn't at all knowledgeable about the game or discs, but was very nice and very willing to help however he could. He actually ended up asking me for some disc recommendations so that he could get some for his dad for Father's day and for himself to start on.

Oh, and I almost forgot. On the short road between Schellsburg, PA and the park, there's a bait shop/convenience store called Coach Ed's. They run the concession's at the park and also keep discs in the store now. In addtion to the usual Innova suspects, they also had about three different Lighting Disc molds. The lady there said that the park is definitely considering adding another 9 holes on site. I would totally be stoked if they did. They have a lot more land for longer and more technical holes if they choose to do so.

I am with others and will purchase at a store if a good one presents itself. On the way to Lenora there is a Play it again sports that has a very decent selection (maybe a couple hundred) but pretty much nothing I am ever looking for though they do have lightning, discraft, some gateway and some DGA too shockingly enough.

The prices aren't bad either...I think 8-9 bucks for a DX which is more than online but you get instant gratification and support a local store. Star was a little pricey IMO but I don't think my wife would have let me out of the store without the Leopard in her grubby paws.

So if there was a REAL store...dedicated like, I would be there every day....ok not quite but would probably stop in on pay day and buy one.