• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A first for me ...

I played Center City @ Goat Hill in CA which is on a ball course. It was kind of neat, but I hope it is not the future.

One of the major differences between disc and ball golf are the trees, big rocks, gully's, etc. Disc golf is best when there are obstacles to shoot around. And these are places that golf carts can not go. You have to walk.

Now, unless the ball course has a bunch a wooded areas that they can build a disc course, that would be different. But one that follows the ball course is just a novelty.

Now the beer cart is something I did like, and we need to get more off those out on the course.

Awesome! One of the things I really detested about ball golf is now coming to disc golf. One of the greatest advantages disc golf has over ball golf is the significantly reduced environmental impact. If we start using carts, then we'll have to maintain the courses "better" for the carts driving sake as well as reduce a lot of the natural landscape that makes disc golf special.

I actually like the walking aspect now; it helps me think about my next shot and what i want to throw/do. that being said, the cart would be a cool novelty, especially cart girls mid-round! I wouldn't play the sport if it cost me $25 each time; i don't have that kind of jack.

Interesting post... the future for DG who knows...

Just thinking this over the last few minutes.. I'd have to say I hope this is way off in the future of DG, at this point I think it would hurt our growing sport more than help.

One one of the courses here in our town is in a large park where we have hundreds if not thousands of visitors every weekend.. Bikers, hikers, runners, paddle-boats, windsurfers, huge playground for kids.. something for everyone.
Often times I'll see a group of four or five, each carrying one disc and obviously just trying out DG or very casual players at best. One of the beauties of our sport is the very low cost to play, someone new to the sport can literally buy one disc for less than 10 dollars and they have everything they need to try it out... Unlike Ball golf, a set of clubs a basic set is in the hundreds, tee times, green fees cart fees... not to mention private courses that charge annual membership fees.. get the Idea.. much lower investment to Try Disc Golf. I feel the lower cost to try the sport, added to the simplicity of just show up and play encourages many first time players and first time players are the ONLY thing that will grow the numbers in our sport.

I could go on .. carts novelty? in my opinion it might be fun for a day.. but as someone that as played a little ball golf I have found that keeping my shots fairly close to the fairway and .pulling my clubs is just as quick to play, or pretty close.

Ball golf and Disc golf both share the word golf, and both involve trying to hit a target in the distance.. but I think we need to be careful about how close we need to try and mimic ball course. Sure, there are things that we can learn from ball golf.. but recognizing the differences and promoting those differences that attracted most to try DG in the first place maybe best for our sport..

this sort of reminds me of the KISS theory.. Keep It Simple Stupid (not meat to offend anyone that has a different opinion, just came to mind.

Either way Im a newbie to DG so this is just one newbies perspective on things.

Whether you pay to play.. drive or walk get out there and have fun...

I consider these converted ball golf courses a supplement to the free to play courses we already have in existence. I doubt that they will replace them anytime soon.

There's no reason we shouldn't have both as options. :)

I also like the walking of disc golf. Actually on most courses around here it's more playing golf while you "hike". Carts seem to be overkill in my opinion.

I don't necessarily think carts are the future, but pay-to-play, and tee times definitely are. Carts are an added bonus, where they are warranted...and a burden where they're not.

I've done the disc-golf-on-a-ball-golf-course-with-carts thing. It's fine as a novelty, but not all that great. It's certainly not the future of disc golf; perhaps one part of the future.
This^

and tee times definitely are.
That's about when folks may start losing interest. The free flow play when you show up aspect of disc golf is one of its advantages.

Last edited:
That's about when folks may start losing interest. The free flow play when you show up aspect of disc golf is one of its advantages.

There are pros and cons to everything.

I'd rather plan my day, and know I'll have a spot when I get there. Nothing is worse than arriving and seeing a three group back-up on hole 1. Plus, inhibiting (or changing) growth may be part of our future as well.

There's a golf course about an hour from my house that is now renting out hovercrafts instead of carts. I know this probably adds nothing to the thread, but I wonder if we'll ever see these in any of the big disc golf tournaments in the future. God knows I would need a sponsor to be able to afford one for a round.

There's a golf course about an hour from my house that is now renting out hovercrafts...

Ummmm...what? Why? How much? That's like renting out Segways to disc golfers, or other such nonsense. But, if there's a market for it...why not I guess. :\

There are pros and cons to everything.

I'd rather plan my day, and know I'll have a spot when I get there. Nothing is worse than arriving and seeing a three group back-up on hole 1.
This is when I just start on another hole, or if every hole is like that find another course.

Ummmm...what? Why? How much? That's like renting out Segways to disc golfers, or other such nonsense. But, if there's a market for it...why not I guess. :\

It's ridiculous. $230 is what I've read. It's in Springfield, OH if you feel like reading into it.

well, it was an interesting experience for sure. i thought it was OK, not how I'd want to play DG everyday. The cart was a pain in the ass. My wife hated it. She likes her secluded disc golf walks in the woods.

I never rent a cart. Lava Creek is a combo ball golf/disc golf course with carts available for the weekly, but it usually takes longer than if you walk. It carries your discs and you can bring a lot more beer, but you are restricted to the cart path (at this course) so you are constantly walking between the cart and your disc. Sadly, it's also normal for there to be one group of 5 people with 3 carts.

It is still my favorite place to play. See link in my sig.

Here is a cool video of Bubba Watson and his hovercart:

On topic:

I think disc golf on a ball golf course is very cool if done correctly. I agree with the previous poster that carts allow the designer to spread the course out and use more of the property without requiring incredibly long walks.

The best disc golf holes on the ball golf courses are usually in the rough areas and trees near the cart paths. Our local club will be installing a temp course on a local ball golf course for a tournament in September. I don't think we will be using carts, but we are all very excited about the course. Hopefully we will be able to put the course in permanently.