• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A Grey Ace?

simpletwist

* Ace Member *
While playing a round this morning at Hawk's Landing in Eden, NY I had a first. A first for me anyway. I was playing number 10 over a small pond that needs a hard right turn to cross the pond and get near the basket. Not an overly long hole at around 210ish. And there's enough trees to make it a challenge. Well with a 2 finger LHFH with my Jade I over thought it as usual, and turned the Jade over immediately. :wall: It ducked out of my sight and I fully expected to hear and see a splash. I heard the splash. Or so I thought. My buddies were all excited, "You aced the mini basket!" "What???" They saw the disc skip and crash dead in the mini basket. :eek:

So its not technically a "Black Ace", is it? So I say its a Grey Ace!

On courses that have two (or more) baskets installed on each hole, like Warwick Town Park or Borderland State Park or Pyramids, I've always heard the term "grey ace" to refer to "acing" the wrong basket on the hole to contrast it to "acing" a basket on an adjacent hole (a "black ace").

Seems like if the mini basket is on the same hole, grey ace works for that too.

Need a picture to help explain. There's a mini disc golf basket on the Full sized disc golf course??

Yes, the original course was a mini course called The Shadow of the Hawk. The the full sized course, Hawk's Landing followed the same lines as the mini more or less and then lengthened to more appropriate distances for standard discs.

Under construction right now is a separate full sized course thats even longer still.. It will be called simply, The Hawk.

. . . or you could just think that it isn't any kind of ace (but kinda funny), brush off the poor throw, pick up your disc and throw your second throw and then finish your round without giving it another thought.

it is called a grey ace but really doesn't count for anything, meaning no one will be impressed, but it's a fun story none the less

I can't remember where I saw it, but I've seen pictures of a standard basket with a min basket stationed on top of the standard basket. Real coo, IYAM.

Believe me other than the fun factor it doesn't mean anything more than a poor throw. We all got a good chuckle and moved on. Saving par on such a lousy drive was nice though.

Surprisingly it fit in the mini basket just fine. One of the guys I was playing with put a Zephyr in one of the mini baskets. Now that's pretty impressive.

Under construction right now is a separate full sized course thats even longer still.. It will be called simply, The Hawk.

:popcorn: :D

Now I'm definitely going back. That was my first stop on one of my road trips, and I loved it.

Chalk it up to just another day out playing the game you love :hfive:

Tighter basket. . .

Hmm. . .

I'd call it a Brown Ace!

Around here, a brown ace is when your disc goes into a trash can. I did this once. I was teeing off on hole 5 at Sylmar with an Icon Bandit. It didn't turn over like I wanted it to and so I yelled 'FORE'. I put it in the trash can on 6's tee.

Around here, a brown ace is when your disc goes into a trash can. I did this once. I was teeing off on hole 5 at Sylmar with an Icon Bandit. It didn't turn over like I wanted it to and so I yelled 'FORE'. I put it in the trash can on 6's tee.

Did you leave it there?

Grey Acine.

Diminutive suffix, because it's a mini basket.

Latest posts