• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A List of Firsts

I've always had a straight, pretty long drive. One of my most memorable firsts was the day my son outdrove me. He was 14 at the time. After that he lost interest and I am still waiting for it to come back. I guess outdriving the old man was enough for him.

Did he start beating you? That is when my dad started playing less ball golf with me. :) He kept playing with his friends that beat him fairly regularly. I think he has come to terms with me beating him now because we will go when we both have the time, but when I first beat him he took it pretty hard. Neither of us are really that good either. :p

My first time playing was circa 1990-91 in Chicago...yes, I know, a dead zone for reputable courses, but this was even less of what we call "disc golf"...it was for a church youth group fair, and the leaders had a book full of game and craft ideas, one of which was "Frisbee golf" of the target variety, so we used cheap lids and played around the church yard throwing to taped targets on trees, fences, and walls. We quickly moved from game to game, but the Frisbee golf stuck in my memory until I encountered an actual course nearly a decade later and commented to the person who was "introducing" me to the game that I had played it once as a youth, much to his surprise as DG was just starting to take off in Wisconsin around 1998-99.

I was playing disc golf in late 1980s in Wisco and could name a similar group of firsts to the OP. I remember driving to Hortonville (about an hour ride) to meet a guts player at a bar to buy my first three discs as there was nowhere to get them.

Not too long after that, I helped Mike get the course at Sandy Point up and running and was absolutely amazed that he had bin after bin of discs; from Norcal in his basement.

Did he start beating you? That is when my dad started playing less ball golf with me. :) He kept playing with his friends that beat him fairly regularly. I think he has come to terms with me beating him now because we will go when we both have the time, but when I first beat him he took it pretty hard. Neither of us are really that good either. :p

Nope, he just liked driving. My short game is way better than his.

I grew up in a town with less than 600 people in Tennessee. In 92-93, this guy in town with fields around his house put in a small 9 hole ball golf course. After about 9 months, I remember going by the course and seeing these metal baskets sticking out of the ground and wondering if they were some kind of golf club holder. I went back after I learned the game, but the course was gone. The guy had moved and no one knew anything about the baskets or where they might be.

I've always had a straight, pretty long drive. One of my most memorable firsts was the day my son outdrove me. He was 14 at the time. After that he lost interest and I am still waiting for it to come back. I guess outdriving the old man was enough for him.

I remember when my oldest son took the box from me for the first time. He was 12. Buddies hole 6 at Red B Owens in Easley SC.

I also remember watching my son Parker ring the chains on hole 12 at Sertoma Field with a side arm. The hole is 141' long. He smacked the chains hard right in the center and the disc didnt stick. He was 6 years old at the time.

my friends and i started playing rotisserie baseball, football, and basketball when we were juniors in high school after reading about it in sports illustrated. this was 1982. we would go to the school library during study hall to update the stats from the newspapers... "late" games on the west coast were a major pain in the arse.

Truly amazing.

The guys who started it, and wrote that article, wrote a series of books in the mid-80s. I came across one and we started up in '87. It was years before I met anyone else who'd heard of it.

I first saw disc golf baskets at Bradley Park in Peoria IL in the late 1980s, and threw frisbees at them a couple times. Those days I was always playing catch with the frisbee, freestyle tricks and stuff. I didn't think much of "frisbee golf" at the time.

Fast forward almost 20 years...first time I actually played disc golf was 2004.

I wish I had realized what I was missing...all those years I could've been playing disc golf.

I remember when my oldest son took the box from me for the first time. He was 12. Buddies hole 6 at Red B Owens in Easley SC.

I also remember watching my son Parker ring the chains on hole 12 at Sertoma Field with a side arm. The hole is 141' long. He smacked the chains hard right in the center and the disc didnt stick. He was 6 years old at the time.

Latest posts