• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A local Pro at my course is always doing 4 putts or more while I'm waiting to throw.

There are times at my home course where there maybe 2-3 groups waiting on the next hole. If I am playing by myself this is an opportunity to practice on the course rather than just playing a round. If there are groups behind me then I will limit my extra shots, throwing only two drives, maybe an extra upshot, and a couple putts. It makes no sense as a single to get through a hole in 2 minutes only to wait around for 5-10 minutes on the next hole. So either I am taking extra shots to practice or I will limit my throws and try to play through groups if they are courteous.

If I see that the group(s) behind me are getting antsy, then I'll let them play through. But there are times, when playing solo and the course is crowded that large groups behind me should be a little more patient. Look up the field and see the 2-3 groups on every hole and patiently wait your turn. I could be playing a foursome and you would be waiting just as long and then wait again on the next hole.

What I don't like is groups of 2-3 players that think just because I throw an extra drive that gives them the right to think they can play through even when the course is busy. There's a time and place when it is acceptable for these groups to play through, but not when the course is jam packed. Sorry if you're in a hurry then go to a less busy course or play a safari round out in the park. But if the course is not busy, then by all means I'll let groups play through if I am practicing.

I really like the part here where people are trying to defend someones' douchbaggery.

"It's a free country"...."people can do whatever they want"...."I'm so much more important than the guy behind me"............blah blah f*ing blah.

It's called manners. Etiquette. Respect. Do not try to defend someone lacking any of those things.

This reminded me of another round this weekend.

Took my boy out to play a round. I was going to practice - so i was just throwing my Wizard and he has his 122g Roc that he throws (7 years old).

We walked up to the first tee and a group of 4 guys were sitting around talking - when we got close one guy walks up to the tee and tees off and another guy says, We're going to go ahead and go, we're pretty quick.

Whatever - I guess the guys didn't think we were going to be faster than them. We ended up pressuring them on the next 4 tees till they let us go through.

There are times at my home course where there maybe 2-3 groups waiting on the next hole. If I am playing by myself this is an opportunity to practice on the course rather than just playing a round. If there are groups behind me then I will limit my extra shots, throwing only two drives, maybe an extra upshot, and a couple putts. It makes no sense as a single to get through a hole in 2 minutes only to wait around for 5-10 minutes on the next hole. So either I am taking extra shots to practice or I will limit my throws and try to play through groups if they are courteous.

If I see that the group(s) behind me are getting antsy, then I'll let them play through. But there are times, when playing solo and the course is crowded that large groups behind me should be a little more patient. Look up the field and see the 2-3 groups on every hole and patiently wait your turn. I could be playing a foursome and you would be waiting just as long and then wait again on the next hole.

What I don't like is groups of 2-3 players that think just because I throw an extra drive that gives them the right to think they can play through even when the course is busy. There's a time and place when it is acceptable for these groups to play through, but not when the course is jam packed. Sorry if you're in a hurry then go to a less busy course or play a safari round out in the park. But if the course is not busy, then by all means I'll let groups play through if I am practicing.

The whole point of letting people play through and limiting extra shots is to get to a point where you are trying not to have anyone wait. If you are playing by yourself you should be pushing to get past those groups. Why would you let groups of people play through if you are playing by yourself? That makes no sense to me and it slows down the course.

I can't believe the amount of people sayings it okay for him to sit there and practice.
Like others said, if there is no one behind you its okay but if there is just let them play through and boom, no one is behind you to be held up and you can practice all you want.

I also can't believe the amount of people saying its the latter person/group to ask to play through.
It's a simple little thing called not being a dick and offer the play through to the person behind you.

I can't believe the amount of people sayings it okay for him to sit there and practice.
Like others said, if there is no one behind you its okay but if there is just let them play through and boom, no one is behind you to be held up and you can practice all you want.

I also can't believe the amount of people saying its the latter person/group to ask to play through.
It's a simple little thing called not being a dick and offer the play through to the person behind you.

Yeah, practicing at other peoples expence is a jerk move.

We/I aren't saying you shouldn't invite people to play through, I'm saying that isn't the way it works. You can't be mad about not playing through if you don't ask.

there was case where me and my friends get on the course and it's empty. so we take our time have a couple coldies. about hole 7 all the sudden we see a pair waiting to tee up we felt like dummies waved them through and shared a beer w/them. all was forgiven. i know cool story

Manners respect etiquette. Seems lost these days.

My sentiments exactly. It seems that people are only concerned with themselves and completely ignore what's going on around them. My home course is in an extremely busy multi-use park and I deal with these situations all the time. Ignorance is bliss.

Down here in Texas I had never had a problem playing through a group until a couple weeks ago. I played a round at bear creek and got stuck behind a group of three people. I asked if I could play through and they told me to hold on a f@&$ing second it's not a race. So I let them know they were a holes and passed them on hole 6. They purposefully skipped the next hole to get behind me and started yelling when I drove. At this point I'm either going to jail or the hospital. We had a fun chat and they backed down seeing how I pointed out they were drunk in a public park. They must have pissed somebody else off because the cops where waiting for them when I got to the parking lot.
Cop: You see some drunk Hispanics on the course?
Me: No but I saw three Hispanics doing coke back there.
I hope the bitches got cavity searched.

funniest thing i've ever read... maybe that's too much, but i laughed.

We/I aren't saying you shouldn't invite people to play through, I'm saying that isn't the way it works. You can't be mad about not playing through if you don't ask.

Yeah, I guess that is true but I believe the person who is holding up the others should have the courtesy to offer before they have to get asked.

Yeah, I guess that is true but I believe the person who is holding up the others should have the courtesy to offer before they have to get asked.

The logistics don't work. That would mean the leading group would wait around for them to catch up just to ask, rather than moving along so they don't hold people up.

... and I've waited around plenty to let people play though, I don't hesitate to offer to let people play through.

But the general rule is "if you want to play through, ask"

Don't walk up and say "Hey, nice weather today" Then go online and post about the group not letting you play through.

The logistics don't work. That would mean the leading group would wait around for them to catch up just to ask, rather than moving along so they don't hold people up.

When my neighbor and I are playing with all of the kids, we try to keep an eye on the course behind us for safety reasons (not everyone looks to see if there is anyone on the fairway and it's no fun for a 4 year old to dodge discs). If we see a group moving more quickly, we will wait at a tee to let them play through.

There have been plenty of instances where I wanted to take a couple more drives/putts on a hole and I know it before I get to that hole, so, if there's a group behind me, when I get to that hole, I sit down on the bench and light up a smoke/open a beer and just wait. Even if I'm behind a group and catch up and they tell me to play through - if I know I want to throw multiples on that hole I tell them to go on and if I catch up I can play through when I do. To me, I'm going out to the course to relax and have fun - If I have to rush to play past someone or have someone on my heels then it's not going to be fun or relaxing. You should know the pace you're going to play at and be courteous enough to know if someone behind you is playing faster than you want to and let them play through, just as if you're playing faster and want to play through the group ahead of you should wait and let you play through. As others have said, communication is the easiest way to avoid conflict/being butt hurt.

We have some pros around here who do that as well. But what makes it worse is they will start on hole 2 right after you finish hole 1. I have no idea why every pro in the area has to start on hole 2, or why they don't let you play through when they see that you just came from hole 1, and then when all 3 or 4 of them throw 4 putts each it really pisses my group off. Then the pros will NEVER offer to let you play through, even though you are catching up to them on every teepad. This is how fights begin.

I don't think so. If someone want to play through it is on them to catch up and ask. Especially if they are going to cry about it later.

The only way to catch up to someone is to run the hole and try and finish the entire hole before the group in front of you tees off, that is just ridiculous and any group who expects the group behind them to do it is just being jackasses. The group that is holding people up knows they are holding people up and they need to wait at the next hole for the groups to play through, this is how golf has worked for decades and this is how disc golf works. Stop being a dick and let people play through your slow ass.

When we hold a group up most times we let them tee off while we're halfway down the fairway, finish up with them and then let them tee off first next hole.
I agree, I have never heard of anyone having to catch up and ask. The slower group, if they're experienced disc golfers, will know when they should let people play through.