• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] A mid that will fly like an opto pure when broken in

FriedInTheDesert

Birdie Member
Love the flight of the opto pure. Really hate the grip/feel.

Which mid could I cycle and get the flight of the pure over time? I'm in the desert so it's gotta be Z, champion, opto, etc.

mmmmm . . . opto pure is basically straight with fade. after a bit it's like a comet.

are you going for a beat or new opto pure?

'cuz i'm gonna say buzz, since opto pure has been compared to a mini buzz and i would definitely agree.

or a z comet.

probably more the z comet because pures don't really have fade after you beat them in.

I would reccomend a Proton Tangent, but you aint gonna break that bad boy in. But the Tangent flies for me just like an Opto pure but much, much longer.

I can 100% say a Buzzz.

When I throw my Buzzz's off the Tee I know it's gonna fly like a faster Pure or Vice Versa.

The Buzzz's I use is a Ti,ESP and a Z. The flight will stay the same for a long time,where the Elite X and Pro D will beat into being a little too flippy for my liking.

Lucid Truth. Same plastic. Same neutral flight with fade and about 3 speeds faster.

Lucid Truth. Same plastic. Same neutral flight with fade and about 3 speeds faster.

Ditto. I had my best round ever today at Vista Del Camino -10. And every time I threw the Truth, it was parked.

I also loved the flight of the opto pure but hated the grip. The truth feels and flies like a buzzz but is a hair faster and longer. It has a little fade unlike the pure but after a lot of trees it will be just what you're looking for.

Opto Core I think would be the closest flight. Imo the Truth is a tad more stable than the flight of the Pure but I do love the Truth also.

I'm actually going the other direction on this. I have a lucid truth that I love so I'm going to pick up an opto pure for something shorter than it. I guess the only question is, can you handle the truth?

Proton axis. I threw pures before it was the cool thing and can tell you there is no mid replacement for the pure if anything a pure will replace mids lol.

Axis for real tho no fanboi ish its got the same hss and like a beat pure the fade disapears with use.

Going to second a Buzzz. My Pure reacts similar to my Buzz on any angle, just a bit slower and shorter.

Why a mid? Being a putter, why not look into the Anode. Very similar flights with a more traditional putter rim. If you really want a mid, the Buzzz is the closest.

or a z comet.

probably more the z comet because pures don't really have fade after you beat them in.

Comets are very different. They're slow and glidey and need height to really do their thing.

I agree, Buzzz, Axis, Truth would be the "longer pure" you are looking for. There are subtle differences between the molds but they are close. Mids should generally have more fade at the end vs a putter but it should be close.

Last edited:
I have a crystal z buzzz that flies like my opto pures. Kinda just straight right out of the box.

Thanks for the info. I think I'm gonna put the wasp, buzz, king cobra, pure, and rhyno in the bag and see how they beat in. I will keep the truth and tangent in mind. I have a kc roc but i'm not going to throw that in the desert.