• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

A week in any city

FredVegasDGC

Double Eagle Member
I am going to spend a week in 2 cities in the western US next year. I have already decided one week will be in the San Francisco area.

Possibilities for other places....

Denver

Rapid City SD

One of the deciding factors has to be National Parks. San Francisco is a great choice because it's close to Yosemite.

So throw up some cities that would be great to visit, has a national park nearby and great disc golf. (LA & Vegas are excluded because Ive already been there)

go somewhere in southern utah. zion, bryce, arches, canyonlands, capitol reef. five national parks. just so much to do in such a small, unbelievably beautiful area of the country. moab might be good? and around that same area you have the grand canyon in AZ, great basin in NV, and mesa verde in CO.

heck, flagstaff is a great place. and not too terribly far from utah if you don't mind being a bit further out as far as a drive goes.

How much disc golf are you looking for? A weeks worth of courses could mean 3 or 30. Denver is a good choice, great options for DG within an hour or so and many other opportunities if you're willing to drive a bit.

Olympic NP (Seattle), Very good choice.

Tahoe. Beautiful location, proximity to beautiful wilderness, many great courses, well worth the visit.

Rapid City. Nothing spectacular for DG, a few unique experiences, but definitely wouldn't be one of my first choices.

Norcal. Arcata/Eureka, brilliant. Great DG, great cultural experience. A week would be great to experience all this area has to offer.

Spokane. Great concentration, plenty to keep you occupied for a week.

Portland. Great choice for quality DG to keep you busy for a week.

SLC. Beautiful location, great mountain courses, a couple hidden gems, a few days worth of great DG.

Moab, I love this area of the country for wilderness experience, only a select few disc golf courses that are well worth the experience.

If it were me choosing a place to return to for a week, I'd put my choices in this order. Norcal - Tahoe - Portland - Spokane - Seattle - SLC

I know it is not as far west as you were thinking, but I would love to spend a week in Dallas Ft. Worth

Seattle is freaking amazing in the summer. Highs in the 70's and sunny. Beautiful city with tons to do. Solid disc golf all around and if you were inclined, Portland is only about 3 hours by train or car.

National Parks nearby would be Olympic NP, Cascades NP, Mt. Rainer.

San Francisco, Seattle, and Denver are pretty much my three favorite US cities. Probably can't go wrong with any of them. I'll be in Denver for a week and a half this summer. July can't come soon enough!

yeah...the more i ponder the time of year and all...i'd agree that seattle is a top choice.

If it were me I'd go to Denver, Portland or Austin/Dallas combination.

If you are looking for national parks, like someone else already mentioned, southern Utah, especially Moab would a great choice. Arches NP is just minutes from town, with Canyonlands NP not being too far. Within a couple of hours you have multiple other NPs plus Monument Valley and Antelope Canyon being only a couple hours away as well. Definitely worth checking out, but then again so are many places.

If you are looking for national parks, like someone else already mentioned, southern Utah, especially Moab would a great choice. Arches NP is just minutes from town, with Canyonlands NP not being too far. Within a couple of hours you have multiple other NPs plus Monument Valley and Antelope Canyon being only a couple hours away as well. Definitely worth checking out, but then again so are many places.

yeah as far as national parks and the like go, this is the winner in my book as well.

I'd take Tahoe over San Francisco of course but I'm not a fan of big cities and endless urban sprawl.
I suspect flights to Reno are cheaper than to San Francisco and I know lodging is much cheaper.
Tahoe is as close to Yosemite as San Francisco and a much more pleasant drive. US395 down the east side of the Sierra is spectacular. No way to get your bike here?

Got a good bunch of DG'ers up here, be great to have you visit.

I would probally say the Denver Area for Epic golf and sweet national parks!! But upon thinking about it Tahoe area would be damn sweet too.

olympic national park is one of the coolest places i've ever been so seattle would be up there (or go a little north to vancouver, b.c.)

tahoe area is great as well.

if you've never been to yellowstone i would consider that as well. everyone should see it once.

Southwestern Utah is awesome if you want to visit the National Parks, but not so great for lots of disc golf. I spent a week at Brian Head resort last summer.

Brian Head DGC is about the only course in Southwestern Utah and is only installed during the summer. I liked Zion, Bryce Canyon and the North Rim of the Grand Canyon much better than Arches and Canyonlands NPs near Moab. FYI, Moab is about 280 miles from Zion, so it is not that close. Rim Rock DGC is in the Captiol Reef National Park between the Bryce Canyon and Moab. (sort of).

My favorite National Park would be Grand Tetons in Wyoming. It is much less visited than the more famous Yellowstone just to the north. Again, not a lot of disc golf here, but these are truly amazing National Parks.

If you look to Salt Lake City, I suggest staying in Park City to be close to Canyons DGC and Solitude DGC - both open in Summer only. Of course, I am biased as I love to combine my two passions, ski resort disc golf and mountain biking.

For great disc golf and a western adventure, hit up Lake Tahoe. Tons of hotels, tons of disc golf and tons of other activities. Best all around resort location of those named. I think I will be choosing Tahoe again this year, since they have added new courses since my last visit. However, I am waiting for the tournament dates to be announced.

Portland is on my list of places to visit as it is hosing US Women's this year and Pro Worlds in 2014. It looks very promising!

Last edited:
One of the deciding factors has to be National Parks. San Francisco is a great choice because it's close to Yosemite.

Define close? Yosemite is over 200 miles and a four hour drive from San Fran.:confused:

Define close? Yosemite is over 200 miles and a four hour drive from San Fran.:confused:

But also completely worth it.

Easily one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Fred, if you're looking for a cool place to stay while you're in/around Yosemite, my wife and I really enjoyed the Yosemite Bug. Cabins, tent cabins, hostel, a nice spa, some trails on site, a swimming hole, and a solid restaurant. And it was cheaper than most other options in the area. It's about a 30-40 min. drive outside the park.

We chose a tent cabin for our stay and really enjoyed it. The $10/day spa charge (optional) was also well worth it. Sauna, all natural hot tub(no chemicals), and showers were a nice treat after a day of serious hiking.

Latest posts