• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ace Race '13; question of ethics

iLessThan3DiscGolf

Par Member
I just took part in an Ace Race event over the weekend, and now my dad and a few friends are asking about going to another AR that takes place nearby. I'm really excited about getting more people involved with Disc Golf; two of these friends have only played once and my dad got me addicted to DG years ago.

Now my question is: since I competed in an Ace Race already, is it unfair for me to compete in another? I know it's supposed to be a 'level playing field' with the proto disc and all. I'll admit, I got very used to the proto-disc near the end of my 2nd AR round, and came VERY close to the basket on many occasions. I never aced or metaled though.

I would love to take part in another event, especially with my dad and some friends, but I don't want to be 'that guy' who's trying to beat the system. I just wanna throw!!!

What do you guys think? Thanks!!

Wouldnt you still have an 'advantage' if you paid full price and played with 2 new versions of the same disc youve gotten used to?

Eh. I say go for it. Ace races aren't really the most competitive events anyway.

Use the 2 new discs they give you. They will most likely fly like your others, but there is nothing unethical about it. You are not banned from Ace Races after playing in one.

Many people play multiple ace races. Some people buy used ace race discs ahead of their own ace race to try to learn them ahead of time.

Ace Races are meant to be fun, casual events, the slight competitive edge you might have really isn't a big deal.

If you're willing to pay for a new player's pack and use the two new discs you get, you should be welcomed with open arms.

Also, it's going to be a different course and probably not from the established tee boxes, so at least that aspect will still be new to you. Go for it.

I've played in 2 Ace Races for the last 3 years now. They're about fun, camaraderie, and throwing new discs - not competition. I also like seeing how different TD's set up the different courses for that particular disc. It won't be the same game, play in as many as your heart desires.

Ace Races are fundraisers...period. Support the club and donate $10 extra if that makes you feel better. Definitely go and support the hosting club.

Nothing in the rules that says you can't play in multiple Ace Races. Nothing unethical either.

One thing Discraft did clarify for the TDs this year is that a TD can not offer a "non players pack" price below the $25 (i.e. you pay $5 or $10 and use your disc from a previous Ace Race). If you do play in a second Ace Race, you need to pay the full $25 and use the discs from the second tournament.

Any time you have a chance to Play a round with your Dad. Go for it. I just did a AR with my son in Iowa City last Saturday, and I plan to do a local AC next month...