• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Aces: Hyzers Vs Straight Shots

Midnightbiker

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I was watching quite a few Ace videos on Youtube the other day, and it seemed that almost 70% of the aces were on a hyzer line, vs straight shots. My one and only ace was also on a spike hyzer. Has anyone else noticed that, or does it really not matter? If you are going for an Ace, should you try to throw a hyzer, if the shot is possiable?

My only two aces were on the same hole and they both happened to be on gentle hyzer lines. I was "robbed" of one at a different course on a big downhill spike hyzer - bounce-out. Coincidence I suppose. My two aces certainly could have been made throwing a straight laser as the basket was just under 200'. Those aces happened with a Roc and Quarter K for what it's worth.

3 hyzer aces -2 kc rocs and / 1 champ monster
1 any s turn ace witha putter.

so yeah....bout 75 of mine are hyzers.

Since the chains are the same for either type of shot and the disc is the same for either type of shot, there is no 'advantage' (to either one) there.
So it must come from - IF there is any advantage at all - from some other factor...such as:

1. disc spin
2. consistency of the thrower to hit a target with either flight type
3. angle the disc goes into the chains / basket
4. etc (I can't think this early in the am, so I'm covering myself with an "etc")

I'm guessing 1 is negligable; 3 might have a little to do with it; forget 4 (unknown); which leaves 2. Some people like to hit an object "in the front" (that which they were looking at) while some probably get greater consistency via eliminating the right side (always coming in from the right).

Go out and see how many HUGE trees you can hit (their trunks) via each...that'll probably give you your answer.

Karl

6 aces total
1-backhand Anny valkryie
2- dead strait Valkyrie
3- backhand hyzer Valkyrie
4- backhand hyzer Valkyrie
5- sidearm hyzer skip Valkyrie
6- BIG Anny dx roc

4 outta 6 for me but that is my preferred line to any basket.

I just hit my second ace yesterday. 272 feet and the smoothest straight hyzer line. The first was 276 feet and the same type hyzer.

From any great distance, I don't usually throw straight at the basket unless I have a backstop. I.E. a hill behind the basket. I try to plan my landings so as not to skip or roll too much.

FWIW, my only ace was also a hyzer where I was trying to ride the wind and thought I had misjudged my throw. As soon as the disc left my hand I thought I was going to be way long.

I believe all of my aces were on hyzer lines, it's a more accurate shot, and it seems like it would hit more chains than a shot that went dead straight into the basket.

1. Hyzer line Star Wraith
2. Straight Star Cro
3. Flick Hyzer CE Firebird
4. Hyzer Champ Classic Roc
5. Straight Star Cro

So unless its a Cro it will looks like it will be a hyzer for me.

I think because the hyzer is the natural flight of the disc it tends to be more accurate. I would say 85% of my aces were hyzer shots. I wouldn't say that a hyzer is a better ace run, but that most people will throw a hyzer with better accuracy because you are working with the disc as opposed to manipulating the flight.

4 outta 6 for me but that is my preferred line to any basket.

I believe all of my aces were on hyzer lines, it's a more accurate shot, and it seems like it would hit more chains than a shot that went dead straight into the basket.

These.

I think it has more to do with people preferring a hyzer line if it is available. The shot itself is less error prone, so missing by a little won't effect the line as much.

I'm not sure which to call my lone Ace.
It was thrown straight and flat, and just as it began to slow down, it leaned over and fell into the chains.
I think I'll call it a straight shot because it really didn't have a long hyzer line.

my ace was strage: a trashed pro D avenger SS thrown LHBH with some hyzer flips over to the left and disappears into the trees and into the cup. when i walked up to the basket, it was sitting in there in a way that looked like it came in on an anhyzer line, but i really have no clue what happened in in the air that day

All of my aces have come on pretty mush straight laser shots at the basket or straight shots that faded in at the end, none were thrown on hyzer lines

Latest posts