• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Add thumber, subtract strokes.......

Thumbers are a great weapon. But as with any shot, the more different shots you have in your bag, the better you are going to be able to shoot.

I agree, the more shots you are proficient at the easier it is to avoid the bogie. That being said, the thumber took the lest effort to become a trust worthy shot in my bag. I could see it becoming a crutch and limiting development in other areas. But I am happy with results so far. On different note, the scooby (I think that's what it's called) is an easy one to save shot here and there also. When you are in putting range and the basket is well protected with low hanging branches, turn your putter upside down and slide it under the trees to the basket.

Last edited:
I have been working on , or trying to , shaping stuff to the right. I haven't been able to get consistent right turning shots that I trust and it's costing me strokes. I can't hold the anny line, it turns and burns, glides out a mile if it holds...... Just not content with any anny/turnover shots. So I turned to the thumber. It's a more forgiving shot, and not as hard on the arm as some people claim. If your going for Max d , I guess it could be harmful? Any way , I have found it to be more consistent and reliable. I was able to improve my home course best by two, in 15-20 mph winds and can say that the thumber saved me at least 3 shots in the round. :thmbup:

I've been throwing a medium Vibram Ascent 170g for thumbers over the past 4 months or so, and it is shaving strokes on every round I play. Some discs hurt like hell ripping off my thumb, but this disc feels great. Try one!

I tried the Ascent for the Birdie Bash last year, and it was.... OK.

I prefer a Champ Teebird for everyday use and a Star Firebird for max-d. Mantis, Eagle, and XXX have gotten a look in that spot as well in the last year, and all performed well. I use a Valk if I need a tight flip.

I also used my mantis for thumber duty for a while, but mostly cause i didnt like it for rhbh. it rolled a little too quick for me. but good for 200ish thumbers , for me any way.

I love thumbers, especially being a lefty in a righty-friendly sport. :gross: I use mostly Flicks -- small rim, easy to learn, and predictable turns even after years of wear. I don't know that there is a more stable disc out there with such a nice small rim.

I would caution using Big John's video as a tutorial though, as he stops his forward motion to make the throw. Overhand shots can really tweak your body if you don't follow through, so just make sure you step through the shot.

I love thumbers, especially being a lefty in a righty-friendly sport. :gross: I use mostly Flicks -- small rim, easy to learn, and predictable turns even after years of wear. I don't know that there is a more stable disc out there with such a nice small rim.

I would caution using Big John's video as a tutorial though, as he stops his forward motion to make the throw. Overhand shots can really tweak your body if you don't follow through, so just make sure you step through the shot.

Absolutely. I was thinking the same thing, follow through is key.

Thumbers are cheating, just ask Mr. Sauls :p

... but I do'em all the time. Always fun to throw basically a sidearm thumber from 150' or so out and then let it skip/roll waaaay to the right and settle under the pin ... and everyone else in the group can't stand it :D

Absolutely. I was thinking the same thing, follow through is key.

was thinking more about the camera angles showing the flight of the disc than technique . I do find it strange that people are so concerned with injury in this throw? its the same way you have been throwing a ball all your life. more natural than bh or side arm imo. not as hard on the knees as the twisting of a bh either.

was thinking more about the camera angles showing the flight of the disc than technique . I do find it strange that people are so concerned with injury in this throw? its the same way you have been throwing a ball all your life. more natural than bh or side arm imo. not as hard on the knees as the twisting of a bh either.

I'm not in the best shape (yet) but I feel like it puts a lot of stress on my back and shoulder if I don't follow all the way through. Just my opinion though.

I can assure you that all baseball players follow through. If you don't, then you are going to injure yourself and you will likely not throw a ball far. :p. Technique is king.

If you can throw a good thumber I promise you're following though. If you're not, you won't be throwing thumber for long! For me wrist snap is the real key to a good thumber. If I don't get a good snap the disc wanders off line quickly.

Your disc hates you when you throw a thumber. It does a barrel roll and then crashes into the ground. It doesn't want to be thrown this way. That is why I am no good at thumbers, too much respect for my discs.

Seriously though, great shot for anyone's arsenal, especially here in Texas where most of the trees are pretty low so you can find some creative lines over the top.

Ya, prolly not best idea with baseline plastic. Part of the reason I have been using my champ tbird for thumbers, I want to beat a little of the over stable out of it so I can put it to work on the bh.

Got another round in today and saved a few strokes with the thumber again......however, it is quickly becoming a crutch and loosing faith in back hand approaches. When I was too close for a thumber, I was a little apprehensive with the back hand. Another, well known, down side to thumber is possibility of odd bounces and rolls. I had one land right on the mark inside of ten ft that skipped and rolled ob to cost me a throw. If I could putt better I could have posted a circle par, but carded the bogie. There is three holes at my home course that the thumber takes the stress out of for easy pars and occasional birdies that I used to struggle with par. So the thumber will stay in the bag, just need to stay on top of midrange/approach shots with the back hand so it's an addition to the bag and not a replacement.:thmbup:

I use the thumber nearly every round I play, great utility shot. Nothing like bombing a thumber through tight woods and seeing the looks on others faces like "what tha...", lol. One of my fav shots. I use star firebirds and star max.

I can assure you that all baseball players follow through. If you don't, then you are going to injure yourself and you will likely not throw a ball far. :p. Technique is king.

About a third of my throws are thumbers and they have taken a lot of strokes off my game.
Technique is indeed king.
If I may add a small word of advice,
Don't throw the thumber for distance. Most thumbers ruin people's shoulders because they put WAYYYY too much power into it.
Throw thumbers for accuracy, not distance. Easy and smooth is the key to injury-free thumbers.

Watching "Schwebby" or Matt Dollar and their overhand game has been a big help for me in learning to shape my shots. I was a pitcher all the way through into college, and got out before I had any injuries to my shoulder. While I can really uncork it for distance, it isn't required, technique IS king.

Disc selection has also helped me work distance into game. I mainly use a Trident for my thumber game, works great for most arm slots and angles out to about 280'. I have some lighter weight Firebirds and Monsters for beyond that, but not really trying to reach much past that most of the time.

Most of my thumpers are approaches , not drives. So max d isn't the focus, but have to know usable range so I know if I can reach something. Seems like 200 ish is my comfort zone as far as accuracy and ease of throw. I am starting to throw them farther with less effort as I settle into the throw. (I overshot a few on Sunday, that used to be 100% throws). No different than learning a bh. All that being said , it's the shape of the shot that brought me to thumbers. There is an approach shot on my local course with the basket in the middle of 4 trees, tricky wind conditions and tall cat tails that make a conventional shot difficult . The tee is also down in a hole that forces you to pull from low to high, that makes for a hyzer that flirts with a pond. If you get a decent throw you end up right against, or in the cat tails. A casual thumber from the tee, takes all the stress out of the tee shot. Lands about 200 short of the basket. Which is my perfect thumber distance. Start it to the left edge of the trees guarding the basket, it rolls over to the left up beside the top of the trees, then slips back to the right through a tiny gap and spikes out within 10 or less of the basket for easy par. Flip a coin for par before the thumber, pared last times with thumber. I have also got some " nice shot" compliments from other players that witnessed a nice park job from afar. Don't remember hearing compliments from players on other parts of the course before?

Last edited:
Played in my first doubles tourney today , And three of my thumbers from the t box were played for double birdies. ;) it's a great addition to the bag, and the players on the other team were not liking it!

I personally use thumbers for whenever i need to turn right with more accuracytgen a sidearm. Im at about 375ft for a max d with the flick that finishes with a roller.