• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] AGL Madrone & Manzanita...

tomn8r

Par Member
I just purchased these 2 disc's used off "the bay". I need the extra grip & flexibility for the winter! I asked the store how flexible the Manzanita was & he said it was about a SSS softness...interesting, because the Manzanita appears to be made by Gateway. The other..Madrone dosn't have any manufacturing name but looks just like it, from the limited pictures they had. But they both have a thumb track. Anyone have any experience with either? I also picked up a " Innova Cosmic Star Sonic ". It doesn't say anywhere on it "star Sonic! And it's supposed to be Dyed! Anyone got any info on them, or got 1 yet? Thanks. Tom

Attachments

• Cosmic Star Sonic.jpg
    Cosmic Star Sonic.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 22
I don't have a really good handle on this company; I know they are made by Gateway, but I can't keep them straight in my head.

NOTE: I'm not dragging them for using Gateway molds; a bunch of companies have done similar things with Innova and nobody cares if the discs are good. I'm just familiar with Gateway so comparing them to Gateway discs works for my brain.

What I think I know (but might not know since the point of this post is I don't know)
Baobab is a beadless Stego. It has a thread: AGL Baobab

Manzanita is the Iridium which was a beadless Scale. There was thread about the Iridium: Element Discs Iridium

Madrone is the Plutonium which is a Serpent with a VooDoo wing instead of a Magic wing. The Plutonium had a thread: Element Discs Plutonium PDGA Approved and Now Available!

Ponderosa is a putter that doesn't have the Reptilian top. It has the Magic wing, though. And the approval numbers are almost identical to the Magic. I'm going to say if it's not the Magic, it's reeeaaalllyyy close.

Beech is that prototype OS Gateway mid from 2019-2020 that never went into production. I have one of the Gateway prototypes (so I might be the only person on here that knows what I'm talking about) but haven't seen a Beech so I'm not 100% sure about that.

Magnolia is the Karma? Scout? I've been told it's an OOP neutral stable Gateway mid.

Sycamore-Fairway driver.

Locust-???

Cedar-???

Cypress-appears to be OOP. It has a thread: AGL Discs Cypress

Anyone who can add/correct information here is encouraged to, you know...post. :|
Three Putt dug up most of the info on AGL in this thread https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3771384#post3771384

https://gottagogottathrow.com/colle...sonic-putter-golf-disc?variant=42626775154847
I purchased a couple of the Star Sonics (un-dyed) and they are more flexible than the Halo Star ones made this year (might be a softer Star blend Innova uses to mold the Hero Dog discs). I believe GGGT purchased a full special run of them in both White and Black.

I just purchased these 2 disc's used off "the bay". I need the extra grip & flexibility for the winter! I asked the store how flexible the Manzanita was & he said it was about a SSS softness...interesting, because the Manzanita appears to be made by Gateway. The other..Madrone dosn't have any manufacturing name but looks just like it, from the limited pictures they had. But they both have a thumb track. Anyone have any experience with either? I also picked up a " Innova Cosmic Star Sonic ". It doesn't say anywhere on it "star Sonic! And it's supposed to be Dyed! Anyone got any info on them, or got 1 yet? Thanks. Tom
The Madrone & Manzanita both use the Reptilian Disc Golf putter groove top, so they are often compared to the RDG putters.

The Manzanita is essentially a beadless RDG Scale; the Scale uses the Wizard wind and the Manzanita uses the Warlock wing. It's not a 100% accurate description since the Warlock isn't a beadless Wizard, but it is a beadless wing. IMO out of the box the Scale and the Manzanita are pretty close; the Scale is just a tick more OS but they both execute the same shots. They both are nice OS wind-fighting putters. The Manzanita beats in more quickly and loses the predictable fade, but it doesn't happen overnight or anything. If you like an OS/low glide putt & approach disc but prefer a beadless wing, it's a viable option.

The Madrone uses the VooDoo small bead wing and is often compared to the RDG Serpent, which uses the Magic wing. For me personally the VooDoo doesn't really do anything unique enough between the Warlock and Magic that I felt like I needed to mess with it, and I've taken the same approach with the Madrone. So I've never thrown it, but people who like it say it's a nice stable putter. The Serpent is dead stable, so they are probably similar but I'd expect the Madrone to be a tick or two more OS than a Serpent.

Well the 2 AGL discs are nothing like SSS plastic! The person at the store either doesn't know anything about Gateway plastic or was just out to make a quick sale! It's basically like DX plastic with a decent grip. Either way i'm not going to buy any more used discs from them!! OTOH, the cosmic Star Sonic is nice with good grip. I'd like to get a white one/ wipe the stamp & do a "custom dye"...patern.

Well the 2 AGL discs are nothing like SSS plastic! The person at the store either doesn't know anything about Gateway plastic or was just out to make a quick sale! It's basically like DX plastic with a decent grip. Either way i'm not going to buy any more used discs from them!! OTOH, the cosmic Star Sonic is nice with good grip. I'd like to get a white one/ wipe the stamp & do a "custom dye"...patern.

I have been putting with the Madrone for almost 3 years and I can say the woodland plastic is much better and a tad more premium than DX. Then when we go to woodland hemp plastic I think its the best "base" blend there is in the market. Great grip and soft, but not too soft. There have been many runs of woodland plastic and they have the knowledge to make hard/medium/soft runs out of it. The hard run is the closest to dx but isn't the same still imho.

I have been putting with the Madrone for almost 3 years and I can say the woodland plastic is much better and a tad more premium than DX. Then when we go to woodland hemp plastic I think its the best "base" blend there is in the market. Great grip and soft, but not too soft. There have been many runs of woodland plastic and they have the knowledge to make hard/medium/soft runs out of it. The hard run is the closest to dx but isn't the same still imho.

Just bought a small stack of Voodoos, and I love the feel of the plastic. Extremely rigid, but tackier than my Jawbreaker Roaches. I prefer the slightly lower profile of my Roaches, but I dig the recycled rubber with hemp, so I've been considering switching over. Now I see the Madrone online, and it has the thumbtrack. I've always wanted a GT Roach, and this is nearly that.

Does the Madrone have the raised tooling in the center of the disc (Like Gateway has been running?)

Just bought a small stack of Voodoos, and I love the feel of the plastic. Extremely rigid, but tackier than my Jawbreaker Roaches. I prefer the slightly lower profile of my Roaches, but I dig the recycled rubber with hemp, so I've been considering switching over. Now I see the Madrone online, and it has the thumbtrack. I've always wanted a GT Roach, and this is nearly that.

Does the Madrone have the raised tooling in the center of the disc (Like Gateway has been running?)

The RDG top on the Madrone is not much of a GT type thumbtrack. It's much shallower, makes for a nice rest but its main effect is it kicks glide down a notch or two making for a good dumpy slow disc.

They had the bottom tooling in the past, but if I remember correctly the newest runs of the madrone&manzanita are without bottom tooling.

The RDG top on the Madrone is not much of a GT type thumbtrack. It's much shallower, makes for a nice rest but its main effect is it kicks glide down a notch or two making for a good dumpy slow disc.

I've felt that shallow GT on a different Gateway molded disc, by Element...the company must have packed it in. Not finding them online. The Plutonium looks like it was the exact same mold as the Madrone. The disc I got hands on was the Iridium: a Warlock with the track.